ZBrushCentral

Z4 Beta Testing By: Ryan Kingslien (Nudity)

Thank you Pixologic for another amazing update to ZBrush! It was truly a pleasure to be on the other end of the beta team and to see ZBrush with fresh eyes.

For those just getting their heads around ZBrush 4, here is a list of my favorite features:

Shadowbox: The single biggest update for me. Quickly create sculptable geometry using nothing more than a mask. I’ve created a presentation of how to use Shadowbox to create an ecorche of your sculpted figure. This is something we’ll be doing in Anatomy Tools Level 2 workshop planned for September.

//youtu.be/F8ddai3624U&hd=1

Tranpose Measurements: “So, the clavicle is, uh, .75 heads long, how long is mine?” Instead of sticking your pen to the monitor and measuring this tool saves me loads of time and keeps my eyes honest.

Timeline: Uh, whoa. Did I just step into Maya or is this still ZBrush? Its looks kinda crazy complicated like Maya but, uh, wow. This is one amazing feature for presentations. Use it with XPose. Use it with Layers. Just use it. Really cool presentation tool. The exploding view of anatomy as well as the turntables at the start of the video above use Timeline.

Move Elastic: Man, this makes my life so much easier when creating shapes. Use this with shadowbox created geometry and your sculpting workflow just got faster. I use it in the video above to quickly stretch out forms without worrying about topology.

Finally, Materials and Rendering: SSS and Transperancy?! The updates to the material system are amazing. The ecorche image below is rendered using the new Best Preview Render’s transparency, shadows and AO just to show you what you can do! Total render time: 30 seconds!

ecorcheMedicalComp_01.jpg](http://www.zbrushworkshops.com/free-workshop.html)

Edited 8/19/10:
I just completed the Comprehensive Introduction to ZBrush 4Workshop! More than 15 hours of content and, of course, me. :slight_smile:

[attach=210927]banner_introzb4_897_02.jpg[/attach]

Happy ZBrushing to everyone!

Thanks team!

Ryan Kingslien

Edit: Free workshop extended even more and Introduction workshop added. :slight_smile:

Attachments

soldier9_v2_standing_04_clay_080110.jpg

anatomyXPosed.jpg

modelBreakdown.jpg

characterSheet.jpg

hardsurfaceworkflow.jpg

freeworkshop_640.jpg

banner_introzb4_897_02.jpg

Really cool stuff Ryan! :+1:

wow i’ll definitely hit the workshop up soon thanks a bunch.

Awesome work Ryan!
maybe I can shadowbox a skeleton and try it out :slight_smile:

ryan, great quality - always on the spot! thanks for the free workshop.

please do some more advertisement for your workshops! i was really surprised to find so little information… the ad on pixologic’s page is large but almost invisible… :wink:

keep rockin’!!!

chem!

Very impressive Ryan! :cool:

Beautiful work Ryan. The tut on the brushes is also fantastic. Your website has some great tuts. Thanks for sharing :cool:

awesome man! it’s really good work :+1:

wow really amazing stuff! i always learn so much from your tutorials vids:cool: :cool:

Did you update the tutorials on the workshop to reflect the z4 changes? especially that special package one that gives you all of them? I can’t wait to check out that workshop.

Master! Ryan great job and superb tips:+1:

Thanks guys!

ineversleep, let me know how it goes. :slight_smile:

chemkid - on it! The Comprehensive Introduction to ZBrush 4 workshop is already in production and is schedueled for release on 8/19 and will be the harbringer of more promotion. :slight_smile:

womball - the workshops will be updated for ZBrush 4, if needed, once the Comprehensive Introduction to ZBrush 4 workshop is released. Keep in mind, the All Workshops! will include the ZBrush 4 workshop, as well. It should be some serious ZBrush madness!

Also, if you’re interested in the Anatomy Workshops Andrew Cawrse and I are developing for Anatomy Tools check out their page here and click the notify us link.

useful post…
thank you :slight_smile:

great work Ryan,as always

Alex Oliver

I think I’ve learned more from you than I did at my $60k school. Can I live in your basement?

This is just great!:+1:
Im creating a skeleton at the moment and this was exactly what I was planning to use shadow box for when Im done!

alexleia! Great to hear from you. Hope all is well and you’re having fun sculpting!

Thanks for the kind words KillahPriest! If it wasn’t for ZBrush, though, I wouldn’t be teaching a thing here. Shadowbox is the perfect tool, in my mind, for teaching sculpting and anatomy.

In fact, it IS what our brains have to do when learning anatomy. We first take in 2D shapes and silhouettes from books and the life model and then convert those to 3D shapes that we can rotate around in our mind and apply to our sculpt.

Its just a crazy awesome feature. I couldn’t be happier with the software!

Ryan

Great work and thanks for the workshop - it was really helpful to get base-level insight into the ZB brushes. What was wrong with the guy’s butt though - was it not hard-surface enough? :slight_smile:

hey ryan all i can say is that your brush workshop is extremely eye opening. i had no idea. thanks a ton for that, it was nothing short of awesome!:D:D:D

This is Really Great Studies and movies!! thanks for sharring and congrats for models!!!