ZBrushCentral

Z4 Beta Testing By: Christopher Brändström

Here is the final image rendered with the new Best Preview Render in Zbrush 4.
I recommend you download the full resolution renders (5000 x 3297) to be able to see all the details on the model. You can do this by clicking on these links:

Full Rez 01
Full Rez 02

Ok, so what I wanted to start with is the now very simple way to create pretty advanced geometry within minutes, using the new feature called ShadowBox in Zbrush 4.

We can start with a simple breakdown of the shield I created for my temple.

If you haven’t tried the ShadowBox yet, you can turn it on by pressing the ShadowBox button under the SubTool menu.

As you can see on the picture below I projected a black and white alpha onto the ShadowBox geometry. This creates a shape which is quite blobby and doesn’t really give me the detail I want, as you can see. The Res i set to 128, so we need to increase that.
By testing, I found out that the optimal res for this model is 512.

Shadowbox_128.jpg

Attachments

Shadowbox_512.jpg

Shield_Persp.jpg

Together with a feature found in previous versions of Zbrush, a powerful feature I actually haven’t seen be used that often is SweepProfile3D. Which kind of works like the revolve-tool in Maya.
I used SweepProfile3D to create the general shape of the columns for the temple. Using Initialize to create the length, bevels and such I was able to get the shape I wanted without having to use alot of different techniques or any other software for that matter.
A tip is, if you want to create small details like bevels on a pretty large object. Just double click on one of the focus points in the curve editor and you’ll get a zoomed view of that area. Just like in the picture below.
Together with ShadowBox that I showed earlier, I created the final version of the column.

Pillar.jpg

The Manticore piece was created using the traditional ZSphere’s and the wing were made by using ZSketch and a few different alphas.
After working with Zbrush for 6 years, I really have to say that I think ZSphere’s is one, if not the most underestimated major feature of Zbrush. I must admit, they were a bit tricky at first. But once you learn how it work, man are they effective and you get results fast!

Manticore.jpg

Obvious this is not a complete tutorial for all the smaller models and techniques that were used in creating this piece, but it’s a few of them. The big ones I would say, although they do require previous knowledge of Zbrush.
If you have any questions regarding any perticular piece of the model, feel free to ask and I’ll try to answer them the best way I can.

The most important thing though is, enjoy and explore Zbrush 4. Can’t wait to see what this new release will do for this already fantastic Zbrush forum.

unglaublich! wow! mad details in your work.

chem!

Speechless!!! :eek:

Darn this is really good. Thanks for sharing

chemkid:
Thanks Chemkid! Yeah, I’m kinda a detail freak. :slight_smile:

thedust:
:slight_smile: Thanks!

dagoned:
No problem!

Hey man!

Awesome work man! So cool you got selected for Z4 beta! :slight_smile:

I am really amazed by the amount of detail put into this building.

How did you create the details/bricks for the column?

promaster?

/Jonas

Fantastic work.

Can you tell me how you projected a black and white alpha onto the shadowbox? I am guessing you made the black and white image in another program and imported it in as an alpha. I am unsure how to project that onto the shadowbox to get my shape.

Great work. So, everything was done just using zbrush?

total jaw dropper this one and makes you wonder what’s around the corner?.. when do we start 3d printing buildings? the potential is off the chart… awesome work!!

Wow, missed this one, looking great! :+1:
Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Sorry for taking too long to answer any questions. Have been in Tunisia for a week getting my tan on! Getting a tan from the computer screen isn’t good enough apparently.

Energise:
So we meet again and again and again and… :wink:
Yeah it’s a real honour to participate in the betas. Did a hardsurface model for the R3-release as well.
The bricks for the columns were made with using a displacement texture wrapped around the pillar using UVMaster. And then applied as geometry. It’s a shortcut or even a cheat if you’d wanna call it that, but it works. Have I had the time I would’ve created them brick by brick to make them more genuine and the cracks between each brick deeper.

jbartley:
Thanks!
You can simply toggle the alpha selection mode by pressing and holding down Ctrl, choose DragRect and then your alpha. Then just drag your cursor while holding down Ctrl onto the ShadowBox. Just make sure you have a proper resolution on the ShadowBox like I explained earlier and you should be good to go. :slight_smile:

Grugi:
Thank you! Yepp, pretty much! A few textures tweaked in Photoshop though.

earthtriber:
Ha ha! Yeah probably. :slight_smile: We actually talked about 3D-printing and piracy the other day. Guessing that’ll be the next big thing even if it’s a few years until then. But you’ll probably gonna be able to download designer furniture as a 3D-model and print it using different materials. That’s my guess at least.

Santis:
Well, you’re here now so you didn’t miss it. :slight_smile: Thanks!

Great Job! :+1: looks amazing! thanks for sharing your art work.
Can you tell me how did you make the grass? Thanks.

Very impressive work. Nice to see a fellow Swede doing so well in the Industry. I am myself very interested in drawing and architecture and especially greek/roman classical architecture so seeing your temple was very cool. I just came back from a trip to Florence and Rome and it got me inspired to try some modelling of my own.

I’m a newbie to ZBrush but with your posts I have been able to create my own columns and I am also enjoying the Shadowbox technique. I did have a question regarding the acanthus that you have on the capital of the orders. Did you do these using Shadowbox technique? If so, I guess you would need a mask for both the backplane and the right plane? Maybe there is an easier way to do these plants that I don’t know about… Second question: How do you place them on the capital? Are they different subtools that you combine together?

I am looking forward to see more models from you.

Thanks

Hey Christopher,

Great work! I have a quick question for you. How did you project around the pillar without stretching on the sides? On larger cylindrical objects I’ve used symmetry and it’s worked well, but smaller ones seem to be a problem. Thanks,

Jm

Thats look great, i love the detail in you work.