Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Post BODYWORKS

A big thanks to Martin Krol (Ambient-Whisper) whose modeling videos (which can be found HERE ) have given me a better understanding of box modeling. Truly Martin...those videos have given me insights that otherwise may have taken me many more months to attain. I still have a great deal more to learn but I feel more comfortable now using this method.

This figure is the direct result of watching Martin's Demon video....although I have "Mentat-ized" it to fit my own tastes. I started by doing the rough model in Wings 3D. Then I imported it into ZBrush and continued the detail work. I will probably tinker with it some more and add more detail. I also need to come up with a head.....I was so focused on the body that I never thought to create a head. LOL.

Here is the Wings 3D model I created:

And here are the results after working it over in ZBrush:

Just wonderful, congratulation¡¡¡¡¡
    Masterpiece¡¡¡

You realize I hate you now...lol....outstanding job Lonomatrix..you would show this in the middle of my goofing around time tonight..now I have to go seek out the knowledge of Z ages.

Talking

Whew! Nice results Lonnie! Thanks for the links to the videos too. Who knows maybe even I can become a decent modeler.

I can't get the movies to play. Any ideas?
    Dave

thank you for the link mentat, very appreciated. - your method presented looks similar like mine, only i do not start that low poly.

i only recently found out that it is much better not using the smooth in the deformation globally, since it destroys what you carefully modeled so far. its better just subdividing and smooth with the draw tool manually... but i am sure you did exactely that.
    my fun with zbrush thread, my homepage riolama, and my zbrush blog

*runs off to download more brains*

LOL..I am giving wings a go now too...Thanks for sharing this Lonnie...Very amazing stuff.

New Member Follow User Gallery

>>> Kinda off topic >>>

WOW. I have to say, that demon video is amazing. Or I should say, Martin, YOU'RE AMAZING. I first used Nendo back before they made Miria, but I've never seen a better recorded session than that in any program.

I think I'll have to pop it into WinDVD and slow it down A LOT to get all the goodness out of it. But again, WOW!

After seeing such modelling prowess... *SIGH* ... Really makes you realize how far you gotta go (and may never get there).

You da man Martin.

Andre Khromov

Member Follow User Gallery

Thumbs up

Thank you Mentat for the link. These a great tutorials and resources.

Michael

NOW THATS QUALITY.....fantastic stuff Mentat...very good transformation!!!
    I like the suttle details and finger and toe nails you have added....once you add the head and maybe fix up the the lower leg, its seems abit wierd how his bigger toe is on the outside of his foot...as if he has a different walking method?... this will totally rock!!!...perfect for testing the new zb freatures!!

Great stuff

Kircho

oh man , lonnie this rules !

good time to download videos ... probs with my connection 330 kb/S dropped to 6 kb/s ...

Oh well I got time
    EDIT : OMG I just watched that demon video , there's a monster spawning out of cubes !!!!!
    Brilliant , I wonder why I havent seen this video yet on loads of 3D sites.

hey man, glad you liked the video=)

btw. some things to watch out for.

when doing the base of the character in whatever app, while the model is still very low in detail, try to use the XYZ hotkeys to see the posture and balance of the character.

so for example..in this image you will notice that in his current stance he is well balanced, doesnt look as if i can just "tip him over" hes also not leaning in any particular direction. so hes not gonna fall ( plus usually giving the character some form of interesting pose will give the character...character ( say you model an old man, if you make him slouching a little, you will pretty much carve the character into your model right from the get go.

anyway great work keep it up.

Well done Lonnie! great modeling.

Thanks Martin! Yeah I know all about center of gravity and form of pose...easy enough to do on paper...not quite as easy to put it into 3d and keep it there lol! And as you say interesting pose/stance makes for an interesting character. I couldn't agree more. I use the XYZ viewing often in all my 3d apps and that is an excellent tip that many people often overlook. This was really just an excersize in mechanics...I found those polys didn't want to cooperate or conform to my "ideas" of what it should look like. Consequently he looks rather rigid. He is quite top heavy and I doubt a creature of that stature would stand up quite so straight. The feet and lower legs are a little small too, which adds to the off balance look. I also used SBend on him which threw the entire model off center. Oh well. Live and learn. I made a lot of mistakes while modeling him and most of them I recognized after the fact. The cool thing is I know what to watch for next time and I have a good idea how to avoid or correct those same mistates.

BTW: I think I will try using EDIT/MOVE to try and get him back into proper alignment/pose. Hopefully I can exert some control over it and not destroy the work I have already done on it.... To Be Continued.......

Question

Amb,

Another thought on home position character poses.

If you intend to animate a character using some kind of kinematics bones system isn't it better to create the original character in a non-gravity, non-balanced stance (i.e. the classic crucifix pose) and use the bones system (after setting rotation parameters,etc.) to create the actual home-position pose for the figure?

Or doesn't it matter?

I'm asking as someone who has done some, limited bones animation of figures, with some limited success.

BTW Mentat7: Nice Box-method model!

Sven

Once again...great stuff...I saw those videos and I must stay I too am awe-inspired.
    I have a question for you though Lonnie. Considering you have been using Wings for a little bit. Can you give me an estimation of its modeling abilities in relation to the videos modeling (with Mirai). Thanks man. I have been playing with it for a few hours and its a pretty friendly app.

Cheers man! Keep us updated.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast