Member Follow User Gallery

cajunctionAI:

Well, I have a very simple computer, simple HP with an AMD Phenome II x6 (6 cores) 2.9Ghz overclocked at 3.4Ghz, 16 gigs a ram (There was 4, added some) and a NVidia GeForce GTX 750Ti. My computer cost 600$ CAD and I've added around 400$ worth of parts (RAM and Graphics)

Blender viewport still uses OpenGL 1.0 and they will soon update to 3.0 (If its not already because since the last version it is already faster in the viewport (2.73a)) made a quick test, and it starts lagging at about 2.4 million tri.
    Jeannot Landry
    Creative Factor Studio
    Moncton, New-Brunswick, Canada
    jeannotlandry@creativefactor.org
    www.creativefactor.org

I have the NVIDIA Geforce 610 and it struggles with Blender. The graphics card is key when it comes to 3D. Blender takes up a lot of resources to run which could be why it lags, thats why it lags on my computer.

Try updating your openGL drivers, that always helps
    Jeannot Landry
    Creative Factor Studio
    www.creativefactor.org

I wish it were that simple, but how would I update GL drivers when I already have latest drivers from amd ? I realize you were prob. referring to person with GL card though.

I wish it were possible,but afaik, the real issue is blender here, where they are using very OLD GL drivers for the viewport,like 1.0 I hear, that isnt helping at all, given my current amd HD 7750 card, if the GL in blender were to be 'udpated' would fly as my amd card has

has gl 3.3 in it, more than enough.

Cheers, come on blender we need this updated

ty all, for input.

Yhea blender has some flaws, like the viewport being still on OpenGL 1.0 but they are working on it as we speak. However, for something completely free, and that packs a serious punch, you can't really be too picky. Unlike the huge price tag Maya or Max has, I think its awesome for something free. I was a Maya user before switching to blender in 2008. Maya would crash on me like 50 times a day, had to have auto save set to 5 mins. I've crashed blender maybe 5 times since 2008.

FYI: You can always put your model on bounding box views for faster viewport handling.

Btw, AMD = OpenGL or OpenCL
    NVidia = Direct X

Doesn't matter what card you have, its not because you have the latest AMD drivers that you have the latest Direct X or OpenGL drivers. And more often than not, when they have a new update, it messes things up for a little while until a better update comes out. When that happens, I tend to rollback drivers.
    Jeannot Landry
    Creative Factor Studio
    www.creativefactor.org

I get that, Im not sure 'free' gives them any carrying ability to continue with such OLD GL software, but sure I know, oss and all that, typical ( just my opinion of some of it,not aLL). I'm a tad surprised though, its not like they aren't getting help from GSOC, I think instead of pushing new features all the time, upgrading their old code would do far more good, and then people like me aren't going to be considering modo or maya anymore; food for thought

I came here originally to get help with sculptris and my GTX 8800 card, then I realized the gtx is 6 yrs older even if it has a 3 times faster bit rate, the HD 7750 is just almost twice as fast on core speed, so that issue was resolved, then I found this thread accidentally.

It wasn't me being picky, that has nothing to do with it , its called realistic and objective, because Iv'e often heard blender is maya's equal,and if that were so, I wouldn't have to resort to maya for decent viewport handling I don't think.

Having said that, I prefer blender, which is why I was trying to figure out if I could get better perf. now and wait until GL is updated in viewport
    But yes, I already tried bounding box, but using it on my very complex mesh isn't going well at all, I'll keep trying, but last night in #gameblender, freenode, someone tried helping, but the bb wasn't working, afa cutting mesh into slices and making those individual pieces..I kept getting really odd results. ON a real basic , cube, no probem at all. Anyway this is way off topic now, back to model sharing !

Some amazing models out there, and ty to community for being willing to share them!

Ty for info
    cheers

You can always take your sculptris model, save it as high and reduce it considerably, than you can bring the lowered version in blender to do retopo, then you can transfer details using XNormals. Thats sort of the old school way of doing things back when ZBrush wasn't what it is today. I did use those techniques quite a lot myself both with ZBrush and sculptris. And also back when I was using Maya.

I understand your point, but there is always a work around. High density mesh isn't always the way to go. For quick sculpts it definitely is, but if you'd let say want to animate that model, well, best to retopo and transfer details with either normal maps or displacement maps.
    Jeannot Landry
    Creative Factor Studio
    www.creativefactor.org

Default wonderful

i do this just for fun because i like it. you all have such talent that i hope i can grow to. i so enjoy seeing the wonderful work here.

"
    You can always take your sculptris model, save it as high and reduce it considerably, than you can bring the lowered version in blender to do retopo, then you can transfer details using XNormals. Thats sort of the old school way of doing things back when ZBrush wasn't what it is today. I did use those techniques quite a lot myself both with ZBrush and sculptris. And also back when I was using Maya.

I understand your point, but there is always a work around. High density mesh isn't always the way to go. For quick sculpts it definitely is, but if you'd let say want to animate that model, well, best to retopo and transfer details with either normal maps or displacement maps.

"

Yes, I know how making a low poly works, and I also know I 'need' that for game creation, but atm its rough going. I can't use sculptirs anymore because model is so large that sculptirs is now lagging considerably. Usable, but a horrible experience, plus, the underside of my mesh is full of caves,
    and I used to be able to make that visible with H and RMB but that no longer works, which is prob. the main reason I can't use sculptris anymore, but yes when I get a 'acceptable' low res meaning the areas that are very game quest specific and important, can be saved from the reduction process,
    then yes I can make progress with xnormal , absolutely.

The mesh is just huge is all, its not your typical game mesh, but its a must because of the storyline, but Im working hard on bring down tri count. It was 1.16 mil tri, now its down to 770k , yikes still far too much, but Ill keep working on it, I know I can get it down a lot more, it just takes a lot of time,
    to do so, given it must be done manually; using 'reduce brush' in sculptirs takes away polygons in areas that must not be touiched, so that's the main problem here

As noted, the main problem is that I can't get the underside of mesh, where huge cave system is to show up , that used to work great but no longer and its a real showstopper, so I had to go to using meshmixer.

Cheers
    caj

Default Yoda

This is my first 3D model Iv ever made, Im having alot of fun, wish I had zbrush but Sculptris is great.

Did it in about an hour, little more editing and its just like the Disney Infinity Yoda

Preview on Sketchfab or download there

New Member Follow User Gallery

Greetings to you, my American friends, I'm from Russia. I decided to share my work with you sculpture- hel, bird and Emblem of Russia and the US:
    http://download1580.mediafire.com/14...+%28obj%29.rar

1: http://download1327.mediafire.com/26...0%C2%BB+3D.rar
    2: http://download944.mediafire.com/nas...3%90%C2%BA.rar

New Member Follow User Gallery

If you like the Screenshots, Im more than happy to offer you the file
    Only just started using this software so dont judge me too much haha!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	497.5 KB 
ID:	460409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facing.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	324.1 KB 
ID:	460410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side_back.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	361.0 KB 
ID:	460411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front_side.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	460412  

Default DT Dragon Bust Tutorial Sculptris/Blender

Blender Tutorials > Conceptual Sculpting on a Budget in Sculptris and Blender Tutorial > Digital-Tutors

Digital-Tutors

In this Sculptris and Blender tutorial we'll learn how to effectively use these 3 awesome free apps to create a high quality concept sculpt for presentation
    Jeannot Landry
    Creative Factor Studio
    www.creativefactor.org

New to this forum and Sculptris, but I want to become a game designer and I need practice on this program before I get into college. I went to two game design summer camps over the past two years, but this is my first time using a 3D sculpting program outside of those. It's my terrible looking melted ice cream!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2891011