ZBrushCentral

I can Zbrush on my ipad!

Hi,
I just wanted to fyi everyone and let you know that im able to sculpt in zbrush with my ipad. I will post a pic shortly. I’m using “Air Display” and I can finger paint geometry. pretty cool, clunky but I just figured it out.

Hope Zbrush takes advantage of this in the near future. If I could just use my lap top for pallets windows and have a separate, adjustable 3d window, that would be a great start!

Is it already possible to break up windows and I just missed the how to?

Hi Elias,

Congratulations on the ipad.

This is the only post I have found so far on adjusting the interface, maybe ZBrush 4 will have further options/customizations.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=75519&highlight=monitor

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

But there’s no pressure sensitivity correct:qu:

Actually i’m getting great results now that I have had some time to play. Pressure sensitivity appears to work, may not be to everyones liking.
So far so good.

Now this is the best part,
I’m now free to take my zbrush project anywhere I want with in wifi range of my workstation. Freedom people! Death to the desk!

Photo on 2010-08-01 at 00.32.jpg

Attachments

Photo on 2010-08-01 at 00.33 #2.jpg

Death to the desk! …at a whopping 5 frames per second! :lol:

I wouldn’t post this if it the refresh was lagging in any way. I know, must please the skeptics, thats healthy. Video coming soonish.

This is not just a happy accident or a perfect solution, but a step in a good direction. hoping to show that its possible and maybe application development could move in a desk free direction.

So far the real issue I’m having is with the pallet realistate on the ipad.
everything else, so far, is killa!

There’s some reviews and demonstrations of ‘Air Display’ on youtube and they’re all laggy.

Maybe they’re all just unlucky and have poor a wifi connection. I dunno…

And Air Display doesn’t support pressure sensitivity. Perhaps you have a special version of the software? :slight_smile:

Hey Elias, sounds cool,

I already thought about this a while ago…
I also think that this would be some step in the right direction. Sculpting directly on the screen and taking the ipad with you wherever you go would be way cool :+1:.
The reason why I don’t buy a Cintiq -apart from the horrifying price (yes Wacom, you guys are overplaying :-1:!)- is that you still need a computer to be connected to. With an iPad that would be friggin’ cool and I’d be the first to buy one (well apart from those zillions of people who already got one). But the biggest iPad has 64 gigs, so I doubt that you can shift around a few million polys, which is necessary when it comes to detailed sculpting.

Thanks for posting this information, I’m curious about your video…
I hope that Pixologic will develop something that works in this direction.
Maybe ZBrush 4.1 ? Or maybe they even develop a ZPad ??!!
(I take copyright of this name in case they’re gonna use it…;):D)

Cheers

p.s.: Maybe you can PM me and send some details? Which app do you use to make it work on the iPad etc… Thanks!

Having only about an hour of playing with this so far, i can say I’m not seeing any lag, though I haven’t really put zb through the paces yet.

Have the current Mac zb running on a 2 year old macbook pro, maxed ram, abbot 80 gb left on the HD. New iPad with latest version of air display app.
Typical comcast home wifi network. (it make go, good)

So far so good, I have autonomy to work outside, on the mac side i adjust the gui to fit the iPad, then move it over. At that point I can get go anywhere within range of my wifi. Just started playing with it, not much more than how to make a workable gui on the pad side and playing with brushes on a sphere. Interfacing is clunky but I get used to it. I will load a real model soon and put the camera on it. Will post results.

As for pressure on an iPad, I’m sure it’s not the idea yet but it feels like the more surface of the finger applied, the more the deformation. I’m more a traditional illustrator and do a lot of finger smudging so this is my Ideal approach to zb sculpting. I’m addicted to sketchbook pro, so my habits are carried through. More user comment on this will be appreciated.

As far as the future of autonomy from the desk, the method of running the application off a real workstation is just fine. Divide and conquer user input(iPad) from possessing power(host workstation computer). For instance future applications could come with a mobile app for the interface that would cache and stream user’s remote input back to the local host machine. (Just sayin.)

Ultimate opinion, nice but can it be practical? Would be a great affordable solution for the end user.

More real results soon. Others who can, give it a try and see what you get. Peace.

One way to deal with some of the palettes is to make a custom menu and assign it as a pop up, you can put most of what you need in there.

Apparently these guys have some method of pressure sensitivity on the ipad:
http://tenonedesign.com/blog/pressure-sensitive-drawing-on-ipad/

Also have you tried Sculptris, does it perform any better?
Can’t wait to see a vid of this in action, even if it is slow. I remember only being able to sculpt on a 250k mesh back with zb1.5

BTW i’d love to see a full shot of that fairy girl drawing you have there, did you do that? it looks great!

Just checked the video from spaceboy’s link. Those guys even use a pen and and are able to produce different line weights. So apparently there is pressure sensitivity.
Elias, maybe you could try it with some kind of pen (don’t know which one they used) and post some results?

If one can use a pen and pressure sensitivity, in a similar way as with the wacom, then it should be possible to sculpt in a smooth and detailed way, which would really be coooooooool…
Man I start thinking about buying an iPad now :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t find Zbrush for iPad app, can you give me link where I can download?

Hi there is there any android version.