ZBrushCentral

The way I have been modelling

Here is a model with a Zscript that shows how I made it.

I find this technique a really good way to get started on a character.

Grassy

head-guy.zip

Hy grassynoel, you have a very nice and artistic way of sculping and modeling, when i saw your Hero Guy or later your New Doodle or your Head Nº2, i was wandering you make something like right now you are sending to the forum to learn from you and the texture or material you used in the model is extremely beutiful to me.
I will review your tutorial and be sure that i have a lot to learn from you¡¡¡
Thanks for your help and congratulations for your elegant and artistic work

Nice looking cartoony model! I will have to check out the script when I get home! :+1:

Just watched the script. Very interesting way you started the model! I may incorporate some of this into my own workflow. Thanks!

As soon as I’m off the net, I’m going to check this out. Always looking for ways to sharpen my modelling skills. thanks for sharing this.

Good concept, nicely done. Your demo will spawn lots of new work I bet! Gonna try it out soon to see what I get.

Thanks GN,

Sven

• edit -

Here is a quicky head (20 minutes) based on an alpha extrusion shown in the inset. My profile was drawn in Photoshop, then imported as alpha.
Two nice things about using a 3D silhouette blank as a starting point. First, The distribution of polys along the extruded edges provides for adaquate detail of facial features - nose, eyes, mouth, etc. Second, you start your model a lot closer to a head shape than when you begin with a Sphere3D tool!

Hint: to use X Symmetry I had to reorient the head by 90 degrees around the Y axis using Tool/Modify/Store.

Again, great concept GN!

That’s a cool idea to start off modeling! Nice job. :+1:

Never seen that method before, very cool. Thanks for sharing it :+1: Just wondering, does the placement of the eyes go all screwy during the end? I end up with one eye placed on the eyebrow and the other barely visible. I’m asking because Juandel’s mangroove script also goes all funny during the end, the water ends up vertical instead of horizontal :confused:

Btw, I made sure not to move the cursor while the scripts ran.

my humble sub-minimum ram already felt exhausted when it came to modelling the lips on the skinned alphaskin, so i cant verify TVeye’s troubles, but methinks thats one megacool, z-groundbreaking start - and the resulting sculpture speaks for itself and the techniques benefits… :+1:s squared, Grassy!

• juandel

Yes, I placed the eyes correctly during the recording of the script and they end up screwy on playback. Not sure as to why. I am a zbrush newbie so It was most probably something I did. I had eye balls going everywhere for a moment there. :slight_smile:

Grassy

Grassynoel i want to thank very much for your help in sharing with us your technique. The zscript work very well and is easy to model in that way. I made an example with your aproach
Thanks a lot

Hey Andreseloy! Welcome to the wacky world of painting a head from the make 3d tool. Glad to see you’ve been able to use the process. Let’s see what else we can make.

Grassy

It was such a pleasure to watch your script! Especially how you started, surprised me. So, one doesn’t always necessarily has to start of with a sphere! You work very gentle, with low pressure and small brush. At one point you masked of an area on the forehead. What was that for? I can’t play the script again, it takes to much time, sorry.
Thanks again.

Thanks,
I think I was concerned that the forehead was getting too lumpy so I masked it off and smoothed it out a bit.

Grassy www.3dluvr.com/glenn

here is an about 40 minutes “head” and a 20 minutes duck/goose/whatever + the alphas i started from :smiley:

optimized duck

• juandel

Hey, nice duck.

Grassy

grassynoel, thank you for sharing your technique of meodeling. i just watched your skript and really like the idea of skinning alphas.

Grassynoel i enjoy with your modeling technique¡¡¡ Thanks again for share your creativity¡¡
Here is another…fish¡¡

Grassynoel,here is an scene with your modeling technique, is extremely usefull and i’m looking that the more precise you make the first,let say 3D image, the more exact result you have and the least time consuming¡¡¡
Thanks again

Yeah, the initial sketch really sets the tone for the final thing.

Grassy