1. #1
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Age
    35
    Posts
    277

    Default Nimlot's Sketchbook

    Since the begging of my modeling experience i've wanted to recreate myself in 3d.... until now with less success. Now i think i'm close enough with it and after 3 weeks of modeling, texturing, tweaking and testing and more tweaking i'll call it done.

    Software used:
    3ds max 2010 - mental ray for rendering
    Zbrush
    Photoshop

    Texture mostly hand painted in zbrush.

    I hope u will like this.

    me_0.jpg
    me_1.jpg
    me_2.jpg

    Zbrush:
    zbrush.jpg

    Turntable:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB974_T7nBk
    or
    http://vimeo.com/12639842

    Timelapse:
    http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4088/me2l.gif
    Last edited by nimlot; 06-23-10 at 06:14 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Age
    35
    Posts
    277

    Default

    no feedback?

  3. #3

    Default

    Looking pretty good. I would add an occlussion map. This will help with the areas like nostrils ears, where the shirt meets the neck etc. Also you may try painting in just a little shadow for the hairline, nothing to dark. The eyes and irises look a tad big in the top render but I can't be sure, no reference image to compaur too.
    Overall looking very nice.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Age
    35
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbarton
    Looking pretty good. I would add an occlussion map. This will help with the areas like nostrils ears, where the shirt meets the neck etc. Also you may try painting in just a little shadow for the hairline, nothing to dark. The eyes and irises look a tad big in the top render but I can't be sure, no reference image to compaur too.
    Overall looking very nice.
    thanks for the feedback.
    I will try to use an ao map to see how it works.
    Here is one reference image.
    IMG_4105.jpg

  5. #5
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Columbia, S.C.
    Age
    42
    Posts
    304

    Default

    I'd say its pretty spot on. Nice work!
    -Ryan Harrison-

    My Website

    Rhino Retiarius

  6. #6
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Age
    35
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rynomyte
    I'd say its pretty spot on. Nice work!
    thanks

  7. #7

    Default

    Very good likness. Seeing the source photo brings all together.

    Good job!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    327

    Default

    why dont you add the reference image before.its very nice.my only critic will be to reduce the exposure and have some post effects.then done.welldone

  9. #9
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Age
    35
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mohamed raoof
    why dont you add the reference image before.its very nice.my only critic will be to reduce the exposure and have some post effects.then done.welldone
    thanks
    i'll try a new version today....maybe i'll get some more closer.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    338

    Default

    well the sculpt looks good, close to ref

    top of my observations,
    eyes/ebrows/mouth wrong, close tho

    face too long

    Its really close just needs those little touches to the whole shape, keep going



    EDIT
    The sculpt looks awesome something wrong in the render, but fix the eyes
    Last edited by Morph Division; 06-18-10 at 08:12 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Follow
    User Gallery
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    465

    Default

    the sculpting is really cool man! something weird with the eyes and the hair looks a lil fake though

    but thats always what happens when you get into the hyper realistic stuff... the eye catches the most lil problems since we are used to see that kind of stuff everyday of our lives!

    bottomline, i think it is an awesome piece!
    Marco "Splash" Plouffe - Digital Sculptor
    http://www.marcoplouffe.com

  12. #12

    Default

    My only criticism, and its minor... Is that the model seems to lack a little bit of the depth shown in the picture. maybe a tiny difference in the circumference of the upper portion of the head. but other than that you have the likeness very very close. This is a common issue i have noticed in 3D rendering based on photos. I think your eye dose a double take when comparing head shape to cranial circumference ratios. I think its very hard to get perfect. Well done. very impressive. You must work in the industry.

    I suppose if the camera adds 10 lbs, then maybe 3D modeling removes it
    Last edited by Gridlost; 06-18-10 at 01:11 PM.
    My Gallery site Shameless plug!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,564

    Default

    Good! Better hair than we usually see on these boards, what were your steps for creating the hair?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Age
    35
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Division
    well the sculpt looks good, close to ref

    top of my observations,
    eyes/ebrows/mouth wrong, close tho

    face too long

    Its really close just needs those little touches to the whole shape, keep going



    EDIT
    The sculpt looks awesome something wrong in the render, but fix the eyes
    the difference from proportions come from the different camera used and different lens....the first image is with 22.3mm....the biggest value for my real camera. the moving camera is at 12 mm and quite close so that the lens deformation is higher. U can easy see the difference. It is very hard to approximate someone's proportions using photos because every inch he is closer or if a photo is made with some zoom can easy change the final result.
    If anyone know the default camera values for the perspective in zbrush i would really want to try and use those for a render.
    Thanks for ur reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Splash
    the sculpting is really cool man! something weird with the eyes and the hair looks a lil fake though

    but thats always what happens when you get into the hyper realistic stuff... the eye catches the most lil problems since we are used to see that kind of stuff everyday of our lives!

    bottomline, i think it is an awesome piece!
    Thanks
    Yes the hair looks a little fake though mostly because the hair is rendered with scanline and the skin with mental ray. Therefore the hair shadows are not getting through the sub surface scattering process. That's why in some places it looks like just a layer on top of the rest of the image.
    The eyes were quite a challenge for me. I've worked a lot on them using some reference photo....and after finishing i realized that the values are wrong with the scene i was working on.....alone were looking good....compositing the scene....well.....let's just say that I wasn't I.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gridlost
    My only criticism, and its minor... Is that the model seems to lack a little bit of the depth shown in the picture. maybe a tiny difference in the circumference of the upper portion of the head. but other than that you have the likeness very very close. This is a common issue i have noticed in 3D rendering based on photos. I think your eye dose a double take when comparing head shape to cranial circumference ratios. I think its very hard to get perfect. Well done. very impressive. You must work in the industry.

    I suppose if the camera adds 10 lbs, then maybe 3D modeling removes it
    Thanks for ur reply. Yes...as i've said earlier it's hard to compensate the lens deformation and get the exact ratio for ur model....maybe a scan will help me

    Quote Originally Posted by EricShawn
    Good! Better hair than we usually see on these boards, what were your steps for creating the hair?
    The hair is made with the default hair&fur in 3ds max.....nothing fancy...just playing with the directional brush and 3-4 hair passes when rendered. Its not complex and not even very accurate.....i think i'll have to do better than this in the future. Oh yes...and it's rendered with scanline.

  15. #15

    Default

    What kind of brush or alpha you use for skin?
    However good work ^^

Page 1 of 19 123410 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •