Default Devinara - Character Model (base mesh nudity) update: base mesh included

Hey everyone, its been a while since I posted here. This is a character model sketch that grew from a pose test of a new base mesh. I like how its turning out so far, although most of the subtools require some serious retopo in order to improve detail.

So far everything's created entirely in zbrush, although the body mesh was thrown through topogun to clean up the orginal ZSphere skin. The eyes and body mesh are using a diffuse texture, but everything else is polypaint in the colored version.

Also uploading the base mesh in case anyone is curious. The final posed version has a number of small changes to the face and anatomy that need to be recreated in the base ( accidentally deleted my 'unposed' layer and lost the updated t-pose )

Uncolored Version:
    base_turnaround.jpg

Colored Version:
    color_turnaround.jpg

Close ups -- most of the subtools aren't detailed enough to withstand this scale
    base_close.jpg
    color_close.jpg

Base mesh:
    Basemesh.jpg

All comments are of course welcome! Thanks for looking.

-Oof
    base_thumb.jpg
    Last edited by oofnish; 06-04-10 at 09:00 AM.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Beautiful work! Love the pose and the eyes! The expression on her face is great.
    https://www.artstation.com/maximusin3d

"There is no tomorrow!"
    -Apollo Creed

lovely work...would love to play with the mesh if you do upload her
    Link to my web site

Seeking work

Arms are slightly too long. Except that, really nice

Arms are too long???...sheeesh..I wish I had this perfect mind set and body template..The thing that sets this model apart from the crowd are the little subtle nuances and variants. Lets all stop the whole "Legs a micron short" etc.
    Link to my web site

Seeking work

Clintus -- Thank you very much, glad you liked it!

Minsterart -- Thank you! I'm happy to upload the base if there's interest. I'll try to find a host for it, and I should probably strip it down a bit, the file's 15mb zipped with the embedded texture, poly paint, and lvl5 subdiv! (1 mil polys).

Joebount -- Thanks! I agree, the arms do feel a little long, particularly in the base mesh (About perhaps an eye's width in the forearm?). I think I went back and forth in the posed version with slightly shorter arms and could never decide which felt better. I'll take another look and see if a tweak in that direction will help it feel less awkward. (incidentally, I think her head is too small too)

Minister pt2 -- thanks for the defense . Definitely agree that proportion variation in models can make things more interesting. In fact, I had cobbled together a photo collection of about 15 different women for skin texturing, before giving up and just painting it by hand... each one had at least one wacky proportioned body part! In the end I guess it comes down to whether or not the result is pleasing or awkward, and whether or not all the deviations from "7.5 heads tall, one head waist, two heads hips" feel as if they were intentional or not.

- oof

I dunno if its just my personal preference when it comes to women or not but....she's top row in my book. The face is perfect and the body is very well put together..clothes included and the weapon is a nice touch.

Great job...

New Member Follow User Gallery

great work man.
    i really love the face. its expressive and beautiful

That is a Top Row sculpt, definitely imo. Just give us a great render now and you're on your way!

AVBN Thanks! I guess you and I have similar tastes - in lieu of a reference I think I usually gravitate to this look

Aridiel Thank you, I'm glad it appeals to you!

Eric Thanks for the compliment... Love to do a nice render, but sadly I don't have access to any professional rendering things ... unless you're in the gifting mood?

-Oof

great work so far!

love the pose and the face is pro the base mesh is really clean too.

cheers!

Member Follow User Gallery

love it, looks so much better with the texture too, please post more of your works.

cheers!

the colour version is really nice, almost doesnt need a skin shader, looks real already!

great sculpting, and I really like the concept!

d-pan -- Thanks for the kind words!
    RE3456 -- Thank you, I do like the colored version better too. I'll post more as I make them, have a new one in mind already
    rouncer -- The zbrush material is doing a lot of the work here, its mostly a flat color with a few detail strokes here and there. a Flat shaded version looks truly awful
    Nattawat_OBBI -- Thank you, glad you liked

Thought I'd go ahead and upload my base mesh for the body for people to look at/play with/viciously delete. Anyone is more than welcome to use it for anything they wish, and I'd love to see what you come up with.
    I spent a few minutes cleaning up the face, and shortening the arms slightly from the base mesh img I posted yesterday.
    I'm posting two versions, the hi res version is double the size (11mb) of the smaller one, and contains all five subdiv levels. On both, I deleted the texture maps to save space, retaining the polypaint. The UVs remain intact. a 4096x4096 texture gives about 1 to 1 pixel to pixol ratio at subdiv 5 for fairly large scales.
    Some quirks:
    -there's a layer at subdiv 4 that opens and closes the mouth (and the chin area has a separate polygroup), but you'll see she has no teeth yet.
    -The topology at the elbow area (and maybe many other areas is a bit off, I think.
    -The mesh is almost all quads, and there are no holes, but there are a few poles that can be annoying.
    -The eye sockets have poly painted irises that make the model seem to watch you as it rotates -- turn the eyes subtool on to reduce the creepiness.

Low res version (lvl4, 300k polys)

hires version (lvl 5, 1mil polys)

UPDATE: These are 7-zip compressed files, which means you'll need a a way to open them. 7zip is free to download from http://www.7-zip.org/, sorry for forgetting to mention it originally

Also, thought I'd post a progress picture of the mesh, from the initial zsphere to final in case anyone is interested:
    Basemesh_progress.jpg
    zspheres:
    zsfem_detail.jpg

-Oof
    Last edited by oofnish; 06-04-10 at 01:22 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast