ZBrushCentral

.: Month of June Challenge :.

Hellenistic Style

So welcome to the monthly challenge. First the ground rules:
1. Zbrush should be the primary sculpting tool, however you can use other tools to help as long as the majority of your work is done within Zbrush.
2. Document your process. I don’t expect daily screenshots but please try to make sure you are showing the creation process, this challenge is about sharing techniques after all.
3. A poll will be opened at the end of the month to determine who will select next month’s content. Please try to make sure that you only vote if you have participated in the challenge.
4. Do not see the subject matter of a challenge as a limitation, feel free to take your art where you would like to take it.
5. When you post a final image please make sure and identify your post with a [Final]
6. Have fun, and be courteous in critiques.

.:June challenge:.

Hellenistic Sculpture grew out of the post Alexander the Great Greece. With the radical realization of the individual sculptures became more realistic and natural. Often attempting to express more realistic and temporary conditions.

For this month create anything or anyone within the Hellenistic style. Keep in mind the motivation of the Hellenistic style but bring it about in your own way. Genre is up to you however try to keep in mind the concepts that define the Hellenistic period.

Awesome…game on :slight_smile:

Awesome ! I am so participating in this challenge ! :+1:

Sorry for the long absence. I have been mostly working on a base-mesh in Lightwave over lunch hours but today I got it exported into Zbrush and started working on the face of my sculpt. Let me know what you think. Trying to emulate the Athena look right now. Not quite ready to show anything but closeups because the rest of the pose and stuff looks like a mess.
AthenaOG.jpg

Lookin nice, i’ll post some screenshots of my work later today !

Cheers

So we have to make some sort of a statue from that period or even a hero like from 300 the movie?

:rolleyes:

It can be any subject matter/genre. Just sculpted within the helenistic style. If you wanted to sculpt Mickey Mouse as long as its within the helenistic style. For reference let me point you towards Winged Victory or Laocoon

ok confused again. If I did lets say Mickey Mouse like you said in that style, wouldn’t it be mickey mouse but like a statue? I am not sure if I’m making my self clear… So if do mickey but with ancient style cloth and I dont know what else, then it’s ok? or simply mickey from marble?

sorry for the stupid questions just wanted to clarify… :confused:

First off not a stupid question. It’s an aesthetic thing, we are trying to emulate the aesthetics of Hellenistic era sculpture. The content can be anything and everything. Commonly the style is thought of as an extremely expressive and atmospheric style. Not necessarily seeking precision sculpting but the character of what your are sculpting. Often drapery is used but I don’t think it would be essential if you don’t want to model drapery. Also it is not uncommon for the statue to contain multiple figures in dynamic or emotional poses. Twisting of the figure is also quite common. However, feel free to take or leave any of these. I am by no means an expert on the Hellenistic period and the Theme is to be used just as a spring board into your sculpt.

Finally got a lunch hour today to work on this sorry I haven’t had updates for awhile. Started some clothe work all super quick gestural kinda stuff. I’m probably going to redo it but wanted to start getting a feel for things. Let me know what you think. Also if there is in fact a Zbrush person who hasn’t run across Selwy 's awesome clothe fold brushes, I highly recommend them.

some-clothe-started.jpg

awesome game

I have actually been working on a self portrait that I guess could be described in as being in the Hellenistic Style, So why not tag along? haha here is my progress so far… the first image is before I startd adding some wrinkles and cheek definition, the second image is glossy because I wanted to show the details and the default shader wasnt doing that so well…

Here you go!

donprogress.jpg

Attachments

dontest2.jpg

Heres a bit more progress i have begun setting up the pose and the composition for te scene :stuck_out_tongue: I am using a television I modeled a while back specifically for this project. Modeled and textured and lit :smiley:

scenesetup.jpg