ZBrushCentral

Johnny Rico for 3D Print

Been working for a while on making Johnny Rico (Casper Van Dien) from Starship Troopers. This will be printed as a 1/6 scale maquette (around 18 inches tall).

Like my Paul Atredies model, a likeness was very important as it will need to stand without texturing. I have not finished with the face, but moved on from it to do the helmet (which will be a version on his head, and a version hanging from his waist so needed inside detail). Then build the boots and last night finished the trousers, which will be printed as a separate bit (heā€™ll split at the waist).

Still a long way to go, but I thought I would post it for some comments/crits etc.

Cheers

[attach=195742]Face.jpg[/attach]
[attach=195744]Helmit.jpg[/attach]
[attach=195745]Boots.jpg[/attach]
[attach=195746]Detail.jpg[/attach]
[attach=195747]BottomHalf.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Face.jpg

Boots.jpg

Detail.jpg

Looks nice to me:). :+1:

After I finish my current learning project I plan to do my first 3d print - my grandmother likes Erta so I thought I would do his ā€œDaydreamā€ sculpt for her and have it printed. Who do you use for your printing?

i would love to do a 3d print sculpt at some point. are there any good tutorials that describe the various things to keep in mind for prints? this is a great sculpt btw!

Hosch: Thanks. Iā€™m modeling this for someone else, and he is organising the printing so, dunno.

sarakawa: Cheers. I got everything ā€˜I thinkā€™ I know from the one of the tutorials in teh Zclassroom. It is specifically about modeling for 3D printing.

Occurred to me that I havenā€™t posted any progress on this for a while. Been enjoying learning ZB4 for the hard body stuff. Almost done now.
[attach=216207]Pouches2.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Pouches2.jpg

I love it. Canā€™t wait to see more. Starship Troopers has always been my favorite film (Not so much 2 and 3 though)

Just keeps getting better Gordon!
Looking forward to seeing how the print comes outā€¦
Hopefully you will up pics of it as well.

Modelling finished. Now to pose him.

[attach=223329]ZBC1.jpg[/attach]
[attach=223242]Rico.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Rico.jpg

ZBC1.jpg

Yep. No doubt in my mind thatā€™s Johnny Rico.

Cool sculpt! :+1:

Cheers

Super !!!, very, very cool

Super !!! very, very cool

canā€™t say much cos its looking great! maybe some creases for the mesh under the body armour? looking awesome either way!

canā€™t say much cos its looking great! maybe some creases for the mesh under the body armour? looking awesome either way!

Cheers. Yeh, have done nothing with the shirt yet as was waiting to do that once the pose was completed. Also, not sure yet what will need to be done for printing. Am discussing the ins and outs of how heā€™ll be printing it.

Cool updates! Loved the movie and the designs. Cant wait to see the final.

OK, testing the pose. Tried decimating too and rendering him in LW.

Still some sculpting to do following the pose. [attach=223652]Casper.jpg[/attach] [attach=223653]casper2.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Casper.jpg

casper2.jpg

Nice to see some other LW renders here :+1:
How many polys is your decimated model and are you using any other maps?
Youā€™ve nailed the likeness for sure.

Cheers.

It is around 3.5 million points no other maps. This is not really the way to get something into LW, itā€™s just that I wanted to see it rendered in LW. The object will just be turned into an STL from ZBrush and the guy wants as much of the detail as he can get as it will be around 18 inches tall.