ZBrushCentral

ZSphere Wicker Tutorial

Hola,
It’s been awhile… great to see all the new works here. I made this tutorial for the folks over at www.3dcommune.com and thought I would share it with you all. Perhaps some of you will find use for this.

All of this model is made up of ZSpheres with Adaptive skins. I created the basic pieces then multimarkered them together. Finally I used the Make Polymesh option to create the complete object. Use the above image to follow along with my tutorial.

(A.)

1. Drag a ZSphere onto the canvas and type “T”, then “Z”, then “X” on your keyboard. This will put the ZSphere into Transform/Edit/Draw mode and it will also set the X and Z symmetry constraints that are located in the Transform palette.
  2. Next, draw two child ZSpheres onto the parent ZSphere. Switch to Transform/Edit/Move and drag the two child ZSpheres out to form a long shaft.
  3. Next, switch back to Transform/Edit/Draw mode and draw several child ZSpheres up and down the length of the object. Make sure you keep them seperated evenly as these will become the ribs of the wicker.
  4. Next, draw two more child ZSpheres onto each of the ZSPheres we created in the last step. Make sure they are all about the same size.

(B.)

1. Hold down the “Shift” key and click/drag outside of the area of our model to rotate with 45 degree constrints. Position the object as if you were looking at it from the top. (look at the example above) Switch back to Transform/Edit/Move made and begin dragging out the child ZSpheres and positioning them perpindicular to the main shaft of our object. The further you drag them the wider our wicker model will be.
  2. Drag out all the child ZSpheres until the object resembles a doublesided comb.
  3. Next, switch back to Transform/Edit/Draw mode and begin adding more ZSpheres to each tooth of the comb-like object. (These spheres should be parrallel to the shaft.)Add about 7 ZSpheres to each tooth and try to keep the spaces betweeen them fairly equal. Once this is done your object should resemble what you see in the above illustration.

(C.)

1. Hold down “Shift” then click and drag outside of the object area. Use this technique to reposition the object so that the main shaft are is on the Z-axis.(towards and away from your perspective.) Once the object is positioined correctly simply grab the first two child ZSpheres (The ones we created that run parrallel with the shaft.) and move them upward a little.
  2. Next, grab the next 2 child ZSPheres. (Located on the next rib.) ansd drag therm down a little. Move on to the third rib and drag its child ZSpheres up… repeat this process until the area looks something like the above example.(Ex.)
  3. Skip one of the child ZSpheres and then do the opposite of what we did before. For example, if the first set of ZSpheres were moved upward then skip the second set and move the third set downward.
  4. when you are finished the mesh will look like this. At this point go ahead and set up the adaptive skin options found in the Tool/AdaptiveSkin subpalette.
    Here are the settings I used…
    Mesh Density=3
    Intersection Resolution=1
    Membrane Curvature=53
    Minimal Skin To Child button=OFF
    Minimal Skin To Parent=ON
    Now just press the Make Adaptive Skin Button to create the mesh.

(D.)

1. Make a tensioning strap for the wicker by repeating the tutorial steps A./1. and A./2. Be sure to make an adaptive skin mesh for this strap as well.
  2. Use the “Shift” key to position the wicker object mesh as shown. Place a Marker for it(green x).

(E.)
1.Now use the Gyro to position the straps perpindicular to the ribs of the Wicker object. Move the straps into the correct position(make sure to use the gyro to move the straps in and out on the Z-axis) and mark them. Be sure to set a marker for each strap(Red X’s).
Now that all the objects are markered and in position you drag the MultiMarker Tool onto the canvas. This will create a multimarkered object. Press the “T” key to enter Transform/Edit/Draw mode. Switch to Transform/Edit/Move mode and correct the positions of any of the straps that may be in the wrong position. Once everything looks great go ahead and click the Make Polymesh button found in the Tool/MultiMarker/Modifiers sub-palette.

Congrats, you now have a piece of wicker… use the deformation modifiers to deform it into all sorts of cool shapes and sizes.

Take care,
Michael

This is cool Mike…thanks!

Very precise models and detailed tut :cool:
You challenge the Zplace script by Cameyo :wink:
Pilou

Very nice!
Perfect for any close-ups of say a basket of fruit, hm, maybe I’ll attempt a still life picture. Or an evil high poly wicker-man! A splinter in the side of all that is good! I’ll have to try this and see how far I can mold it into a complex shape.
Thanks for the tut!

I think it could be great to maybe have someone take a look at this… hmmm but who? hmmm (Cameyo) :smiley:
I think its useful when creating cloths or somekind of wall…
Nice!

That’s a very clever script, PusGhetty. It looks like you’ve put a lot of work into it. The results are very realistic!

Mike,
My pleasure!

Pilou,
I don’t know about challenging Cameyo… Could make a very cool script though!

lovecrafty,
Thanks for the feedback,
I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with… An Evil Wicker Man… sounds too cool!

Aztec…soljA,
Thanks, someone could ask Cameyo if he’d be interested in creating something similar.

Matthew,
Thanks!

Thanks for the tutorial. Very good results.

happy to see you again… where you was??.. :slight_smile:

Rafael,
Glad you liked it!

Marcel,
Well, I lost my internet service for about two months so I decided it was a good time to take a vacation and do some projects around the house. I am back for good though!
Have a great one my friend,

Michael

anyway, I hate you!.. the last picture I did, rejected(?, not sure of the word… when a client put your picture in the trash, you see) by a client, was a mountain scene, with a picnic basket in the foreground… I’tried hard, but nothing works… why did you did’nt think earlier??? well, I’m going to keep your script very near, now… :wink:

Oh man,
That really sucks!
I can’t imagine anyone in their normal state of mind rejecting your work! You are way too good! Your client must have been brain dead or something!
;~)
I am glad you like the tut bro, even if it is late! LOL
Best Regards,
Michael

Hi PushG
By Challenge Cameyo I just wished to say that with Zplace you can very easily :rolleyes: make some wires basket work :slight_smile:
Like this old exemple or following :wink:

Pilou