Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Trolls. The foundation of the worlds armies.

‘Trolls have played a vital part in the armies of the world since the dawn of civilization. Their immense size and strength allowed them to accomplish tasks that traditional warriors could not. As beasts of burden, they could do the job of twenty men, quickly moving artillery and siege walls onto the battlefield; and as specialized infantry their raw physical power, coupled with their body’s unique ability to form a stone-like skin when in sunlight, made them a brutal and unstoppable force.

Transition into modern times has not seen their importance decline. Their utility is unwavering, even while sharing the field with firearms and tanks. Modern advances in technology have been as much a boon to them as anything else. Utilizing a new type of lantern, which generates artificial sunlight they can trigger their stone-skin, even in the dead of night. And, as always their might allows them to utilize weapons that could normally only be used in fixed positions while maintaining the agility of a foot soldier. They continue to prove their worth and no end to their length of service is predicted.’

A while back I posted the initial Zsketch for this guy in my Orc WIP, and mentioned that visually it probably wasn’t going to conform to everyone’s opinion of what a troll looks like. I am pretty satisfied with the way he turned out. This is definitely the most time I’ve ever spent on one piece, and the only piece I’ve ever made an environment for. I even used HD subdivisions for the body which is something I’ve just barely touched on before.

Hope you guys like it. I sure enjoyed making it.
    Comments and criticism are welcomed.

Troll_Thumbnail.jpg

Fin.jpg

Close.jpg

All.jpg
    Last edited by twf152; 04-27-10 at 07:58 PM.
    www.tristanflor.com

--Available For Hire--

great work. I really like all the little details that you added to the skin. Looks great. I haven't touched HD yet but its something I'm looking forward to try. Yea most people wont see this as a troll but that's the beauty of it. I like when someone take something with a somewhat defined look and alters it and gives it a fresh look. I look forward to seeing your piece textured

Hey guys, thanks to the one person who's comented so far.

Just thought I would add a couple pics of the troll without his armor to show off his body (which is what I spent the most time on) a little better.

This is the first model that I’ve ever actually sculpted anatomy for. Before, I would have been hesitant, thinking that it would be inappropriate or something. But after seeing lodenfactory's awesome monster, I didn’t feel so bad. You all know the one I’m talking about, the one where you see the thumbnail and click on it thinking, “Oh, hey, this looks like it’s going to be a cool design”. Then the page loads and you sit there for a second before your brain realizes exactly what it’s taking in, and you’re like, [gasp], “dear god”... It really is an awesome piece though.

I’ll probably be texturing him and adding some more close-ups of the details before the days out.

My troll… not lodenfactory’s guy.

Cheers!

Nude.jpg
    www.tristanflor.com

--Available For Hire--

Very nice!
    Sébastien Legrain A.K.A Sebcesoir

http://sebleg.free.fr

Yeahh!!! Thx pixologic, it's damn cool to have Zbrush caps!

Ha, ha! You all had thought you’d heard the last of me… Well I’m back! With textures!! Bum, bum, bum…

This ended up taking a lot longer to get done that I had initially predicted. Zbrush kept crashing on me, because of all the assets that had both high polygon counts, and required large texture resolutions(2048-4096), but I managed to get it done. Unfortunately I couldn’t get HQ renders with both the troll and the environment in the scene at the same time. So I ended up getting standard GD’s of the whole scene, and HQ’s of the separate character and environment.

I will be posting close-ups of just the body (unclothed) later on.

All textures were made in Zbrush (Photoshop used for compositing).

Hope you guys like it; and as always questions, comments, and criticism, are both welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers!

BestEnvi.jpg

BestBody.jpg

Standard.jpg
    www.tristanflor.com

--Available For Hire--

Interesting charcter - I like it - but the hands seem unfinished to me - not a good view of them so I could be mistaken. From the view I can see it seems the fingers are not believable and maybe the entire hand is too undersized to control such a large object - seems it would need more mass to the hands to wield that.
    ------------------
    Semper Fidelis!

John D Hosch

"Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
    - Antoine de St. Exupery

Here are a couple difarent views of both hands. I sized both of them up a tad, so let me know what you Think.

And you're right, I didn't spend a lot of time detailing the hands. I really only did the back of the hand. I'm working on getting better with hands in general. At the same time, the hands got a little warped during the transpose phase, and I haven't been able to get them looking "perfect". I'll post some shots of the base pose later on and get your oppinion of that as well.

Thanks for the crit.

HandThumb.jpg

Hands.jpg
    www.tristanflor.com

--Available For Hire--

I like - especially the "plate-like" bones under the skin on the back of the hand - never seen any design quite like that before. Also, never seen a wrist bone protrude like that before - very interesting design.
    ------------------
    Semper Fidelis!

John D Hosch

"Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
    - Antoine de St. Exupery

Wow, what a completely awesome sculpt, that is a Top Row design, that creature. Just needs a Top Row render and you're all set.

pretty cool. Some of the anatomy looks a little odd. Especially the front of his legs at the top, and the inner part(facing the body) of his forearm muscle which is twisting the wrong direction. maybe it's supposed to be alien anatomy lol

I think I see what you mean about the arm muscles. I think it just turned out looking a little funny after the twisting of the arm for the pose. Ill see if i can correct it a little bit. But I can't really see what you're talking about with the legs. I used human anatomy reference for it (excluding the torso and lower legs) but looking back at it now the picture I was using may not have been showing all the muscles on the leg.

this is what I used for ref. let me know if it still looks wrong. This isn't a human so it's not completely horrible if the anatomy is off a little for this piece, but I don't want to make the mistake further down the line on something that is human.

leg-muscles.jpeg
    www.tristanflor.com

--Available For Hire--

Usually the anatomy has to be useful to look real, serve a purpose. The "body of anything" developes what it needs, and gets rid of what it doesnt. But we can never be sure of an aliens anatomy. And it might be that this creature dont move the way we do, and that the muscles are fully functional. Like his huge neck, could be a massive amount of explosive muscles to move his head quickly, looking for bad guys.

I'm quite frightened of him, he looks great.
    "It's never too late to learn a new skill" - Lex Luthor

DeviantArt Gallery
    Gallery at 500px
    My music at Soundcloud

Hey guys, thanks for the input thus far. I tried to fix the anatomy issues that had been mentioned, without altering the skin details I had put in. Let me know if it looks better/ Worse.

Fixthumb.jpg

Fix.jpg

I also thought I'd post some shots of the pre-pose body (pre muscle fixes too), for comparrison. so let me know how it looks to.

Body.jpg

Legs.jpg

I'll try to put up some more impressive "final" renders if everyone can agree on wether or not everything (anatomy etc.) is all set.
    www.tristanflor.com

--Available For Hire--

I think the legs look nicer now. I misspoke about the forearm, they aren't twisting the wrong way but they're a little off. I'm not an expert either but I tried to paint something more accurate.

armssheet2.jpg

"Release the Kraken!"
    3D Character Artist
    www.chademond.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast