ZBrushCentral

Can't map this item with UV unwrap

Hello,
I’m trying to use UV Master on a item but it seems it does not like it and I don’t know why.

The original model was created with ZSpheres, I then exported into Maya for some editing and imported back as OBJ, I painted and sculpted it and created a GUV mapping but had some trouble with the displacement on some parts (in my rendering application), then UV Master was released so I thought I should try it rather than the GUV mapping to solve my displacement rendering issues.

Well, it seems I can’t map it with UV Master and I really don’t know why.

My steps:

• I load the sculpted and painted tool with no UVs.
  • work on clone
  • click unwrap (I tried both with and without symmetry)
  • click “new from uv map” to check the map and that’s the mess I get

Image 1: high res model painted and sculpted
Image 2: uv map generated on clone
Image 3: the low res model I’m trying to unwrap

Any idea?
Thanks!
Aery

Attachments

treehires.jpg

treemap.jpg

treelow.jpg

Did you copy the UVs over to the original mesh after working on the clone?

Can you share your model for testing it? (I can give my email by pm if you need)

No, I didn’t, I didn’t see any use about copying that UV to the original object.

Hi there,
I could but do you have any clue?
Because I’d like to understand/fix this myself :).

Aery

Well, since you said you were working on the clone. It makes sense to transfer the new UVs back to the original and then create the diffuse.

Hi Norman, the point is the UV is completely messed up, I can’t use it as it is.
I have to understand why it generates such awful UV, I can’t work with it.

You see, the image 2 shows the UV, it doesn’t look like a usable UV, does it? That’s what I need to fix.
UV Master seems to just dislike this object.

Aery

so you use maya too, excellent.

1. export the base lvl to maya and clean it up, by running the clean tool.

2. give it a planar projection in Z axis, then using edgeloop selections cut the uv edges and move the uv shells into the 0 to 1 space. No overlapping Uvs!

3. Import back to zbrush and use the unfold feature of uv master to flatten the shells with a better poly to uv ratio.

Usually I will delete all 3D layers and morphtargets then save out a new version of my tool before moving onto the uvs or map generation.

EDIT: if you want to do it entirely in ZB try using polygroups to break up the model (not subtools) and try running uv master on each piece