ZBrushCentral

Tuesday is meat night at the asylum!

Well I’ve come to the conclusion that I am the one that Gurgler was pointing a finger at
when when he named five(?)people who were contributing here at the ZForum and one of them was probably totally wonkers-I can’t
help it.The voices won’t stop-they tell me what to paint-I thought the elephant tranquilizer would make the voices go away
but it’s only made them louder and the things they tell me to paint are becoming
even more beezarre witness my latest creation
my gawd!Tuesday is meat night at the asylum
indeed!Is it possible to use ZBrush when you
are in a straight jacket.The worst part of all this is I’ve started to enjoy the elephant tranquilizers.Gibblerrag…
ussshmuhfeffle…agggghhhshoom…
…what …

religious velocity

rhonda help me
apparently I like that drop of water!

Hi Rhom,
Wonkers…
It may, or may not be you…lately it could be described as me.

Now if my memory serves me correctly…there was a group of American artists…around 1930 to early forties who constructed works in a similar vein to some of your pieces. Their work was mainly 3d yet framed as a normal painting (a construction)(an assemblage). I haven’t at present access to any reference material…so can’t remember for the life of me what they were called as a group…from memory one of them was called JOSEPH CORNELL…one of his works was titled Medici Slot Machine…1942 I think. They used a lot of machinery, clocks, newspaper, photographs, twigs, bones etc…some pieces were as if looking through a window, like your work they are fascinating pieces. I shall look into it and give you more names.
Your second piece here jogged my memory. You may know of these artists. Probably an offshoot of DADA.
Found a website…with his works on it… www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/cornell/

Great images Rhom! I love the way you put so many different things in and mix them all together. I think perhaps I like best the second one with arrow in the center. Anyway, great work. :slight_smile:

Just a quick one as I have to run. Rhom, your inspiration truly hasth no bounds. It is amazing how each of your pieces share a common bond but are uniquely different and wonderful. And steadily with each piece you are breaking new ground. Neato Bandito

I updated your gallery

Rhom’s Z-Place gallery

Don’t go too crazy on us! Zbrush can and will reduce you to a blubbering idiot if you don’t have a care

Thanx Muvlo(I do have a good time-that last
painting session was a couple hours short
of twenty-four straight)and to you also Gurgler-I do vaguely remember Cornell’s work
(on the conscious level-one,I think blue horizon struck a chord)but it would appear
that I must’ve seen it and it is roiling around my sub-conscious spilling out.Alot!
There is a strong resemblance.Thank you for the art history tour this morning that was inspiring and good to see-verification almost.It had never even dawned on me what
I was doing(just seemed like the natural way for me to express images)-it is collage-construction-but that I suppose is normal after thirty years of building houses.One question,I took your advice on saving and exporting images(I’m still using Corel Photo Paint for jpeg conversion-no filters though-
only hue sat/int/lightness adjustments)I
only save to jpeg one time and if necessary rework the image totally from scratch in PSD.In ZBrush I am now working at 2560x1920-
when I save to PSD and open in Corel the images are 72x96dpi and roughly 25"x15"even
up to 35"x20".I’ve fiddled with this but to
get under 200kb to post here I don’t seem to be able to get the size that southern and
nikko are getting.I suppose I should go back in and fiddle some more-any tips here would be appreciated.thankyou.
and digits-cool!You know you are the one that rescued my first few lame posts from the cyber void and put them out there for viewing-so this is all your fault-it’s great!

this is only a test for colors withoutusing corel color adjustment thankyou

Cool! Very nice works. :slight_smile: How did you make the reflection in the last one?

Hi Rhom,

I’ll supply you with some indepth info. on jpgs in about an hour or two.

I gotta say I really like the three images above…although my favourite is Religious Velocity.

I hope it was inspirational viewing Cornell’s work…I always find viewing an artists work that is similar to ones own tends to free ones own imagination.
Then confidence in ones own ability grows in leaps and bounds.

I would love to see a ‘still life’ of yours…subject perhaps…a uncleared clothed table, abandoned after a meal. And, in your style…but utilizing the same amount of perspective/non-perspective as in your third piece.

Jpgs…as usual I can’t find all my info…amongst the (an I ain’t kidding) 40,000 pages of lose info scattered in random piles around this room.

However, I never import psd files into corel, I prefer importing windows bitmap…To my eye I don’t think corel does a good job of reading psd.
I have corel 9. Then I check the pixol size of my file…I prefer 500 to 600 pixols wide.
Dpi can go as low as 72…depending on amount of detail in picture. Normally I use ZBrush at 1000x1000… With most art programmes and I presume ZBrush is no exception, the use of layers can dramatically increase file size. As I have said only save once in Jpg format, saving the same file again in Jpg format will compress it again. Keep your bitmap…save changes (if any) to your bitmap…and keep the bitmap. Nomally I never compress jpgs any more than it’s default setting. However, with fireworks, the file can be reduced more in size by removing colours.
As you realise it pays to experiment, remembering that jpgs are a lossy format , and so will never be as defined as your original piece. The PNG format is far superior…but isn’t widely supported as yet.

Gurgler:Yes it was very inspirational.I
was going to say more than you know,but
pulled up short of that(got the feeling you do know)Do you know Donald Roller Wilson?
I have always liked his work.Never even gave
it a second thought as to why.He sets up the most bizarre still lifes one could imagine.
a monkey having coffee with a stuffed teddy bear in a very dark (?almost looks like a bar?)the table is covered with strange paraphenalia.The monkey has on a tiara and written on the wall behind them in ketchup(?)
"God is near"The painting sends shivers up my spine.Now,today,I’ve realized why.If I can find the link I’ll post it.In the forth image(the test)I did not use the Corel color adjustments and the colors are fine.I did something to my palette in Corel and I can’t
figure out how to get it back to normal.It occurred to me that using the Corel hue/sat/light sliders might be using up valuable kb’s and also screwing things up.
I may have been partially right.Your assistance is/has been invaluable.Many thanks
PS-Your suggestion for an image is right on the mark,a bullseye!

Damn, Rhom! Your images are consistently sweet! Nice choice of colors, well framed, nice lighting, the list goes on…

Hi Rhom
I feel compelled by these images to finally post a reply after lurking around these Z forums for such a long time. I like your images a lot especially “Rhonda” . There are too many coincidences here and I just had to say something. You mentioned Donald Roller Wilson to Gurgler. I used to own one of his paintings and regrettably had to sell it for the money. They are truly haunting and technically amazing. This months issue of Communication Arts features the work of Mark Ryden. His paintings use alot of meat and religious imagery. null
The idea of artistic inspiration is very important to me. I like reading Gurglers comments about seeing and creating. please dont stop commenting. I am a person who has a great amount of artistic abilities but no ideas to express. I am inspired by people who can express themselves so freely and also the day to day growth and evolution of this community and this amazing program.

Zoid: Thankyou for the kind words they mean alot to me.I had hesitated to even post “Rhonda” at first thinking it was possibly to bloody,but then-you know…
what the hell!I just visited D.R.Wilsons sight-hadn’t looked at his work in along time,he is in a class all by himself.To bad
you had to sell one of his works, that
must’ve hurt.About Gurgler:I think there is more there than at first meets the eye.He will be an asset to the forum.Honestly expressed opinions with the knowledge to back them up
are good.I do not know Mark Ryden but will be there shortly.I am familiar with Communication Arts as my brother is a
graphics designer.Finally about this program:It’s like being able to have your brain flow right out your fingers and onto the monitor,no cleaning of brushes,no spilled turpentine,no bleeding friskets,
no clogged airbrushes!Except for the occasional crash it is pure thought
to image.Bingo!