New Member User Gallery

Default 3d Jam #4: King Kong- Rm03

Hi All, first post in zbrush central to join this challenge.
    I'll go for King kong, nothing too crazy concerning arms props or anything like that (at least for now...). concerning the base I'll see if I can stick the gates design into it with a big "king kong" written in between.

Here is my first pass, hope you will like it
    Remy

King_kong_01.jpg
    Last edited by Rem03; 02-05-10 at 05:54 AM.

New Member User Gallery

Hey Remy,
    Nice start! Looks like you've nailed the basic shape - easily recognizable as Kong.Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

All the Best,

Wiggz

New Member User Gallery

Thanks Wiggz, I try to make it closer as possible of sculpt from Weta. There are my main references, they really did an amazing job !!

Here a quick test of the base, I don't know yet witch level of details I'm gonna end with (depending on what my laptop will allow me...).
    I'm not entirely sure about the base, will need to find a right balance of detail. It may look a bit too simple at the moment...

wip_kong_02.jpg
    Last edited by Rem03; 02-05-10 at 05:53 AM.

New Member User Gallery

Hi all,

Small update this week end, didn’t have much time. More will come this week.

Testing some effect with the fur and adding a bit of detail to the base

Any critic welcome.

Remy

kong_wip_3_3_4.jpg

kong_wip_3_front.jpg

kong_wip_3_close_up.jpg

Senior Member User Gallery

thats looking pretty sweet! how did you do the hard surface on the base? did you do hard surface modeling in maya and then bring them into zbrush to dirty them up?

New Member User Gallery

Hey Remy,

Think you need to define the inner mouth now - tongue and back teeth.
    I thought the front and lower incisors looked a little fragile but on a quick google search they may be correct.I'll try and do some screengrabs from Kong to double check and get back to you.

Wiggz

New Member User Gallery

@ sarakawa: thanks, I did the base mesh in max and them I quickly import it in zbrush. For me it goes usually quicker doing like that.

@ Wiggz: Cheers for the feedback, I added a bit of detail (teeth tongue etc.) still need to do a pass on that to finish it, but it’s a start.

I’ve been enjoying and adding couple of details, didn’t have much time for that so I just polished it a little bit everywhere. (eyes, ears etc)

Here is a little update; maybe I should separate the teeth completely in a separate subtool instead of having them in the mesh …

Remy

kong_wip_4.jpg

kong_wip_4_2.jpg

New Member User Gallery

Hi all,
    little update,some extra details in the face. And another base I don't really know for which one to go to at the moment... the other one looks a bit too busy
    And also some test playing around with the materials... hope you will like it.
    Remy

kong_1.jpg
    kong_2.jpg
    kong_3.jpg
    kong_5.jpg

Member User Gallery

Default where`is my banana

nice look, very expresive
    “Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will still be among the stars”

Life has no limitations, except the ones you make

New Member User Gallery

Hi all,

Thank you DanyBoy, actually I took as a main reference a sculpture from Weta.
    Here is some update with some fur work and couple of details polished... still a long way to go to get the fur right as I want it to be. but I should have couple of hours this week end for that.
    I always compare the model in this way with the reference when I work.
    Does any one know if we can setup a system "like a camera" which will allow me to sculpt and then go back to the "camera" to check the volumes. Because at the moment my placement for renders is quite approximate, so I don't have the same angle than my reference and probably not the same focal distortion too. If anyone as a solution for that... let me know, thanks

Here it goes, hope you will like it,
    Remy

kong_7.jpg
    kong_8.jpg

New Member User Gallery

Hey Remy,
    You're getting there.Nice progress.
    Just keep working on that fur and compare where it clumps on yours and the Weta model and you'll get it.Forehead fur looks a little too smoothed or combed.

All the best

Wiggz

New Member User Gallery

Hey Cheers Wiggz, yeah you're right I will work on that next... today I was mainly focused on the cheeks. I will definitely add more contrast there, getting it a bit more messy!
    Thank you

Looks very good.
    I favor the second stand (seems your leaning that way already)... not only less competitive, but taller tapered stand also accentuates his stature and mass.

Only observation -- 'tho this may be in part an illusion in the latest render -- looks like his head is becoming a bit 'globular' -- volume distinctions of brow, cheeks, nose etc. getting lost.

Sorry, can't help with the 'Camera' notion, but agree it would be nice. Probably is some way (maybe ZScript) to save and restore a view.

Best Wishes,
    Darrel

Member User Gallery

You can save a custom view in zapplink and return to it at any time. (maybe you know this already and it's not what you want)

Senior Member User Gallery

woah, very impressive sculpt man, you can really feel the aggression, love the scars as well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast