New Member User Gallery

Default Monday Night Challenge (Nov 30): Hard Surface Modelling

MNC_HS.jpg

MNC: Round03 Hard Edge Modelling: Vehicles

Hi folks,

Lets get the MNC ball rolling again. This week we're going to try out those fancy new hard edge brushes. Your mission is to sculpt a vehicle (Spaceship, Car, Boat, Plane) using the new hard edge brushes. Try to make it an original creation...no Ferrari's etc.

Since Mahlikus said it so well, I'll quote him directly:

• Challenge yourself. Use tools you never use (planar, clay, etc...).
    • Try to go the extra level when it comes to detail.
    • Above all, have fun!

Good Luck!"

Senior Member User Gallery

That is exactly the MNC I was looking to do tonight.
    Thank you Johnny.

hey great to see this exactly what i have been thinking about trying out to see what the newly released zbrush 3.5 r3 is capable of.. cant wait to see what every one does for this now i just need to figure out how to use these new brushes...lol..

good to see another challenge...
    hope i can contribute something worthwhile..
    Last edited by troy1617; 12-01-09 at 12:06 AM.

Thread is not getting much in the way of responses... I guess everyone is spending their time trying to get a handle on the new brushes and features. I had a chance to play around a bit yesterday with the polypaint to groups, group loops, and auto-group masking. Used the polish brushes. I must say, I really enjoyed playing with them. The auto mask feature is really great, and the polish brushes work very well and easily.

Now, I just need to come up with a design to work on. I'm not very mechanically minded, not a car or plane buff, and I don't find spaceships too fascinating. So this might be a bit tricky to get my mind focused on a project, but I'm going to try!! This was a great idea for a challenge because these new features need to be learned, and if I waited until I was inspired/needed to make a hard surface object, it might be months away. Well, I'm off to get my thinking cap. Spaceboy, don't make fun of this post!!! I'm actually in a good mood for a change.

I tried somethings earlier on but the grouploops gave me bogus results
    and i ragequit. Will maybe give it another shot tomorow.

I will be putting something in, even if it's a red sphere with one dent in it.
    Just got R3 running yesterday.

A regular contributor who said " I'm really ready for a hardsurface challenge based on vehicles, real not fantasy", should be making an appearance also.

Thanks for opening this thread Johnny.
    So finally i will start something too. Its alluring to build a spaceship with the new Features. I always avoided making spaceships but i guess i will give it a try now. Is it ok to post wip pics in this thread or only the "finished" result?
    My sculpting improvement thread
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=91352

@slosh, i'm sorry you feel i make fun of your posts, as you are someone i know quite well outside this board i thought you knew it was always in good fun. not being a vehicle buff could really work for you here. glad you are in a good mood!

@3.14 the part of what i wrote that you are ignoring is "real not fantasy" i have no interest in a "make whatever you want" challenge right now, its too simple, and as you yourself said a sphere with a dent in it even qualifies. I had wanted a HS challenge where we had to use reference and push our zbrush skills to replicate something that is not normally made in this program. I'm sure many people will come up with some amazingly original pieces and have much fun doing so and i look forward to those pieces. i also don't appreciate the little jabs aimed at me here and there because i questioned you once about using MR, get over it.

heres my 1st attempt not used any of the brushes yet this was all done with edge loops and deformations spaceship01.jpg

New Member User Gallery

Very cool Wolfie! I love the porthole look you get in the front, definitely something i'll have to try to reproduce. So what you have there you sketched out using Zsketch and then refined with edge loops? Looking forward to seeing more.

-JohNny

Yeh JohNny45 Its just a Zsketch refined with edge loops going to keep having a go at this. Zbrush rules

New Member User Gallery

MDGeist...feel free to post WIP shots. I'm sure everyone would like to see the progression of your sculpt...well I know I would. Good luck.

Spaceboy, I wish that one could get the tone of the written word, because you would have known that I wrote that in a completely light-hearted way. I know that you don't pick on me, and that your comments are always meant in a friendly way. We have spoken on several occasions over the years, and I think by now we should both know each others' personalities and inflections. No worries...

BUT... you and 3.14 seem to have some issues. I come across comments in many threads where there seems to be an obvious target from one to the other of you. It's like being in on a private joke/battle. For 3.14, I hope you can realize that spaceboy's words can sometimes be read as angry or critical, but they are not usually intended that way. Maybe you can let it go???

All was meant in fun......tonality and inflection are hard to express with only
    a hand full of smilies........

So here is what i've got so far. There are some points where i'm curious about my current workflow... the first is how to create the bests unified skin. Best thing would be a low dense mesh on lvl 0 but when i put the resolution down details like pipes always bake into the main shape. After i converted the mesh i polished a little and painted (Layer Brush with 100% rgb intensity) the Polygroups, but after converting there were still some errors in the painted groups. What is the best way to clean that out or even better to avoid it? Next i run a Grouploop but the pipes totally collapsed and i had to divide it up 1 time to about 280 000 Polys. Maybe im wrong or thats just the way it is. Would be nice if someone could tell how to to it best.
    Nice Spacecar wolfie
    Wip1.jpg
    My sculpting improvement thread
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=91352

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast