Senior Member Follow
    User Gallery
    in my eremit cave somewhere in the deep woods of krautland

@sternum... ya well thats were there is usually the button line of a shirt :P and those buttons are meeean! apart from it not being easy to hit such a tiny spot and not to use too much force if you use your knuckle, a normal boxing shot to the sternum is just as effective but wont rip it apart necessarily and create possible severe injuries you cant calculate anymore, i mean in a life death situation, go ahead use all you got lol but be aware of the consequences
    ya, palm strikes are really less likely to injure you, good stuff

@boxers
    comin along nicely

maybe, just maybe model em without the shorts, boots and gloves and create subtools for those, dunno, but id assume it could give you more freedom in the final composition

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

LOL JaySus..Buttons..not much of a deterrent....Just press your finger hard againt the bottom of your sternum,. the very bottom, right where your ribs come together in the center..press that little boney tab that's there,..and you will see what I mean..ouch..That full force straight shot knuckle blow to that spot should only be used as a last resort, when all else fails, and only in self defense..Better to run away if possible, rather than use it..
    In real life, I only have had to use what i've learned one time...in self defense of course...Was funny...instinct reaction and the training that I had kicked in before my mind had a chance to catch up to the full force straight ahead open palm shot to the.... top... of the guys sturnum..ceter of clavicles took place..worked like a charm..his center of gravity was overcome, and he went up in the air and back about ten feet, landing on his elbows..which gave me the opportunity to escape..which I took full advantage of..Fighting hurts, and i'm not into pain..

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...w-Works/page54

Anyway,.above is the link to the page in my sketchbook that shows what happened, ..Frame 799...That's me on the left..luckily..

About the subtools for the shoe's and gloves,...I prefer to sculpt the way I would in real life...just easier that way,..especally with the new DynaMesh mesh..
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 10-26-11 at 10:52 AM.

Senior Member Follow
    User Gallery

awww you made a wolverine, sooo cute those lil ferals XD
    i even think i used the very same reference pic to get the shape for one of my first rifles modelled for fallout 3 XD

oh btw forgive me, i mixed the sternum up with the solar plexus... but hey its not far away XD , and maybe im a wimp but i think buttons vs knuckles sucks
    nevertheless id say youre lucky that guy had a weak stance, would he have been a bit more leaned towards you your punch wouldnt have worked id say or at least not knocked him over... elbow from below the center of gravity however always will send em flying...in meters not feet ^_^ ...more room to run and laugh maniacly
    mmh guess i should make a mannequin render of that too so we can battle our mannequins :P, kinda like pokemon but more manly...

OCT. 27, 2011

JaySus....Yes, luck was on my side that day....I like the idea for the mannequins....I wish that they were around when I first discovered ZBRUSH.....In ZBRUSH 2, which is when I first started using it, it was like sculpting with chicken wire using a jack hammer..LOL....Much easier now..

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...w-Works/page20

In the link posted above...Frame289, are some Karate actions that I created using ZBRUSH 2..The first full figure sculpt that I attemped in ZBRUSH in fact...As you can see,..lots of tears all over the place, and the hands..what a nightmare ..didn't know what I was doing ..but was determined to do it anyway..LOL..Stretching the mesh and tearing it as I went along with the sculpting process...All out of proportion of course, but the action is there, which is what I was after...Now with the new DynaMesh mesh..that problem is a thing of the past..which is GREAT..in my book anyway..Sculpting is now once again fun for me as it is in real life, instead of the nightmare that it was when trying to do it digitally using the ZBRUSH 2 program...Have to really admire and be thankful to and for the programmers who created this new DynaMESH feature,.... They are GREAT, and totally have my RESPECT..

Senior Member Follow
    User Gallery

oh nice poses, tho i doubt those chubby greek gods would be able to fly around like that, but who knows :P

ya dynamesh is da bomb, totally love it, im coming from realtime engine use so kinda had an idea about topology and such but man was that "horrible" in 3.1 (well still better than doing it in max or maya) when i started with ZBrush, still dont like having to retopo for animations or somin but at least the sculpting is atm really just the creative part, just what youd do in real life with a piece of clay without having to worry about air bubbles...
    sadly never really bothered with anatomy all that much and have to learn all that now, wish i had learned it much earlier in my life, but i must say its alot easier to understand muscle flow and so on using ZBrush than drawings or a real life sculpting

and ya... agreed, hands suck to model or sculpt... so many tiny bones and nuances -.-, never understood whats so hard about ears, sure there is a lot fo stuff but you cant really make errors in proportions and the basic layout is simple compared to a hand... mmh... should prolly do some hand and foot studies lol

mannequins are sweet and probably useful if youre under time pressure and need to quickly model some people, my current projects however are not that time sensitive it seems so i rather sculpt my humans traditionally and learn about anatomy while i do so
    tried toying with em yesterday and if you turn em into a mesh its kinda not so cool what you end up with, you need to dynamesh it to get rid of the intersecting mannequin parts and then it becomes so super thin that the proportions are kinda gone yet... still need to find a useful workflow for em apart from visualizing scene ideas, but they aint a bother, im glad they are there

OCT. 28, 2011

JaySus...Drawing Dynamic Hands By Burne Hogarth is the best book out there on hands..If you really want to learn about hands, that's the book that will teach you everything there is to know about them...Great book, and teacher.....Dynamic Figure Drawing is also another one of his books that is great for the knowlage it contains on how to do the human figure in action with a sense of motion...Greatest book on the subject that I have ever seen anyway..
    You can get them on the internet,..just type his name in...you won't regret it..

WIP..Did alot of sculpting on these to boxers..beefed them up, giving them strenght and power..A Mohammad Ali / Joe Frazier type of fight.
    ZBRUSH..DynaMesh...LightCap

Senior Member Follow
    User Gallery

lol, i had those books for ages but sold em on a fleamarket, only ever got to the nose with em as a kid and then lost interest XD
    using those by Gottfried Bammes now which i think are just as awesome if not better, should also be available in english and just about any language i assume too in case you wanna take a look

Wasn't familar with his books..They look to be good though...might get one of his animal drawing books...didn't see any that were totally about hands though...I think that that book I mentioned above by Burne Hogarth is one of a kind, and a must have book for a complete understanding of the movements, gestures and functions concerning hands..rhythms, flow, interlaceing of forms, forshortening ect...Like I said great book..best on the market...and i'm pretty sure..one of a kind..
    I had him as a teacher years ago, when he taught night classes at the Otis Parsons Art Institute in L.A., So i'm a little byased probably...LOL...He was one of the best teachers that I ever had..Really knew his stuff, and totally amazed me and the whole class with his drawing skills and knowlage..and some great stories about life in general, and his philosophy of it...He had some great stories to tell..
    Tons of good books by great artist out there...He is just my favorite of the bunch, and is the one that I have learned the most from over the years concerning human anatomy and figure depiction and creation,..and also an anatomical drawing class that I took at the same time that I took his class in the same school taught by a woman named Rifka Hearsk..had to do with the bone structure and muscle attachment and function of both..Those two classes really complimented each other in a nice way.
    Anyway, didn't mean to ramble on,...your post just sparked some old and fond memories in me..
    As long as you are learning anatomy, it doesn't matter who you are learning it from I guess,..it just matters that you are learning it..

OCT. 29, 2011
    WIP.....Repositioned the armes on both boxers this morning, and then resculpted the shoulder joints and surounding muscles to get the muscle action and movement in place...Thinking of the Mohammad Ali / Joe Frazier title fight where Joe Frazier kept coming on and pushing forward like a frieght train, hence Smokin Joe Frazier..and Mohammad Ali kept pounding away at Joe Fraziers head while trying to keep him at bay...Both fighters took a beating in that one, if I recall correctly..But Mohammad Ali regained, and walked away with the championship title one more time..
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 10-29-11 at 10:18 AM.

OCT. 30, 2011
    WIP...Started working on the shorter Joe Frazier sneaking in a right uppercut to counter the right hook of Mohammad Ali...will work on their faces to get a likeness last.
    ZBRUSH 4R2..DynaMesh..LightCap

OCT. 31, 2011
    WIP. Just doing a little experimenting with the lights and materials on these boxers this morning..Need to figure out how, and the best way to make the four corner post and ropes for the ring next..The answer may be in one of those new classroom demo's..maybe the one with the bolts sticking out of the sphere at the end of it...A whole lot to learn yet, and deffenity a challenge for me..One day at a time, and lots of baby steps for this old dog that's trying to learn something new..
    ZBRUSH still Amazes me, and more so than ever with what is in this newest version..A totally pleasurable adventure every time I open the program up...Can't be beat..Thank You for the experience of that pleasure pixologic..
    Happy Halloween everyone...Remember to Remember and Honor your ancestors,..or they may come back to haunt you..

Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 10-31-11 at 09:21 AM.

NOV. 01, 2011
    WIP...Did alot of work on, and made alot of changes this morning on this boxing scene.

NOV. 01, 2011
    WIP. ...DynaMesh / LightCap experiment using the Mannequin Hand that comes with ZBRUSH in the mannequin section...Took all of a minute to put the gesture in the hand, ...then just took it into DynaMesh / LightCap to take it from there to wherever I want to take to..a full figure or whatever is desired....Basically the same system that I used for the boxer, but starting with the hand this time, instead of the pelvis and torso as I did with the boxers figure.Just trying to get a quick workflow as I explore some of these great new features in ZBRUSH R2.

Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 11-01-11 at 09:27 PM.

NOV. 02, 2011
    WIP. Just some quick sketching
    sculpting this morning ..just to see if this system of quick sketching/sculpting that i'm working on, is workable,...seems to be,.only took about 10 minutes to tie it all together with some muscle and tendon..used the curved surface brush for the hard edged shape from the elbow to the outside wrist, and the rest was done using just the clay buildup brush...Lovin these new brushes, and DynaMesh..
    ZBRUSH 4R2..DynaMesh...LightCap

Your work has always been consistently interesting, but there's a clear improvement technically, as well. Your latest sculpts especially show this. Great work!