Thanks guys, it's good to have such nice comments when you wake up! I'll be a good artist when I can come up with good stuff every time I start something!
reall like the batman, just abit on the thin side
nice cloths too, were they simed or sculpted?
@Infinite : I won't post wires because a decimated the mesh and save on top(stupid save on close reflex) so it would show anything nice. The base mesh is a modified version of a base sclupt(Meena I think) I bought on ir-models, it's a test to see if I can incorporate it in my pipeline to get things moving faster.(What's up with that big triangle on the thigh! )
@euge : About the Batman, it's part of the design, since I'm thinking that he's also Bruce Wayne, I didn't want him to look overly muscular when his a civilian. So I'm going for a dry muscular look, a guy that fast muscular but you can't tell under his suit. It's part of the way he hides his secret Identity. But since it's common for bats to be bulky I understant why it bothers.
For the cloth, it's cloth simed, becauce I could sim alllll day I just love it. It's like having a science lab to experiment in.
I can't seem to be able to upload pics on zbrushcentral for the moment, I'll try and post detail shots later today.
Thanks for mentioning where you bought the base mesh, I thought I recognized it. Always a kind thing to do to give out credit, originally sculpted by Selwy.Originally Posted by edrice
Keep up the good work.
@Infinite No problem, I wish people who people who buy my stuff do the same.
On the same subject the skin was made using ref from 3dsk, another great site.
I can't seem to be able to upload stuff on zbc, I get a blank window, so this will have to do.
Final render. From the scene, the tree was done in zbrush, the rest is max. The leafs were done using gwivy plugin, that I've wanting to try for ages. Great fun.
I really like this concept. My only critique is the breast "plates" ... how the heck are they staying in place? LoL. But seriously, the only suggestions I have would be the cloth around the neck does not look naturally falling and the runes would really add to the character if they had a subtle glow.
Are you using displacement in Max?
@EricShawn : Thanks mate!
@hosch : She uses double sided tape for the nipple cover, lol. They were part of the original concept art so I just put them there. As much as I'd like to say I will do the changes you suggest, but it took forever to render, and that's time I can't commit to unpaid work again. But I do agree with you, glowing runes would have looked cool. And the cloth on her head was modeled into place, so yeah you're right about it being odd.
About displacement, no I don't use it, it slows things down(and it was very long to render already). And I don't like to have to render to see the actual volume of the geometry. But things like the tree would have looked better with a displacement map, than a normal map.
I believe you could do the render the glow as a pass with the items around it as pure white to just catch the glow reflection and this could be composited using photoshop - still a great piece.
I am still trying to figure out a consistently reliable displacement workflow in max (Maya is very easy with the export to Maya options) so I can show my base mesh as an overlay in the reel I am working on for some of my professional and private projects - whenever I get them converted so I can use them - darn NDA's are making my portfolio look mighty thin ...
Keep up the great work!
If I do another pass at it I'll keep that in mind. You can look up wayne robson's vector displament map, I hear it's pretty fast. Beyond I don't think it's harder to use than in maya, but then again I don't have maya, I just used once at work. I'd rather have a level 3-4 or decimated mesh with normal+bump, than use displacement maps. But that's just me.
edrice - just FYI - after downloading and following the 3 easy installation steps for Wayne Robson's VDM it does not seem to be working yet for 3ds Max 2010 or 2011, at least the shader did not show for me - will do further testing once I get to that point in my project.
I have always used a workflow like you mentioned above 3-4 level plus normals/bump, but doggone it, I have tried to get the displacement to work reliably in Max for over 5 years on and off and I want to figure it out, lol. Just when I get it working on one model it is all screwy on others - even when I get the specific settings for offset and gain from Maya - /sigh.
I tried out the vdm shader, it only shows in fastskin. You can copy it from there ton any other, but it doesn't work like I'd hope.