ZBrushCentral

HELP! I can't get eyelashes! (Tutorial: eyelashes)

I am at my wits end. :confused: Can anybody give me some advice on doing eyelashes on a male character? I’m just not grasping the fine control of the fiber brush tool for some reason. I’ve wasted a LOT of time trying to do this when I could’ve been a LOT more productive doing something else. :mad: Thanks for any advice!

Well, I have not actualy tried this, but a few suggestions:
Idea 1. Using another tool. For example, snake hook the eyelashes. Or use the simple brush.
Idea 2. Start by setting the gravity of the fiberbrush to -100. Then set grooming to 100. This (might) give you a base for the eyelashes and then you could try adjusting some more settings. But for now I will sleep and perhaps come up with some better solution, providing you or someone else doesn’t beat me to it. :slight_smile:

I agree with Mulvo. Except paint a dark line around the eyeline first and then use the Snakehook brush. Also zoom in really close with the + (plus key)
:rolleyes:

:slight_smile: Hi Nikko…I’m sorry I can’t give you a positive response to your question. I’ve really not tried to creat realistic lashes yet, but I don’t believe it can be done with the Fiber Brush??? I’d say the best Tool would be the SnakeHook Brush & use color. I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow morning & see if I can come up with something that looks natural. Maybe someone will answer your question before then?? Have Z good evening… :cool: Mark.

Using the SnakeHook tool is one possible method (as already mentioned by Muvlo,upham and kruzr :slight_smile: )
The other method is to use the FiberBrush.
Below is an example of using the FiberBrush to create eyelashes…

In order to do that…

1. Use a very small size fiber brush.
  2. Control the length of the fiber by using the DRAW.DEPTH value. Set this value to 5 - 10 which will increase the length of each fiber
  3. In the TOOL:MODIFIERS use negative gravity when drawing the upper eyelash and positive gravity for the lower one.

Before drawing the eyelashes you need to do one of the following…

• Bake the image and use material zero (FlatColor) for the fiber.
    Or
  • Turn off ZADD when applying the fiber (this is the method that was used for the above images)

If you need more details, please let me know :slight_smile:
-Pixolator

Ahh, curses! (Slap-forehead) Why didn’t I think of that!
Good one Pixelator! I’ve been doing your fiber fun tutorial all evening and having a great time!
(I guess this is how DeLescot (spellling?) did the fur on his “Yeti” image a while back).

Would the LINE STROKE come in handy for making eyelashes?
upham

I’m sorry, Pixolator, but could you please share a few more details. My examples have looked so PATHETIC that I would be too embarrassed to show them here. I have worked with the depth, the density, the size, etc. I either get results way too bushy or ridiculous little specs if I reduce the size or depth too much. :confused: Also, your example is SO smooth. I am clueless as to how you achieved that. This is the actual size of the eyes in question. I’m working on a 1500x2000 size image. My present system won’t allow me to go much bigger without slowing down real bad.
Damn this is frustrating! :mad:

:eek: Wow Nikko, is that yours? Nice modeling. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: Hi Nikko…Just a quick post to let you know that I gave Pixolator’s “Eye Lash Tut” a try, & here’s what I came up with. I did everything as Pixolator explained, a few alterations in the different settings, but it seemed to work fine. Please don’t laugh at the model as I quickly through it together more for the lashes than the reality of the eye??? I was going to post the exact settings I used, but I received another friendly lock-up with ZBrush just as I was going to copy the settings. :frowning: If your still having problems let me know & I’ll go back & reproduce my settings & post them. Z’ya a little later… :cool: Mark.

CD, the modeling was mine, but the eyeball texture started out as one of Southern’s, then I did a bunch of stuff to it in Photoshop to make it different. Something went major wrong after a lot of work and I couldn’t undo it for some reason, so I ended up with:THIS!

But I finally got some eyelashes!

Hi all,

nearly missed this thread there is so much going on in here at the moment.

I thought I would join in and did this…

Nice to see some of my old eye maps still in use. When the 1.2 is released I will put up loads of new stuff for people to have a mess with.

S O U T H E R N

Excellent eye, Southern! I’d love to see the rest of that image, if there is a rest of it. Mighty fine sculpting and tweaking there. Exactly how much of that 3000x3000 image is that eye area?

nice Tip Pixolator i all most missed this one.
and you did one Fine job on that model eye lashes and eye Brows :+1: :+1: