ZBrushCentral

Tutorial: PolyMesh3D

:red_circle:NOTE ADDED: The process described below is now obsolete. A better method will be to use the MultiMarkers tools.

Hi :slight_smile:
This tutorial describes the method of combining several 3D objects into one PolyMesh3D object by using the IMPORT function. Each one of the objects will be assigned a different color as well as different material. In this tutorial we use a simple sphere and ring objects, but the same method would work with any 3D objects.

The object consists of one Sphere3D and three Ring3D objects. Before we can import objects into a PolyMesh3D tool, we need to have these objects created.

Creating a DXF Sphere: Select the Sphere3D tool and use the TOOL.INVENTORY.EXPORT function to export the object in DXF format. In order to save in DXF format, the TOOL.INVENTORY.DXF need to be pressed before exporting.

Creating a DXF Ring: Select the Ring3D tool and use the TOOL.INVENTORY.EXPORT function to export the object in DXF format. In order to save in DXF format, the TOOL.INVENTORY.DXF need to be pressed before exporting

[img]http://www.pixolator.com/images01/PolyMeshTutImage01.gif[/img]               

Step 01:The PolyMesh3D tool: Select the PolyMesh3D tool (Star shaped tool) and draw a star in the center of you canvas

[img]http://www.pixolator.com/images01/PolyMeshTutImage02.gif[/img]               

Step 02: Enter edit mode by pressing the TRANSFORM.EDIT_OBJECT button (or by pressing the ‘t’ key in your keyboard).

Step 03: We start by importing the first ring… Press the TOOL.INVENTORY.IMPORT and import the previously exported ring (Ring3D). You’ll notice that the ring has a faceted look (not smooth). In order for the ring to be rendered as a smooth object, we need to activate the sub-division renderer by increasing the smoothness value assigned to the tool. To so, we increase the TOOL.MODIFIERS.Smooth value to 1.

Step 04: Select Red color and the ‘Metal 01’ material. In order to apply both material and color to the object, we need to (while still in edit mode) to activate the MRGB mode. By default, only RGB edit mode is selected which would allow us to apply color without applying material information, but in this case, we are interested in applying both color and material, therefore we need to press the MRGB option. Now we can press the COLOR:FILL_OBJECT which will apply the currently selected color and material to the object.

Step 05: As we continue to import objects, we want to mask the current object completely in order to be able to manipulate the next object to be imported without modifying the existing object. To do so, we apply TOOL.MODIFIERS.SELECTION.MaskAll. Note: After MaskAll has been applied you’ll notice that the color of the object has been decreased in intensity, this is an indication that the object is currently masked.

Step 06: Before we can import the 2nd ring, we need to specify that we want the imported ring to be added to the existing ring instead of replacing it. To do so, we press the TOOL.INVENTORY.ADD button. Now we can import another ring object… Press the TOOL.INVENTORY.IMPORT and import the previously exported ring (Ring3D). You’ll notice that object now has some red areas and some silver areas. This is because both rings occupy the same position in 3D space. In the next step we will rotate the newly imported ring.

Step 07: Due to the fact that we have applied masking to the object before importing the 2nd ring, any deformation that we now apply to the object will only be applied to the newly-imported unmasked ring without impacting the masked ring. To rotate the ring, we apply TOOL.MODIFIERS.DEFORMATION.RotX=90 which will rotate the ring 90 degrees around the X-Axis.

Step 08: Select yellow/orange color and the ‘textured Metal’ material. Press COLOR:FILL_OBJECT to apply color and material to the ring. Note: The new color/material was only applied to the unmasked ring.

Step 09: Before importing the 3rd ring, we again need to mask the object by applying TOOL.MODIFIERS.SELECTION.MaskAll. We can now import the 3rd by
Pressing the TOOL.INVENTORY.IMPORT and import the previously exported ring (Ring3D). This ring will be rotated around the Y-Axis by applying TOOL.MODIFIERS.DEFORMATION.RotY=90.

Step 10: Select medium-gray color and the ‘BumpyMetal’ material. Press COLOR:FILL OBJECT to apply color and material to the ring.

Step 11: Prior to importing the sphere object, we again need to mask the object by applying TOOL.MODIFIERS.SELECTION.MaskAll. We can now import the sphere by Pressing the TOOL.INVENTORY.IMPORT and import the previously exported sphere (Sphere3D).

Step 12: By default, all 3D objects have the same (one unit) size, which is the reason that the imported sphere hides the rings. In order to be able to see the ring we need to reduce the size of the sphere. To do so, we apply TOOL.MODIFIERS.DEFORMATION.SizeXYZ =-10

[img]http://www.pixolator.com/images01/PolyMeshTutImage14.gif[/img]               

Step 13: Select orange color and the ‘JellyBean’ material. Press COLOR.FILL OBJECT to apply color and material to the sphere.

Step 14: Final step would be to unmask the object by pressing TOOL.MODIFIERS.SELECTION.Clear.

The new object can now be used as is, it can be edited, it be can saved for later use, or simply discarded :slight_smile:

Note: While importing multiple objects you may find that parts of the imported object may become invisible. If you encounter this, then simply activating the “Double” option in the TOOL:MODIFIERS submenu will make all polygons visible.

Till next time…
-Pixolator

What’s the significance of using DXF rather than OBJ for saving our objects, is one preferred over the other in certain instances?

Great tutorial. :slight_smile:
However, I was still having trouble when I added TXR>COL in the loop, but I think I found what I was doing wrong. Here are the steps that worked for me

1. Select MRGB, or RGB channel.
  2. Select desired texture.
  3. Tool: Modifiers: Texture: TXR>COL
  4. Select M channel only.
  5. Select desired material.
  6. Color: Fill Object
    That’s it. Use these steps instead of the regular color/material selection to use a texture for color on your desired material. :slight_smile:

:confused: 'Morning Pixolator…I hate to tell you this, but, I can’t seem to get any further than step #9 in your tut. The problem occurs when in step #9 I attempt to mask the second Ring - “it will not mask”. The first ring stays masked, no problem there, but when I apply mask all, nothing happens to the second ring? I then click clear mask & the mask on the first ring disappears, then I apply mask all & only the first ring masks? Maybe I’m doing something wrong, although I’m following your tut steps exactly. Up to that point, everything in the tut works fine. I’ll check back soon to read your reply. :smiley: Z’ya a little later… :cool: Mark.

I don’t know if this will work, but you may want to try doing a Clear and then a Mask All. See if the Clear even works at that point.

:smiley: Hi Pixolator…Please disregard my previous post! I kept playing with the tut & I found that when I used the Material / GradientMap, for the 2nd ring, after applying Mask to all it didn’t show on that material. I continued with the tut anyway & it worked fine. I don’t know why the Mask doesn’t show on that certain material (GradientMap) but I’ll keep playing with it. Thanks for the great tutorial, it made everything about the “PolyMesh3D” tool much clearer now. Have Z good afternoon… :cool: Mark.

Hi CDE…If you read the 3rd & 4th line of my previous post you’ll see that is exactly what I did try. But as you can read in this post everything worked out fine in the end. Thanks for your suggestion & concern anyway. Z’ya a little later…Mark.

Cool, glad to see you got it working. Nice application of the tutorial, I like it. :slight_smile:

Hey there Pixolator.

That was a good tutorial, learned several cool new things from it. I like that “polymesh?” feature, but is there any way to position or rotate an added imported object besides manually typing in xyz rotate/move/size values? It would be very valuable if it was possible to position an imported object like a normal object (qwert controls). Maybe the mask could deactivate the masked objects so that the newly imported object could be rotated freely with the normal qwert controls…

Thanks, Pixolator! What an awesome technique! I’m having a little problem, though. I’m trying to add quite a few pieces together and when I reach a certain point, I get this message…
…and then Zbrush shuts down, losing ALL the work I just accomplished. :mad: I’ve even tried rebooting to clear out the memory and starting again, with the same results, starting with the Ztool I made with the different objects, trying to add another piece, then CRASH! Is there a limit to the number of pieces that can be combined? Thanks again! :confused:

Hi :slight_smile:
About the ‘invisible’ masking…
When object has masking, ZBrush will render the masked polygons with the color intensity cut by half. This would be clearly visible with most materials, but some materials are capable of applying color and textures which will completely overwrite the base color of the objects (Materials such as ReflectedMap, will completely overwrite the base color of the object with the reflected image).
If you are using such materials and are still interested in seeing the masking, you may do one of the followings…

1. While modeling a 3D object, use the RENDER.FAST RENDERER mode instead of the default RENDER.PREVIEW RENDERER mode. This will allow you to clearly see the masked polygons as well as allowing for faster screen refresh (very effective mode for modeling sessions!). When done modeling, you may re-activate the RENDER.PREVIEW RENDERER.

2.Temporary turn off the Tool.Modifiers.Texture.Colorize option, which will allow the object to be rendered with the currently selected material instead of the material that is assigned to the object. When you are done with the masking phase, you can reactivate the Tool.Modifiers.Texture.Colorize option.

1. You can temporarily modify the Material property in such way that the base color of the object will not be completely overwritten. As an example: In the ReflectedMap material you can decrease the reflection amount (in MATERIAL.MODIFIERS.S1 shader) from 100% to 50% or 25% (or simply set it to 0) which will allow you to see the base color of the object and its masking. When you are done with the masking phase, you can set the reflection amount back to 100%

>>>In most cases, option 1 is the easiest and the most effective method to use due to the benefits of increased interaction speed.

About DXF and OBJ formats…
The difference between DXF and OBJ is that OBJ may contain more information (such as texturing UV coordinates) then DXF format but yet, DXF is supported by more applications (partially due to its simplicity).

About PolyMesh3D…
The capability to import a limited number of 3D objects into one PolyMesh3D tool has been added in order to allow for basic ‘grouping’ capability prior to the completion of a more advanced method of grouping (and group management) features in ZBrush. Several major enhancements are planned for the near future (mostly before version 1.5) that will allow for an effective way of grouping and managing grouped objects. The work on that has already began with the release of 1.13… In the following image, you can see that a Poser model, which was imported into ZBrush, has retained its group’s assignments (as well as other properties in order to allow ZBrushers to easily create textures and morph targets). As features are added, I will post further related information in here.

You can try this in version 1.13 by loading such model and activating the PREFERENCES.DOTS mode while the PREFERENCES.GRPC (group coloring mode) is on.

Meanwhile, if you encounter difficulties while importing large number of objects into a PolyMesh3D tool, try breaking the group into 2 or 3 separate PolyMesh3D tools (i.e. instead of importing 8 objects into one PolyMesh3D tool, try creating two PolyMesh3D tools, each with 4 objects).
-Pixolator

Thank you once again, Pixolator, for the explanation! This object was ALMOST completed within the polymesh tool. I had to snapshop it, place a marker, and add a few extra shapes to get it this far. I DID manage to get 4 rings and 3 spheres into the polymesh tool, saved as a new Ztool, before crashing.

WOW. Pixolator and CE, thank you for the wonderful tutorials. I am just now diving into 3D. I love this program! I can’t get away from my computer. Before I know it it’s midnight and past my bedtime. When I first got ZBrush, I had fun playing with it, but couldn’t make anything. Your tutorials have been so helpful in that regard. YOu guys are the best, :slight_smile: thanks again.

P.S. I’m still trying to figure out how you export the animated gifs Pixolator!

Well I give up…

Tried this tutorial ten times, on two different computers. One running win Me, the other win 98. I followed directions to the letter.

Eight times the programme crashed importing the second object I made. Invalid page fault win 98 tells me…winMe just crashed…no message.

So I reversed the order I was importing the objects…didn’t crash and got both objects combined (grouped)…but before the grouping I couldn’t scale, or move the second object into position to group where I wanted it to. Plus couldn’t resize original object which was way too big…bigger than its original exported size, before the event stated in the sentence above.
Although…now I think of it I didn’t use the small tool window to move x, y, etc.

Now I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve got any intelligence at all, or if I have a dud ZBrush programme. The shift key procedure to receive the grouping tool doesn’t work. My floating menu has to be swept with the cursor to see any tools in it. And, if I try it in win98 there is always a blank tool area for the blend tool in the floating menu, yet upon opening the tools (floating) all the 32 tools are there…let it default back down …still have an empty little tool area. I have reinstalled ZBrush on many occasion trying 2 different computers. ZBrush is constantly crashing on both machines, and frankly I’m tired of it all. The edit function…can take numerous key presses to work. The move, rotate, scale and …well on most occasions I never get to see the gyro whats’it. Comes as a suprise when it actually bursts into life.

Now I’ve tried different programme configurations in Zbrush to no real avail.
Unless I’ve missed the boat on understanding the document…I’m left floundering.

Both machine I’ve tried are pentiumIII with 128 meg of ram…running no programmes other than ZBrush.
There are no conflicts, or any other problems with either computer…yet use ZBrush and problems occur.
What is happening here?

Hi Gurgler,

The system crashes and the blanked out tool are caused by your system not using memory correctly. Here are some steps you can take to try to fix these errors.

1. Since an Invalid Page Fault is an error generated by the Virtual Memory Manager, I am curious how your Virtual Memory is set up. This is how you can check your Virtual Memory settings:

On your desktop, right-click on your computer and select ‘Properties’.
Select the ‘Performance’ tab.
Click on ‘Virtual Memory’.
How is your Virtual Memory set up?
Do you have Windows managing your virtual memory, or are you managing it yourself?

Also, what is the ‘Compact Mem’ slider set to in your ‘Preferences’ Palette within ZBrush?

1. Sometimes invalid page faults can be caused by having a heavily fragmented file system. Please use the following steps to run Scandisk and Disk Defragmenter. Please note that both of these program may take awhile to run, and it’s best to run them right after a reboot, with no other programs running. You may need to leave Scan Disk for a few hours, based on the size of your drive. Disk Defragmenter should be started when you don’t need your computer for a few hours, so running it overnight is a good idea.

Click ‘Start’, point to ‘Programs’, point to ‘Accessories’, point to’System Tools’, and then click ‘Scandisk’.
Select the drive that contains ZBrush.
Click ‘Thorough’ as the Type of Test option.
Click ‘Start’.
If errors are reported, be sure to let Scandisk fix the problems.

To use Disk Defragmenter, follow these steps:
Click 'Start’, point to ’Programs’, point to ‘Accessories’, point to ‘System Tools’, and then click ‘Disk Defragmenter’.
Select the drive that contains ZBrush, and then click ‘OK’.
In the Disk Defragmenter box, click ‘Start’.

1. Although you are running ZBrush with no other programs running, it’s possible that you have many programs that start when you start Windows and run in the background. This can use up huge chunks of your memory without you knowing it.

Open Windows Explorer by double-clicking on ‘My Computer’, on the desktop.
Double-click on drive ‘C’.
Go into the ‘Windows’ folder.
Then the ‘Start Menu’ folder.
Then ‘Programs’.
Then ‘Startup’.

What programs are listed in this folder?

If none of these steps seem to work, don’t fret. There are other problems that can cause these errors. It’s possible that you have your video hardware acceleration set too high, or even that some of your drivers may be out of date. If none of the above methods seems to help, I will assist you in exploring the other possibilities. On the positive side, fixing the problem that is causing ZBrush to crash may also make your other programs run faster.

As far as your difficulties getting the Magic Marker tool to work, don’t worry. This tool is not integrated into ZBrush ‘officially’ and when it is, it will work without needing to press the ‘shift’ key when ZBrush starts. It seems that people with Win98 and WinMe are unable to get this to run (myself included). This is possibly caused by Windows Explorer not allowing ZBrush to see the Shift key being pressed until ZBrush fully starts. I’ve had this problem before with other programs, so it’s probably some sort of Explorer bug.

When you are trying to bring up the ‘Gyro’, make sure that you are not in ‘Edit’ mode. For more information about the Gyro, download the Transform Palette Chapter of the ZBrush Online Reference Manual from Pixologic. This can be found on their download page, under ‘Download ZBrush Documentation…’.

Please contact me if you need assistance with anything.

-ZuZu :slight_smile:

I’ll slip in a quick question here that slightly related to the above responce (noone answered it before).
Is the Compact-memory slider a percentage slider or is it relitive to Ram mega-bytes? ie, I have 128 ram, is it a waste of time sliding the Com-memory slider any higher than 128?? (I notice it goes up to 1400)
Upham

Thanks ZuZu…

As for the windows tips…all been done…I had my first computer 13yrs ago so am familiar with all the windows and computer tips, and tricks.

One machine has 28 gig of unused disk, the other 3 gig. Ram ok on both machines.

I’ve used ZBrush in every setting…normally use the default…if I’m going to get tricky with Zbrush.

Both computers are Hewlett Packard. I am inclined to think that it has something to do with ‘some video sharing of ram’ with both computers.
Although…that blasted windows update programme, bloody thing is constantly asking to phone home on win Me, or win98 buzzing the cpu every couple of mins…is going to go!..could be causing problems.

I’ll do some more checking…

Thanks…

Hi Upham,

Here is some info about the Compact Mem slider, and how ZBrush uses Virtual memory:

Compact Mem slider

How ZBrush uses Virtual memory

-ZuZu :slight_smile:

Thanks ZU-ZU. That was really helpful.
Any chance you could answer THIS question in an old thread about polygon resolution??
Cheers.
Upham. :slight_smile:

question! i did the tutorial and came up with a problem. Everything worked except changing the material. When i change the material, the masked ring is also changed!? I am not able to have a polymesh object with multiple materials/colors.

is there a way to change the material/color of the the 2nd mesh without affecting the initial one that is masked?

cheers,

m

'Morning Mason & Welcome to ZBCentral . . . :slight_smile:

The Tutorial you are trying has become obsolete since the newest version 1.23b of ZBrush, so there’s no sense in trying it. :frowning:

Instead, try this Tutorial, ( http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001668 ). I think you’ll find it more intuitive & powerful, plus it fits the newest version of ZBrush. :wink:

One additional point to make: Once you’ve made the “MultiMarker” object, & you’ve drawn it on the screen, before converting it to a “PolyMesh” object, you can “Move / Scale / Rotate” each separate object that makes up the “MultiMarker” object, then when you get all the separate objects in place, you can convert it into a “PolyMesh” object. :wink:

I hope this helps you some & have a good one . . . :cool: Mark.