ZBrushCentral

Johnny Depp

Hi all… I just finished up on a portrait I wanted to do for a long while. A guy I greatly admire both as a person and for the choices he makes as an actor, John Christopher Depp II, better known as Johnny Depp.

Modeling: Maya / Zbrush
Texturing: Displacement, Bump, Diffuse and Specular maps painted in Zbrush.
Hair sim: Softimage XSI
Lighting: Softimage XSI (Area Lights + Final Gathering)
Rendering: Mental Ray.

I chose for a more open, satisfied expression instead of the more commonly seen frowning sincere look. I am very happy with the way it turned out. I hope you like this.

Earlier stages:
[
]

[

]

[]Jelmer_johnny_final.jpgZBCThumb1.jpg

1 Like

Great technique man! Congratulations, even though he isn’t spot on I’m lovin it. :+1:

awesome, it really looks like photo of Johnny. You’ve done great job. How you are creating bump map? from projected photographic textures?

Simply Perfect:)
Flawless capture of the dude itself

well done:+1:

Great model and render!

Awesome work! The presentation really does look like a black and white photo! I think it’s because you didn’t try to fully light everything (well, plus it’s a great model). Those heavy shadows suggest realism.

whoa, nice work:+1:
I want to see coloured version.

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:
very good !

best ever:grimacing:…mega sculpting dude…what details…:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

DDDAAAMMMM!!:grimacing:small_orange_diamond:grimacing:small_orange_diamond:grimacing:

Hey man, not surprised considering I’m a huge fan of your work (back at VFS I used to stand and admire it every day waiting for the elevator :D) this is great! Big Depp fan too, liked the choice in expression.
cheers!

5 stars. awesome job. :slight_smile:

Very nice job Jelmer :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Johnny Depp has offered me and my family tons of entertainment. I think this work has captured the essence of him. I’m very glad you’ve taken the time to make this creation. This deserves Top Row!
Gary :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Jeeze!! I am impressed Jelmer! One of my favorite actors and you have nailed him! Your best piece yet and Top Row again

Yup that’s Depp. Photorealistic, it is. Just one little thing. The lens or focal length of the lens is distorting his face a bit. it is looking just a little bloated. You could perhaps render his face with different camera lens settings. Once again, fantastic modeling, bumping and rendering.

excellent !

Hi Jelmer…this is AWESOME and it’s going to be Toprow!!! For certain… Very very good!

Recognized him immediately from the thumbnail on the front page. Great job!! :+1: