ZBrushCentral

Tutorial: ZBrush Props! part 1

Hi :),
While creating ZBrush images, I have created many simple objects that I have used as props. These objects have been created by simply using the DEFORMATION controls and without any further editing. There are literally hundreds of objects that can be created by following few simple steps. Below you’ll find 7 images that are the first attempt in mini ZBrush Props tutorials. (As time permitting, I will add many objects to this list.)
Please let me know whether you find this information useful, and what do you think should be changed and improved about this format.

Here is an image that shows that 7 steps that have been used to create the “Creature Tail”…

I have seen lots of new Zbrush users.
Just a reminder of these simple step tutorials…
Post your findings :wink:
jaime

Looks great, very inspiring.

Thelonious

I remember the first time I encountered this tutorial, Pixolator. It’s still my favorite, and did more than anything else to open my eyes to the power of ZBrush. Being able to completely reshape an object with just a few clicks of the mouse is probably the most powerful part of the whole program.

Here’s a quick tutorial that I just put together for how I did the acorns in Autumn Puddle. It applies the same masking/deformation techniques, plus applies color along the way.

Hope someone finds it useful!

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Begin with a Sphere3D. Set the HDivide and VDivide to 128. Set the X Rotation to 90, Y and Z to 0. Draw your object, enter Edit Mode, and in the Color Palette click Fill Object to officially color it white.<LI>With Edit-Move and a fairly large draw size, pull the bottom down. With a very small draw size, pull the bottom point down even farther.<LI>From the Alpha palette, select the one that looks like a white plane. Still in Edit-Move mode, hold down the control key and click-drag across the lower part of the acorn to mask this area. In your Tool-Deformations, Inflate 100 twice to create the cap. Divide twice to increase the cap’s polygon count. Invert your mask and fill with a nice acorn brown.<LI>Invert your mask again. You use the INV button in the Tool-Modifiers-Selection menu to do this, by the way. In the same menu, set your Sel to 5 and Skp to 3. Click Columns. Invert the mask again. Inflate -30 and fill with a dark greenish brown.<LI>Clear your mask and remask the cap. In Selection, click Rows. Invert. Inflate -30. Fill with the same color. Click Selection-Columns and ctrl-drag to also mask the bottom. Fill with a light greenish brown color.<LI>Clear the mask. Remask the bottom of the acorn. In the Deformation menu, Twist 20.<LI>Mask all but the very top of the acorn. Inflate Z only by 100 or so. Squeeze XY by negative values until it looks right. Clear your mask.[/list]

That’s it! Enjoy your acorn. It’s really amazing what the deformers can do when combined with some creative masking.

Great tutorial aurick.
In addition to conventional tutorials, ZScripts can also be posted. Another way to teach and inspire :wink:
Thanks,
jaime

Thanks. Unfortunately, I’m still not very proficient with ZScripts. So until then, I do it the old fashioned way. :stuck_out_tongue:

Pixolator,

I remember these from a while ago and grabbed all I could find then. Excellent for reference and the Zprops are great for helping out new users imo. :smiley:

I also remember these. The Tire one helped me make the tires for my HotRod image. Again, many thanks.

I found this one hidden away in my collection from days gone by.

i sure would Like to see that Z Cycle wheel on the props :+1:
i Don’t know if you remeber this thread http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=004148
what this does is put the props pic in the tutorail view window so the user doesn’t have to keep hiding the zbrush window to keep looking at the steps it makes it a lot EZ er.
your more then welcome to upload it to pixlogic and change any thing you want to your liking.
my website has a upload limit which it won’t let me do.
i remeber it used to frustrate me when i was making some thing and it would say like Z size 10 and i would forget because i was trying to remeber step one and two and whamo i had to hide the zbrush window and RE Look
it would happen alot