ZBrushCentral

Tutorial: ZCut & ZSub

Hi :slight_smile:
Here is a quick description of ZSub,ZCut…

Some tools will produce the same action for both ZSub and ZCut while other tools will produce different action for ZCut than for ZSub.

As a general rule :
ZSub will produce different action than ZCut only for tools that are fully 3D .(i.e. tools such as Spher3D, Cylinder3D, Cube3D,Ring3D, Cone3D…)

ZSub will produce the same action as ZCut for tools that are not fully 3D (2.5 D). (i.e. tools such as SimpleBrush, FiberBrush, bumpBrush … )

Here is an image that shows the difference of ZSub and ZCut for 3D objects.

ZCut is similar to Boolean operation, which allows you to use a 3D object in order to cut a hole into another 3D object. Simply put, when you wish to cut a hole, use ZCut.

If you wish to try this for yourself, than simply draw a Sphere3D in the center of your canvas, than on top of the sphere draw a Cylinder3D and reposition it to look like step two. After you have drawn the cylinder and have repositioned it, activate the TRANFORM MOVE (press w)mode and try the ZCut,ZSub, and ZAdd modes.

I hope you’ll find this helpful :slight_smile:
-Pixelator

Great optical illusion effect I been messing with it a bit kind of interesting.
thank :+1:

Shouldn’t the sub mode be called cut and the cut mode sub? Makes more sense.

If you imagine the red bar being lowered onto the sphere it would cut into it until it eventually cut it in half.

But in the picture of the ‘cut’ sphere it looks like the red bar has been sub tracted from the sphere.

main object is the sphere.
Zsub=indent a object lays on the surface
Zcut=cut threw a object it really dont cut threw the object its just a optical illusion

Thanks a lot Pixolator for your tutorial.
Finally you swept away my doubts about this
Z modes.

Thanks Pix. The information you provide is always very helpful.

I understand most of this tutorial but I am having a small problem. Once the whole has been cut into the sphere is it possible to “pick up” the sphere again. By this I mean EDIT it, etc…

When I draw the cylinder on the sphere I lose all control of the sphere object as it is turned into pixols. I need to be able to reselect the sphere and alter it as if i had just drawn it, except now it should have a whole trough it.

Cheers.

here for the fun
Pilou
Ps
More technic :slight_smile:
:large_orange_diamond: Use projection Master with 2 object 3D (Unified or polymeshed)
(so the sphere and cylinder as “Primitive 3D” must be transform before)
:large_orange_diamond: Draw the first
:large_orange_diamond: key “G” = Enter PM
:large_orange_diamond: Enable “Deformation”
:large_orange_diamond: Draw the second with Zsub or Zcut over the first
:large_orange_diamond: key “G” = Valid PM
You have your first object booleaned :wink:

Didn’t know that Digit’s is the guy who found out that holes are actually invisible apples!
:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:
Lemo

Hello Frenchy Pilou, I’ve made all what you said and more, but when I valid PM the hole closes, what I’m doing bad?

So
you can try another technic : Play this Script Zrobot

I didn’t understand how that one worked. :frowning:

Hi billrobertson42.

I can explain this to you as I had the same problem until I finally figured it out. Just before the “large dot” appears on the leg he hits the Projection Master button (U cant see it on the script). In projection master make sure u have the following selected…

1. When you hit the Projection Master button make sure you select(check) the following Projection master options. DEFORMATION and NORMALIZED

2.When in Projection master select the SINGLE LAYER BRUSH. Select Alpha BRUSH 48. Select the DragRect Stroke. (Feel free to change these options after youget the hang of it)

1. Also make sure you are in EDIT > Draw and Zadd is on.

2. Now drag a circle on the leg(or whatever 3D object you have on the screen). You will see the dot appear and you are then able to “move” “scale” the dot into position. Once you are happy with it just hit Projection Master again and you will see that the dot has made a large BUMP on your 3D object. EASY! vbmenu_register(“postmenu_242326”, true);
    One last thing…you have to make sure you turn your 3D object into a Poly Mesh. You can find the “Make Poly Mesh” button in your TOOL menu.

Hope this helps you like it helped me.

Cheers.

p.s. Any questions feel free to post or send me a message. Im by no means a expert at Z-Brush and im still learning but I will help if I can.

Hello i am also new to zsphere and i also have same problem i cant figure out how to COMBINE various primitives into one single mesh

hello my name is noman ahmed rahmani. ur work fasinated me so much basically i m fine artist major in sculpthure.iu mvery thanx full to u if u send me some toturial of z brush.hope u except my request.my e mail address is
metheArtist@hotmail.com

The first picture is no longer available :o Any chance to reupload it?

why are 9 year old threads not locked? seems like a different 1.55b thread gets bumped every single day… feel like i’m in a frickin time machine :rolleyes:

hello fellow pots members.
seems like i have a problem whit my zsub and z add options. the zsub never work. allways add the insert mesh. and when i prush the sub butom in the dynames menu. sometimes substact & sometimes add.
someone know if there is a parameter wish could bein afectin this behavior.
sorry for my english.

I do not like the very first image.