ZBrushCentral

Minty's Sketchbook

Hello all,

I will soon be off to Uni (as a mature student, or old geezer which ever way you want to look at it lol) to begin a degree course in animation. With this in mind I thought I would start a little sketchbook containing bits and pieces of my ZBrush work.

I’m kicking it off with a sculpt that I will (hopefully) be bringing into Maya for final rendering. I’m doing this as an excercise in creating and using normal/displacement maps in Maya.

Cheers for dropping by, hopefully I’ll be able to add more to this thread as my skills get better.

Have a great day :smiley:

Hey man, nice sculpt. My biggest issue is with the ears however. I would study anatomy more and change them, because I feel it brings the overall piece down a bit.

Cheers!

Cheers mate. Yep, I hate ears (and sculpting hands for that matter lol). I agree they need a lot more work.

Wonderful!
Trying to drink it all in and learn something from it! lol

Cheers Facenna for the comment. I just checked out your site and your grasp on anatomy is amazing. Top stuff!:+1:

Many thanx, Minty!
I think the 2D knowledge is holding me back when trying to apply it to 3D so far though! Frustrating to say the least… but I’m probably just trying to run before I can walk! :smiley:
Would be MORE than happy to get even close to this level one day!
Keep up the great work!

You’re too kind. It’s getting the time to practice more than anything. I’m leaving the real world for the next 3 years and becoming an animation student, so hopefully I’ll get plenty of time to practice lol. Cheers again.

Well, that’s going to be really exciting! Good luck with that!! :cool:

A quick update to the model above polypainted and rendered in ZBrush.

colour1.jpg

Hey Minty! Nice to see your work here. I used to frequent Renderosity as HorseFlesh. Now using Modo and ZB, and forsaken Rendo.
Anyway, I think your sculpt is coming along great! Looks like you’ve been using Zb for awhile! Nice job with the textures. Well, Keep it up, and best wishes at the university!
Chris-

Hey Chris,

I’m texturing this chap using polypainting in zbrush and tidying it up with photoshop.

COol work man ! Nice sculpt … just maybe your normal bumps are a bit too sharp, or a bit offset with the color…

I doodled this sculpt this morning. I wanted to create a big brute type of character. Very quick sculpt without reference (basically I’m trying to say that I know it’s not anatomically correct lol) :smiley:

brute.jpg

Another practice sculpt.

A WIP render of a new character I have started. I made the base mesh in Maya and now sculpting the details in ZBrush. Still lots and lots to do on this sculpt.

I have only really concentrated on the head and the torso so far. The arms are pretty much untouched as of yet.

bodyWIP.jpg

So far so awesome! So much life in this last sculpt. I admire this piece a lot so far. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it develop. :+1:

Your new character is looking great! :+1:

I’ve not had a lot of free time to play with ZBrush recently. I only managed to upgrade to ZB 4 about a week ago and I’m blown away by the new little bits and pieces in it. Here’s a couple of w.i.p. shots of a new model I started work on a couple of days ago. I made the base mesh in Maya and detailed what you see so far in ZB.

Still lots to do (I especially want to concentrate on the ears, neck and eye areas. Also I’m terrible when it comes to adding fine wrinkles and it’s something I really would like to work into this model).

3heads.jpg

Cheers :smiley:

Attachments

colHead1.jpg

Looking like Clint Eastwood to me. Good job on the expression.

that is lookin great! cant wait to see more…