ZBrushCentral

Question on materials

In a thread where Pix explained the differences between textures and materials, on some of the example spheres (like the orangy-yellow one in the middle,) you can see interesting loopy lines that overlap several times.
So, could anyone (Pix?) explain to this simple-minded soul how one achieves an effect like this?
Thanks. :cool:

I assume that you’re talking about something like this?

It started out as Basic Material. The settings that I used are all shown here. There are two main keys to this type of material:

First, you use a negative noise setting.
Second, you create lots of sharp spikes in the noise graph to bring out the loops.

Changing the amount of noise, the number, height and distance between the graph spikes, and the noise radius all affect your outcome. Play around with it to get something you like.

That’s all there is to it!

Hi Muvlo :slight_smile:
These noise patterns are done by applying negative values to the material noise modifier and adjusting noise curve and radius.
Here are three examples that you can import and experiment with…

The above are basic spheres drawn with orange color (RGB=255,128,0)

Click here to download three noise materials

Hope this helps :slight_smile:
-Pixolator

[Edit]
I see that Aurick has already given the correct answer :slight_smile: Thanks Aurick :slight_smile:

Heh heh. I’ve tag-teamed with Kruzr on more than one fun occasion. This is a first with you, though! :smiley:

Great posts here-information plus.

Ahhhh, that makes sense! :slight_smile: Thanks both of you for helping me… I’ve been wondering about the negative noise for a long time, it never seemed to do anything because I didn’t change that in combingation with the ZGraph. :o :smiley: