ZBrushCentral

Questions and Troubleshooting for PaintStop plugin

Use this thread to post questions or issues concerning PaintStop plugin for Windows and MacOSX .

Important: You MUST specify which version of ZBrush you’re running. Posts that do not include that info will not be answered.

my pc setup:
Windows7 64bit
intuous 3
nvidia 8800gts

problem:

I would like the eraser on my wacom intuous 3 to work as the eraser in paintstop - perhaps in a later update. It works fine in Zbrush, so I hope it won’t be to hard to add this to the plugin - or something is broken here :frowning:

general questions:
The pencil and Pen brushes are supposed to be aliased and jaggy at 100% zoom? Other brushes are fine so I am guessing this is by design and doesn’t worry me.

Is it possible to create a shortcut with a command to launch paintstop?

hyper_z,

1. It’s not possible to have the Wacom eraser work as the eraser in PaintStop.

2. Some brushes like the Pen & Ink brushes are not anti-aliased at actual size.

3. You can add a hotkey to the PaintStop button by Ctrl+clicking on the button and choosing a hotkey. Store the new hotkey before leaving ZBrush.

thanks for the answers, just one follow up. Is it possible to bing a hotkey for the different brushes so I may switch from eraser to pencil for example with a key press?

Yes, you can assign hotkeys to any of the buttons. PaintStop has its own hotkeys file so you need to save any new hotkeys to that file. All you need to do is this:

1. Launch PaintStop.
  2. Press the ‘Menus’ button at the top of the interface so that the ZBrush menus show.
  3. Ctrl+click on the brush button and then choose a hotkey for it.
  4. Repeat (3) for any other buttons you want to have hotkeys for.
  5. Press Preferences>Hotkeys>Save and being sure to overwrite the ZStartup/ZPlugs/PaintStopData31/Hotkeys.txt file. (On MacOSX this would be PaintStopData32/Hotkeys.txt.)

I am having trouble on the install.

I DL the file, and when I try to extract the file it gives me an error message, and it does not copy the data over. I have tried to drag it over to the folder manually and when I fire up Zbrush it just hangs on the logoscreen.

I have read about others having this problem? I have installed a bunch of plugins so I have the process down. It appears that the file is corrupt or something.??

What version of ZBrush are you using?

thats awesome thanks!

When trying to copy the files over it says “the system cannot find the file specified”

Also, when I try to drag over the files it says that “this page has an unspecifed potential security flaw”

The file “paintstop_PC_31” in the Zip file has 0KB as it’s size.?

sounds your download wasn’t successful. try downloading it again. 0KB size is definitely the problem!

PC Intel Centrino 2 running Vista
ZBrush 3.1
Nvidia GeForce 9800m GTS
4GB Ram

I just started a thread with the same problem, mods can delete if you want me to post here for it. Didnt realize it was the plugin that made the problem. Same thing…plugin in the Startup folder, hangs up Z on startup. Take it out…it works. The plugin size shows something like 37KB on my download. Any ideas? why it wont work?

The plugin download should be about 7.5MB. Unzipped there should be a folder (contents many files/folders about 11 MB total), a PDF (the documentation) and the actual plugin ZSC file (198 KB).

PC Intel Centrino 2 running Vista
ZBrush 3.1
Nvidia GeForce 9800m GTS
4GB Ram

still no go, I even downloaded the ZIP on my MAC and took it to the PC on a zip drive. Every time i download its the same and YES the size of the actual plugin is 199KB in the folder, i checked. Still hangs up at startup and i have to restart to get it out of the way. Won’t force quit cause it doesnt show that there is a Zbrush program starting up but i can still see it in the background, the ZBrush window. Anyone else get it solved that had the same issue?

I think you’ll get ZBrush to load properly by pressing Esc on the keyboard when it hangs (though the plugin won’t be available).

I think this is an installation issue. If you can post a screen shot of your ZStartup/ZPlugs folder that would be a great help for diagnosing the problem.

i jumped the gun, i apologize for being one of those guys that installs without reading instructions…i didnt copy the data folder over. NOW it works…its awesome. Thanks…(i feel stupid)

AngellDude,

No problem, I’m glad you got it working.

I hope you enjoy the plugin. :slight_smile:

ZB 3.1
I can’t change the image resolution. Width and Height are locked to 960x720. I am able to change resolution. Whenever I hover over that field it highlights white, the other 2 fields do nothing.

ZBrush 3.12, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7.

“Click Arrow For Popup Options” previews don’t work for any tool. Tools work but it’s hard to tell exactly what I’m drawing with. Placeholder graphic of a question mark inside of a yellow triangle appears instead. Everything else seems to be working fine. Canvas preview thumbnails have the same problem. All the icons exist inside the BrushIcons folder but for some reason the .jpg-based icons (the brush and canvas previews) are not loading.

Under Image Resolution I can’t change the document size from 960x720. Resolution change works fine though.

This is a pretty cool plugin so far. Will it be tweaked between now and 3.5 or 4.0? It’s off to a good start.

I’m on 3.12 Mac OSX Leopard, and having similar problems to squidguy.

The canvas textures won’t load, and the tools work but the drop-out menu just shows question marks.

1. Image Resolution:

To change the size of the image resolution and document you need to create a new document from File>New. The Edit>Image Resolution only allows you to change the dpi. This is because various PaintStop routines rely on the canvas size being set before you start painting.

Note that dpi is not specified in exported images. Pixel dimensions will be correct though. PaintStop allows you to create a canvas of the right pixel dimensions for the dpi you specify (as well as view the canvas at print size when this is possible). This means that if you create a canvas that is 24 inches x 48 inches and 150 dpi it will be 3600 x 7200 pixels.

To save dpi info with the file all you need to do is open the file in Photoshop and alter the resolution in the Image Size option. Make sure that ‘Resample Image’ is NOT checked as the pixel dimensions should remain unchanged.

1. If you are getting the ‘missing image’ triangle then you need to check your installation. Make sure the unzipping and copying maintains the folder structure. There are many files and subfolders inside the PaintStopData31 folder (PaintStopData32 on Mac). See the attached image.

Attachments

File_structure.jpg