Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default SketchBook: TheGreenMachine *contains nudity*

First of all let me introduce myself:
    My name is Luke Groen, i'm a student @ IGAD in holland (Internation Game Architecture and design, if your interested in the fancy name)

I was kinda shy to put my stuff up here between all the amazing art that gets posted here. I often spend nights just scrolling though the countless sketchbooks and now finally got together the courage to start my own.

I have known Zbrush for quite a while, however I only got seriously in to it a few months back. I will never stop.....

anyway lets get to my art.

This is my most Recent work (this week)

I found some challenging ref so I tried making this old man eating his own face
    made from Zsphere basemesh, about 5 hours in total spent, still Wip
    EatingFace.jpg

Quick speed facestudy, about 2 hours spent, same base as the old man
    BigJawFaceStudy.jpg

I found I had a lot of trouble doing hands so I took a stab at it, basemesh (very simple) made in Maya, quite some time went into it, and still more has to go in imo.
    handstudy.jpg

This one started out more as a test, I saw some of Cedric Seaut's work and got quite inspired. It's becoming like an ongoing testcase.
    AlienHeadNewMat.jpg

Well, this'll be it for now, I have summer holiday atm, so I'll probably update frequently.

And plz, crits
    Last edited by TheGreenMachine; 07-23-09 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Title change, updated image contains nudity

The old man looks so funny!, great job!, that hands looks so cool also!, and the las one i love it, great job!!

Thx man, glad you like

Member Follow User Gallery

These models are brilliant man, they look like wood carvings, which is cool. Is that purposeful?
    My Sketchbook -WIP: Random Character Bust

thx, great to hear seanL

well not specifically purposefull, I think it's a combination of the shader and the harsh techniques I tend to use, that create that feel (I myself though it had something of roughly handled clay or wood indeed). I kinda stumbled upon the look. Glad you like

Default Update #1

Been busy today doing a little testing and messing around. I'm used to using quite an elaborate basemesh made in maya for my meshes. I wanted to try to get a Zshpere basemesh going.

NewWorkFlowTest.jpg
    AlienAndAnatomy.jpg

also did some quick head sculpting (so much fun) this morning

expression test
    YoungScreamStudy.jpg
    Females are hard as hell
    FemalHeadStudy.jpg
    Quick idea
    AlienIdeaSpeedSculpt.jpg

let me know what you guys think, these are all very WIP so crits are very welcome
    Luke Groen

reboot!

Default Quick Update #1.5

I was not sure what to do with the alien character, so I decide to go and study a bit of anatomy.

HumanAnatomyStudy.jpg
    HumanAnatomyStudyClose.jpg
    Luke Groen

reboot!

no crits?
    Last edited by TheGreenMachine; 07-24-09 at 01:59 AM. Reason: embarrassing typing error
    Luke Groen

reboot!

hey there !
    cool works here.
    I really love your alien !
    Great start on your sketchbook
    Keep it up

Member Follow User Gallery

Really good stuff TGM, I would crit your latest model, the anatomy study, but you know how I am with anatomy eh?

I'm liking the alien you made from ZSpheres though, it's nice looking
    My Sketchbook -WIP: Random Character Bust

You've got some really cool stuff here i especially like the alien designs.

with regards to the female sculpt if your going for an younger model try making the muscles around the mouth less pronounced and give the overall sculpt a smoother finish, a more rounded jaw and slightly angled eyes can also help; for older models the muscles should also be less prominent than in a male figure but hinting at the muscles with the line of wrinkles and fatty deposits can often give a better result than pushing the muscles more.

There is a good video tutorial on gnomonology for sculpting a female figure which may be helpful.

I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.
    Last edited by HD CG ADDICT; 07-27-09 at 05:34 PM.

OlirO: Thx dude
    seanL : hehe, thx dude
    HD CG ADDICT: Thx and thx for the crits!

Ok small update coming along, didn't do too much, it's vacation after all

1. Anatomy update, fixed stuff in legs (although these still need alot of work) and some minor stuff in the torso. I'm going to start on the feet and the hands today.

AntomyUpdate.jpg

2. Female second attempt, went for a smoother finish, I think the proportioning is getting there, but crits very much welcome

AnotherFemaleTry.jpg

3. Thirdly I did a few small steps in the texturing world, I really like the polypainting in Zbrush after a few hours of messing around. I do have a quick quetsion about it though: Can I make my own pallete of colors? It would be nice if I could go back to certain colors without having too guess (i'm a noob at this)

PolyPaintMessAround.jpg
    Luke Groen

reboot!

Good work on the models.

You've definitely got the forms a lot better with the new female model my only advise would be to go back and tweak the point where the sternocleidomastoid meets the clavicle and the curve of the clavicle as it heads towards the shoulders. The breasts are ok but I think they are pointing a bit to forward try blocking in the rib cage first then “laying” the breasts on top, this should make it easier to get the angles right. The face is good no real crits there

you can add custom colours to the syspallete found under the colours tab but if you only want them whilst your working on one model I would suggest just adding the colours in 2d mode on your canvas then drag from the colour palette onto the colours to select them (its just a bit quicker In my opinion).

first-off thx for the crits, i'll be doing a third attempt soon

second, i'm gonna risk sounding like a big noob here, but what exactly do you mean by "2d-mode" cause when I go out of what I see as "3d mode" and do something else, I can't get back into the 3d model.....(or can I?)
    could you maybe clarify? thx in advance
    Luke Groen

reboot!

The way I do it and to be clear its only a personal preference is: make a new document switch the matcap to the flat colour chose the colours you want and paint them into a small corner of the screen (like a little palette) using the simple brush then save the document (so that I can be loaded again should you need to work on the model more than once). you can then drag your 3d tool onto the canvas and work normally.

This does have a draw back that if you wish to add more colours you must reopen the saved document add the colours then drop the 3d tool back onto the canvas. I tend to use this method if I have a predetermined colour scheme. If you use this method and you add a new colour to your tool but you don't wish to add it to the canvas you can always just drag from the colour picker to the area on the 3d model where the colour you want has been painted this will then set that colour as active. Its all a matter of what suits you best.

Another way I have seen used is to append a plane as a sub tool and use that to store colours on; just fill the plane with the flat colour matcap and its ready to be used as a palette. And another method is the syspallete I mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast