ZBrushCentral

Salvage Sketchbook

Hello Everyone,

I am going to be starting a sketchbook with my personal work and school work from Gnomon. Feel free to comment, hope you enjoy.

Salvage

[Character bust]Character_1.jpg

[[attach=147767]Character_1.jpg[/attach]]Character_1.jpg

A couple of open projects

The wolfman
[[attach=147769]wolfman.jpg[/attach]]wolfman.jpg

Human Anatomy Study
[[attach=147770]Human Anatomy.jpg[/attach]]Human Anatomy.jpg

GNOMON project
“Human Skull”
[Skull_01.jpg]

No one post so I do.
First of all. You can post all images in one post.

I don’t know what then talking about in Gnomon tutorials but you can take my words as errata. :wink:
Skull is best because is most educational for you. Most of new zbrush users don’t practice it right way of progress and make human-like-aliens-monsters without any kind of feeling and vibe. Of course it’s still good if all they want from their work is fun of sculpting. But they sometime realize they don’t have basics and can’t show others that they have in mind.
If you want to get beter and grow I suggest to make more things from reality like skull u did. Abillity to make good looking and anatomy correct humans or animals is important. Not only for makeing humans and animals again and again. Someday when you start to sculpt fantasy monster you realize that best looking works of design masters are strongly based on things that we already have in our minds. :slight_smile: Anatomy, emotions, proportions, manhood or womanhood, age. Our brains undarstand all of this beside edge of our awareness. In fantasy monsters too! They are always image of humans cause we are their creators. :slight_smile:

As I can see on last image you are quite good at this intuitional feeling and i decide to post couse of this. My suggestion: Find tons on reference images and then make more things like skull od human study. If you practise in good direction you can be better. Keep going! :slight_smile:

Sorry for my english. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi!,

In looking at the skull, you have couple of really nice details that a lot of people miss like that the parietal eminance is the widest part of the skull and a good general shape of the maxilla and these are really important "boundaries" or "markers" for later when you add in the muscles. There are a couple of areas that you may want to double check against reference: specifically as a general rule, the skull, when viewed from the side, fits inside a square and it seems very much like you have the chin/mental protuberance going very far down and at a very steep angle and long length comparitive to the tempero-mandibular joint and ramus of the mandible, you may also want to check how large the temporal fossa is relative to skull size and how it interacts with the zygomatic process since the temporalis does some interesting things to the shape of the head. (Sorry about all the medical terminology but when I was at Gnomon as a student, Scott Spencer drilled it into us to make it easier to look at work and communicate in a precise way). BTW, who's your instructor for ZB at Gnomon? Mine were Ryan, Meats and Scott but I don't know whose teaching right now. That's the one thing I miss about moving from Los Angeles is not having access to Gnomon (I lived within walking distance). You have a really nice beginning here so please keep working on it, the base points are there and now it's really just the "tweak" stage that you're working on. Good luck!

Johannes

Poniu: Thank you for the advice. Your absolutely right about the models from real life. They seem to be the ones that are more critical because the average person has something to base their critique off of.

Johannes: Your going to make me have to look all that up man, haha. I am currently in intro to Zbrush with Eric Keller. He is starting us off with a skull sculpt to get fimiliar with the tools. I am somewhat self taught with Zbrush, so im not a complete noob, however, this will be my first formal class on the program. I will be taking the anatomy course with Ryan in the Fall so Im sure we will be going into more of the specifics of the skull anatomy amoung other areas of course. You were quite lucky to have lived so close. I have to commute about 1 hour each way, but its worth it.

Thanks for the comments guys, i should have more stuff up soon.

Salvage

Here is another version of a human skull. This time we used reference within Zbrush and subdivided certain areas like the eye sockets with edge loops. Different approach similar look, but the geometry is more organized and i did have more detail for areas like the teeth.

[skull_with_ref.jpg]M16A2.jpg

Attachments

m16a2_1.jpg

m16a2_2.jpg

skull_Ref.jpg

This demon was a concept developed by myself and my good friend Josh Keys. He drew the concept and I am just now getting around to modeling it in Zbrush.

[[attach=150172]fettalk_WIP.jpg[/attach]]fettalk_WIP.jpg

poly painted

[[attach=150452]fet_front.jpg[/attach]]fet_front.jpg

[[attach=150453]fet_side.jpg[/attach]]fet_side.jpg

[[attach=150454]fet_threequarter_wire copy.jpg[/attach] ]fet_threequarter_wire copy.jpg

color map

[[attach=150191]Test_Color.jpg[/attach]]Test_Color.jpg

Here is a new character idea of mine from an original sketch by Marshall Vandruff. I altered the side image slightly and drew the front. Ill be roughing in the model in Maya and detailing it in zbrush. Ill try and post as often as possible to get some feedback as i work.

[![side.jpg|1024x1024](upload://65MMT6S2Khl5LGKVTvvMYSg7un6.jpeg)]![zsphere_creature.jpg|960x720](upload://mA5xi9sl0a4vgJ1RJxYnYzkkR08.jpeg)

Attachments

front.jpg

Saber tooth tiger skull

[sabertooth_Skull.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘151317’,‘sabertooth_Skull.jpg’,1,0))

A new update on what I’m calling Skulloctria.

[Skuloctria_sculpting.jpg]Cog_Start.jpg

Hey Tim. This is Rafael Duffie from ZBrush class at Gnomon. Nice work bro!! Check out my thread and give me some feedback. and spread the word for me… I don’t really know how to use ZBrush Central so I haven’t gotten any replies to my thread…

http://zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=73961

Over the weekend I learned how to create color, normal, and displacement maps within Zbrush. This is my first attempt at rendering a normal map within Maya. I think its decent but there are areas that a displacement map would help out. I created a displacement map but every attempt render with the displacement map crashes Maya or ends up in a balloon looking character. Any thought, tips or tricks to settings of the node?

[Cog_test.jpg]

Maya render of my above model. Normal and color maps.

[Fettalk_norm test.jpg]

So far so good, can’t wait to see the Zsphere character all finished. The amount of detail on that one could be endless. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Nice work on the export to Maya. I am still trying to tackle that obstacle.

Keep up the cool work man!

J

Thanks man. I’m finding it hard to stick with one model right now. So here is yet another WIP I started this morning. Seems you haven’t done anything until you have done an old man. I’ll see if I can do some more to the Skulloctria model sometime this week.

[OldMan_WIP.jpg]

Learned how to retopologize Sunday. Had an issue but was able to fix it. The old guy on the left is the same as above, just showing frame. The one on the right has been retopologized.

[Retop.jpg]

Raphael told me to start posting on Zbrush Central, and I found your post on his page. It’s nice to see some fellow students on here. I also think what you said about getting the rest of the class to post and offer critiques is a great idea. You can check out my thread here, I will post more stuff once I figure out how to work this forum better (my pics didn’t show up in message like they should have)
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=74209

Also I saw you post about having trouble with displacement maps ballooning out your guy. The reason is because unlike a bump map where 50% grey is the base and everything darker is recessed and everything lighter is raised, displacement maps start at black for the base and everything just gets raised from there. I learned an expression to put in the alpha offset to correct this and act the same way a bump map does. I can show you in class on Sunday.
Take care,
Aggie

Starting a character of mine from WoW. Just blocking him out and trying for the correct proportions right now.

[gnome_WIP.jpg]gnome_WIP_Ref.jpg

comments and crits welcome.

Tim