ZBrushCentral

Questions and Troubleshooting for ZBrush OSX 3.2, GoZ

Use this thread to post questions or issues concerning ZBrush 3.2 and GoZ for Mac OS X .

Be sure to include any helpful information, such as exact steps necessary to duplicate an issue. Screen shots help as well.

Thanks!

Q: I can send my work from my application to ZBrush, but when I go to send it back from ZBrush to the other application nothing happens.
]A: If ZBrush can not find your GoZ-enabled application or if you have multiple versions of a GoZ-enabled application, (such as Modo 302 and Modo 401, or Maya 2008 and Maya 2009), you may need to specify your preferred target applications. To do so… download the appropriate zip file (attached at the bottom of this post), unzip it and run the included application. This will allow you to select the target application.
Currently the supported versions are: Modo 302,Modo 401, Maya 2008, Maya 2009, Cinema 4D 10, Cinema 4D 10.5, Cinema 4D 11.
Note: Other versions of these applications may work correctly but have not been tested for GoZ compatibility.

Q: When I launch ZBrush 3.2 I get a bunch of “Unable to Open File” errors.
A: ZBrush does not have permission to write to the necessary folders. This is fixed by doing the following:

1. Open the Finder and locate the ZBrushOSX 3.2 folder
  2. Click on the folder to select it and press Cmd+I to Get Info
  3. At the bottom of the Info window, click the padlock to unlock the permissions
  4. Modify folder permissions to "read and write" for all users. you may be asked to enter an administrator password
  5. click the Gear drop-down and activate the option to "Apply to Enclosed Items"
  6. OK the change
  7. Repeat these steps for the /Users/Shared/Pixologic folder
Q: Displacement resolution seems low. When I view my work in my other application, the displacements look faceted or staircased as if it's an 8-bit map. A: This is most likely due to the scale of the model when it exports to your other program. ZBrush 3.2 introduces Scale and Offset settings in the Tool>Export menu. You may need to experiment with these settings to find the best for your application, but begin with Scale at 1 and Offset at 0,0,0.

Q: How can I back up the tools that I’m using in GoZ?
A: Back up the /Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZ_Projects folder. In fact, if you need to reinstall ZBrush it is highly recommended to back up this folder first to ensure that you won’t lose any of your work.

Attachments

SelectGoZApps_Maya.zip (253 KB)

SelectGoZApps_Modo.zip (253 KB)

SelectGoZApps_Cinema4D.zip (254 KB)

Hi There,

I run the installer and it goes through 100% writing files and says ‘The software was successfully installed’ but then a window pops up saying ‘Unable to Open File !:/APPLICATIONS/ZBRUSHOSX 3.2/ZResources/Images/OpenFileZLogo2’ plus a bunch of others after this one then a ‘FILE WRITE ERROR’ comes up and tels me I’m out of disk space (there’s 35Gig free) ?
There isn’t a ZResources folder?

Any ideas?

Hi,

I’m wondering if there may be a file/folder permissions issue when running the .pkg from a non-administrator account (which naturally prompts for administrator privs), but during the .pkg installation, and then if I try to launch the new Application icon from the new 3.2 folder under Applications I’m seeing:

Unable to Open File
!:/APPLICATIONS/ZBRUSHOSX 3.2/ZResources/Images/OpenFileZLogo2

Unable to Open File
as above…ZLogoForNotes

Unable to Open File
"…Images/Txtrs/Texture Off

File Write Error - Incomplete file write

Note - Out of disk space. Virtual memory file can’t be used until more disk space is made available. It is recommended that you save your work and restart ZBrush

Many more unable to Open

etc.

Is there an easy fix?

Best.

Edit: Problem solved.

I feel for you after my nightmare with 3.12b, hope you get it sorted out Roger!

Antimorph,
can you try to re-install as administrator? if not, then maybe try fixing the permmission to the ZBrush and Pixologic folder to allow ZBrush to access its files.

MotleyPete, The ‘locking’ is actually a feature of GoZ. When ZBrush remaps the existing high resolution details to the modified incoming mesh, it automatically masks the re-mapped area, leaving the new area un-masked and ready to be sculpted. You may at any time clear the mask and continue to edit the mesh.

Tip:

After remapping, the morph target contains the subdivided incoming mesh without any high-res details which allows you to ‘erase’ details by using the morph brush.

Trying a few things along those lines, will let you know if any work.

Tried Fixing Permissions on disk and all relevant folders but still no go. ZBrush cannot access it’s files. 3.12 works perfectly??
Tried restart no luck.
I am an administrator also so that’s not the issue.

Help

Cinema 4D GOZ isn’t working. Got it installed correctly as per the video… I can export from C4D to ZBrush. I hit GOZ from ZBrush and select C4D.
Nothing happens.
Any ideas?

Roger Harris,
Please try…

1. Locate the 3.2 folder.
  2. press command-i to get info.
  3. modify the folder permissions to ‘read and write’ for all (you may be asked to enter administrator password).
  4. Select “Apply to enclosed items”.

Hi, it does seem to be a permissions issue.

The resolution in my case was as follows:

1. Open the Applications Folder in Finder
  2. Ctrl-Click on the ZBrushOSX 3.2 folder.
  3. Get Info
    In the ‘Sharing and Permissions’ bit:
    4.Unlock the padlock at the bottom right of the get info dialog (as necessary).
  4. Press the + symbol.
  5. Choose the current user to add it to the permissions list
  6. Change the permissions for that user to Read&Write
  7. Click the Gear drop down at the bottom of the ‘Get Info’ dialog
  8. Enable ‘Apply to enclosed items’
  9. Ok the change

Edit: Repeat steps for the Pixologic folder (located in /Users/Shared folder)

Launch ZBrush.

Bw

Snap! :slight_smile:

Did the read& write thing earlier but that doesn’t work.

However, Antimorph’s solution does! Thanks man, your a star.

Phew!

Sorry, I deleted my post, because I figured it out, but thanks for the response anyway. Much appreciated.

And thanks for the tip about the morph brush, I’ll try that out.

ZBrush 3.2 installed after several tryouts, I got a modell from Cinema 4D into ZBrush but not back into Cinema. any idea?

OK. Now I’m getting an ‘Incomplete File Write’ error when I start up and the vmem folder is instantly filling up with files called ‘4000Filejbaaaaaa.mem’
and similar.
??

Not sure how to get it to work with Modo either as none of the video links work for me. I just get the referring server error every time

ho hum

Roger Harris, Repeat the same permissions fix (that you have applied to the ZBrush folder) to the Pixologic folder (located in /Users/Shared folder).

scobb3, Do you have multiple versions of Cinema4D? Download the attached file, unzip it and launch the SelectGoZApps_Cinema4D app. Ths will allow you to specify which Cinema4D is the ‘target’ GoZ application.
Let me know if this helps
:slight_smile:

Attachments

SelectGoZApps_Cinema4D.zip (254 KB)