ZBrushCentral

Hobo WIP

OK, so I haven’t submitted anything in a really long time. But I got inspired today and decided to work on this Hobo project. I don’t know how long it will take me, but I plan to do my absolute best, better than I’ve ever tried before. This is the first stage… just the old hobo’s head and neck, which I will put in his clothing later. I haven’t consulted any anatomy references yet, I just wanted to go with the flow. Later, I will add more detailed wrinkles and such, using some photos for reference, then polypaint a texture.

I just wanted to share the WIP to keep myself motivated. Any crits are welcome, but keep in mind I haven’t used any reference and the hobo is going to be stylized.

The material used here is Stumpf’s Sculpy, and my own eye material. No polypaint yet… just mats.

Hobo.jpg

nice skin … give me the feeling that is very soft

Thanks, HiPi, but I can’t take credit for the skin… it is a MatCap submitted by Ralf Stumpf.

Here is an update. It seems no matter how hard I try, and think “This time, I’m going to do a great job” it still seems subpar to me. But, I’m not giving up. You may see a few more versions of this head before I’m through. :smiley:

Hobo2.jpg

it’s a nice start brian and glad to see you working again.
i know you are terrible at taking c&c but hopefully it will help.
you say"This time, I’m going to do a great job" but “I haven’t consulted any anatomy references yet,” your answer is right there. use some photos search for old men, hell base him on Burroughs then change it a little.
also, are you working in perspective mode?
do you want it to be slightly cartoony? they eyes being the size that they are make it seem that way, also the exaggeration of the forms. wish i knew what you were going for… hence a reference pic or something.
the cranium should be half the height of the head and the top of the ears are too high as well.
i feel like you already got ahead of your self in subdivision levels and starting to put pores and wrinkles and expression in there without getting your major forms sussed out first, but if you like to work that way cool, but it means you’ll lose those small details if you try to smooth.
also try to sculpt without the RS materials, they hide quite a bit of what’s really going on sometimes.

Hey Slosh, looks like you’re off to a good start. In my humble opinion, I’d say maybe spend a bit more time at the lower subdivision levels really trying to establish a strong underlying structure. Basically, spending some time really getting the primary forms/planes/proportions/relationships/anatomy of the skull/head/neck in place and defined. It looks like you moved too soon to the refinement stage without a solid structure underneath. (Planes, masses, bony landmarks etc.)

Once you have established a basic, solid underlying structure of the head/skull/primary forms, then move onto establishing your secondary shapes/forms and their structures, focusing again on the simplified shapes and planes, and how they relate to/interlock with each other. The nose, brow, jaw, neck etc. A lot of times I use the flatten brush and the clay tubes brush up until this point.

Once I have the structures/forms/planes blocked in and established, then I move onto the refinement and detailing, rounding out the forms and anatomy, adding wrinkles etc.

Also, don’t hesitate to use reference. You’ll learn a lot faster and build a mental library of references to pull from when you make thiings up and design characters like this.

Thast’s my 2 bits, in a nut shell. Hope it helps. Keep up the good work!

didn’t i just say something like that? lol

Looks like we were replying at the same time - that’s what I get for typing slow. Hopefully our crits will be twice as easy to understand now. :slight_smile:

i was just kidding and i’m glad someone else agreed, brian never listens to me anyway:lol:

I feel like I’m getting advice from the world’s worst two superheroes… Spaceboy and FattKid!!! Ya know, like ElectroWoman and DynaGirl? Hope that came across as funny, like I intended. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No, seriously though. I think it’s interesting to get practically the same comment back to back (or simultaneously, as it were). I actually did spend quite a bit of time at sub1 and didn’t move up divisions until (I thought) I was ready. Unfortunately, I watched the videos of Simon Blanc making his No More Wine and wanted to play with the damStandard brush and the Slash2, etc. I couldn’t get anything good with low subd, so I went too high, too soon. My subd 1 face isn’t too bad, really. I’ll show it below.

The 2nd version above has no more polys than version 1. I just went nuts trying to add wrinkly details. I actually kind of (and I stress KIND OF) like how he looks, with maybe a few more tweaks. I am going for cartoony, or stylized as I put it, since I will drive myself nuts trying to go for realistic. For version 2, I did end up using a mirror to do his ear, and a pic of an old man’s eye for his eyes. It wasn’t until later that I realized I tend to make my face too… not flat enough. I guess this is where laying in the foundation at sub1 comes in???

I don’t intend to quit on this, if it takes me a month. Thanks for looking at being straight up front. It will make it simpler later on. I might start from square one (or sub1 again) and see what I can do. Spaceboy, you know I never listen to you :stuck_out_tongue:

ZBrush Document.jpg

Wait!!! Let me look at you… is that… Slosh??

WOW!! Nice one dude!!! Good to see you again!

This is so funny, must be the season for old friends to pick up the ZBrush bug again!

And yeah, good to see you ain’t too rusty man!

I can’t really offer any C&C other than what’s been said, besides my own skills are still too apprentice (had a fairly long sabbatical myself.)

But I’m cheering you on 100% my friend.

Welcome back! :D:+1:

Took the advice of Spaceboy and FattKid (that still makes me chuckle) and started over. This time, I made sure to do as much modeling at each subdivision level as I could manage before moving up a level. I must say, it really does help to do that (thanks guys). The final for tonight at subdivision 4 (28,800 polygons) is the most happy I have ever been with a head. Of course, I still haven’t even tackled the eyes, but I had to stop for awhile. My own eyes are burnin’ from staring at the screen.

I’m very happy so far with this. To get this same level of detail, I would normally already be in the 1 million poly levels. Obviously not necessary, and I might add that I actually think it looks better anatomically than any other head I’ve ever done. I still haven’t used any reference, but not because I don’t understand that it is important… it’s only that I wanted to work freely and just get used to working out the major areas, sort of practice strokes. When I get more comfortable with things, I will get more technical.

That said, I know I can still expect someone to say, “The shape of the head is off,” or “the nose should line up with the eyesockets,” etc. These comments are welcome anyway, so let me have it.

Head062909 copy.jpg

Wow! Great job! This last head is a world of improvement beyond your previous attempt. Definitely looks a lot more solid and structurally sound. Yeah, I’ve found that really getting the shapes and forms in place and reading well at the lower subd levels is the key. Keep it up!

improvment! now make him look like he’s been through hell and more gaunt. have you ever met any real hobos?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo
you don’t need to sign all your wip
made a quick ref for you, too tired to type more:

[attach=146715]Untitled-1.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Untitled-1.jpg

you may also be interested in woody guthrie, not exactly a hobo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Guthrie

OK, not exactly the hobo, but some good head practice anyway. I have to pick up my nephew now, so no updates until tomorrow.

Posed Head 062909.jpg

it is a improvement,
i sent you a PM.

are you still working on this or did you give up?

lol, no I didn’t give up on it… just briefly put on the back burner while I practice my modeling skills. It’s been a few days since my last post, and I’ve had time to look at the newest sculpt with “fresh eyes”, and I’ve made a few corrections. I’ve also started a couple more busts, trying different zsphere configurations to start, and also practiced retopologizing with a smoother edge flow.

Did you see that Brett Sinclair has posted a hobo WIP? Rockwell’s hobo, if you didn’t catch it.

why not block out the body, clothes pose, heck do a sketch even, seems like you’re getting hung up. avoid the head for the time being.
also i’m not fond of rockwell at all. hopefully brett will inspire you instead of dissuade you.
don’t worry about topology and stuff, i thought you had a good machine now. just do it!

Thanks for the encouragement, A. But, seriously, I’m not hung up at any level. I just got excited about doing a decent head model for a change and want to switch focus temporarily and get more practise in on that aspect of things.

As for Brett’s entry, it won’t dissuade me at all. I’m not going for a Rockwellian look, so they should be very different. I do wonder, however, if it’s only a coincidence that we are both doing the hobos. Not that it matters, but it just seems odd. He is so talented, really, and I just want to get better and needed an idea to work toward, a goal if you will. Brett has already garnered the attention his skill level has earned him, and when I post my final image, the thumbnail should get looks. I know what you are thinking… “Who cares about that, just do it for yourself.” And I am, which is why my focus has temporarily changed. But, the feedback is still a nice thing to have. Otherwise, why bother posting at all?