Senior Member Follow User Gallery

well guys decimation techniques have always existed, there is a free software called meshlab tht does it pretty well but there's an advantage on doing it in ZB is more streamline... The biggest advantage is in the normalsmaps I think.. decimation techniques + xnormal = crazyness!

anyone who had to deal with scandata knows what I'm talking about
    it's nothing new, just better
    S
    Stefano Dubay
    Zbrush Artist - Texure Painter - Modeler
    Psyop Inc.

Dominance IV Entry : Berith: Infernal Duke of Slaughter and Blasphemy

My DW IV ZBC Thread

----

That is not dead which can eternal lie, yet with stranger aeons, even Death may die...

----

www.4thvanishingpoint.com

Quote Originally Posted by sephirothsinic
    well guys decimation techniques have always existed, there is a free software called meshlab tht does it pretty well but there's an advantage on doing it in ZB is more streamline... The biggest advantage is in the normalsmaps I think.. decimation techniques + xnormal = crazyness!

anyone who had to deal with scandata knows what I'm talking about
    it's nothing new, just better
    S
    Very interesting information. I was unaware of any other decimation techniques other than optimizing and such in other apps. Decimation Master seems to focus on keeping the detail, as well as optimizing.

Once you use decimation master your UVs are thrown out the window right?

I am curious to why some one would use normal maps after decimation master since the normal info is already there? And if UV's are gone, it requires doing them over again to use xnormal and get normal and displacement maps.

I may have miss-interpreted your post. Do you mean that decimation master makes it easier to generate normal maps onto your low res model, by allowing you to take it into another app like Max or Maya since there is less geometry?

I apologize if I totally miss-understood.
    Life Is The Temporary Break Away From Nothingness.

I extensively use decimation for the following:
    1. Resurfacing in maya using NEX from the cheesy parametric basemodel for maquette creation (AKA stickfigure basemesh) to the final thought out nice topology model. I found very simple topology is way better way to sculpt, keeps it looser and u dont have to deal with localized topological density as in the looped regions.
    2. the power if being able to compress a 200 mil model in less than 1 million is huge, of course we are talking of the highres target, nevertheless i had once to model this square with lots of statues and I had no time to resurface them and they were static so i decimated them down to 3000 and get all of the details back through a simple uv mapping and normals.

to Ryan, I think u can push tht decimation even further, u have very little high freq details on it is very smooth brolly u could get it right around 10000 to 50000 without loosing much...

I love decimation once I had to reduce a whole environment for the last Mummy film and I went from something crazy like 300mil polys to 2or 3 without loosing much..

Another handy thing, If u have a super heavy model and zb crashes just split it, select boundary preserve and then stitch it back together with import add and merge, it works great... eventually dec Master goes faster too... u still have the pain to have to export everything and reimport it again but seriously tht's not a big deal!
    Stefano Dubay
    Psyop Inc.

My DW IV ZBC Thread

----

That is not dead which can eternal lie, yet with stranger aeons, even Death may die...

----

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thumbs up

so cool and so sexy~

New Member Follow User Gallery

Wow Ryan! Just beathtaking! I hope you will doing a Render-Tutorial related to your realistic sculpts Very nice. Hope I will be reaching this konwledge and realisim one day
    urp!

Quote Originally Posted by Aberrant
    Once you use decimation master your UVs are thrown out the window right?
    I take it you didn't see the big "keep uvs" button right above "decimate all" heheh
    [ 3D Artist - Escalation Studios, Dallas TX | My Portfolio Site | LinkedIn ]

Quote Originally Posted by eldee.s
    I take it you didn't see the big "keep uvs" button right above "decimate all" heheh
    Nope never used it, now that I see major uses for it and how handy it is I will definitely start to. Thanks for pointing that out. It makes no sense to me how you can alter geometry, remove faces, combine verts, but still have UV's. I guess it doesn't matter if it makes sense as long as it works. Thanks again for pointing that out.
    Life Is The Temporary Break Away From Nothingness.

the keep uv gives you a definitely not too good decimation... it preserves all the points on the lowres uvs unchanged making a bit of a mess....
    in case you can always tranfers uvs using mesh/transferattributes/uvsets/all
    since the models should overlap nicely running it in world coordinates should work fine, give it a shot
    Stefano Dubay
    Psyop Inc.

My DW IV ZBC Thread

----

----

ichiban - Thanks.

vedanta - the dvd will be updated. Glad you found it useful.

amolpatil - Thanks.

sephirothsinic - thanks for the info.

Aberrant - make a post in the decimation master there here and I'm sure someone will have a answer for ya.

VegaShadaloo - I will definitely do a tutorial on realism. I am about to release a free tutorial on using decimation master for export. Another tutorial should follow with more info on rendering. Not sure it will be a free one, though.

Best,

Ryan
    UArtsy - the Online Art School

freeTutThumb_decimationmaster.jpg

Hello Guys, I have created a free tutorial that shows the first part of the new rendering pipeline between ZBrush and Maya/Max/XSI with Decimation Master.

You can use the link below
    Free Decimation Master Tutorial (registration required)

Best,

Ryan
    Last edited by ryankingslien; 06-11-09 at 11:16 AM.
    UArtsy - the Online Art School

Thanks Ryan!

Thanks ryan for your tutorials,
    But cant seem to view any of them at the mo? ie/firefox no go

Thank you so much Ryan..you are such a hero!

ryan i'm gettting some sort of error on the gnomon page, in both IE and firefox, a separate window will open but it will just contain the same page layout of the vids, the status bar says displayed with errors.

Hi Ryan, same here I logged in but cant view any of the tutorials, I'm using firefox.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7891011121319 ... LastLast