ZBrushCentral

Weekly Sketch Group(Topic#6 - 1 of 10 Popular Mythical/Fantasy Creatures)

[color=Yellow]The topic of this week’s zSketch challenge is…
“1 of 10 Popular Mythical/Fantasy Creatures”

Pick one of these ten popular mythical/fantasy creatures and base a sculpt around them or an aspect of their myth.

(Click on any of the creatures for a link to an image and description)

1. Dragon
  2. Goblin
  3. Chimera
  4. Mermaid
    Cyclops
    6. Gryphon
  5. Fairy
  6. Gorgon
  7. Troll
  8. Oni

[color=Yellow]The Deadline For This Topic Is:
Wednesday, May 20th
[color=Cyan]Post any work you are doing on the topic and please feel welcome to give constructive criticism to anyone who asks for it.[color=Yellow]

Please feel free to suggest topics, I'll check all of these posts and keep a list from now on.

Changed the topic around a bit based on a suggestion by spaceboy412, hopefully this will cut down the research and increase the sculpting.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

i think these challenges would get more action if they were more about replication instead of creation. asking people to conceptualize and share that is asking a lot for some people, i know people get protective of their ideas. for this challenge for instance you could link to a book by Froud or Grimm, something very specific, 10 characters or something and see how artists interpret those.

Do you think this topic is a little more manageable?

Hopefully we get some good participation. I do these so that people will practice and have a good time and if nobody is practicing or having fun than it’s pretty pointless.

i’m considering entering this one. what i don’t understand is how the challenge board keeps getting non challenge related posts and they remain there, it doesn’t help with this weekly one if no one sees it. sigh.

oh also good job on the links that helps much, i wonder if those are really the top ten, hehe.

if i don’t enter or my entry is blank, here is why:
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
> what is a grue? The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

No clue on if those are actually the top ten…
I wonder if they have such a thing? “Top ten fantasy monsters”?

Who would decide which ones make the list?

Well, in this case I guess it was me…

Anyways, Haven’t got started on this one yet but I have the next couple of days off, so I should get a good start on it at least.

Hopefully the group of people who said they were interested in doing these challenges pop in and give it a shot. You’re right though, it’s gotta be difficult searching through all of the non-challenge related posts that people keep posting here.

The grue should eat them.

Hey Dribble, I feel like a weasel. I really will participate on one of these :smiley: This one looks really good! Have to get my home machine usable again!

Hey,

So I’m the first? Nobody likes to sketch???

Here’s my Troll.

Hope you like it. Cheers.

Attachments

troll04.jpg

troll05.jpg

Hey Stefan, great start there dude. I like the the shape. I would say the texture/ polypaint looks slightly similar between the body and the ‘seat’. Prehaps if you did a different colour/ texture for the bottom section it would help define the piece a bit more. Maybe that was your intention. Other than that it is nice to see the first piece in a section I have only just found on ZBC

I think you should do more :+1: look forward to your next update.

Nice start! Already looking great!

[attach=140343]ONI.jpg[/attach]

This is what I have so far.
It looks great in photoshop and zbrush but whenever i save it…

well, it looks like this.

Anyone got any tips?

Attachments

ONI.jpg

the troll is looking pretty cool so far. you should go further with it.

ONI new.jpg

Attachments

Oni Update.jpg

well i’ve started to work on the Chimera, but i honestly didn’t like the way they had put it together, different translations also would lead to a different animal. while researching i found this page which equates the chimera originally to be a goddess standing upon a winged lion. i also found some some pics of a sphinx like, woman/lion/wings creature, lastly it is also said the chimera mothred the sphinx, sigh so in an effort to reclaim her womans rights :lol: i’m making it more of the woman/tiger/goat/snaketail with wings type. i only spent about 20 mins actually modeling, hours researching and about 2hrs playing with lights, haha, i’m going for that look of the egyptian lighting in the Chicago Field Museum, very dark etc.
so here’s where i’m at. lots of work to go…
te.jpg

I like it! Very cool so far, I like the lighting a lot.

Did’nt check the rules about rendering in other progs.
…removed the offensive render. :cool:

WoW Very Nice

That’s awesome!!! I love the way the water effect looks.

wow mental ray!