ZBrushCentral

seth -sketchbook

Ello, This is my sketchbook thread. I dont expect that it will be that good but what the hell :slight_smile: I have dished out the crit so it’s about time that I took some.

My name is Seth and I have been playing with Zbrush and Maya for about two months now, when time allows that is.

I wanted to share my first basemesh with you good folks and I have also included a quick study (about two hours I think…still slow getting to grips with stuff) that resulted from importing it into Zbrush, sorry if its very sketchy It’s the fourth thing that I have done with the program, and I think that I’m coming along o.k. The stubble was probably a bad Idea, I was trying to use alpha’s…FAIL :slight_smile: (best not to mention the ear…I have yet to build one so that squiggle is more like a placeholder)

Anyway I have made about as many excuses for the piece as I can, I have lots to learn so please crit at me lots :slight_smile:

cheers
seth

[head3viewzbrush.jpg]head3view.jpg

A good start for your Sketch book .

Look forward to the updates.

John

thanks John I’m trying to be as non committal as I can to the frequency of updates but I will try.

here’s a speed sculpt (well for me anyway this was about 2 hours.) from earlier this evening using the same basemesh.

[fathead.jpg]

thanks for looking
seth

your basemesh is pretty good but i offer 1 bit of advice

since you are having trouble with ears you may want to build some sort of ear structure on the basemesh to help

sculpting the ears on those few flat polys is rather difficult

you can do either why but i think having some structure there to start with ends up better

cheers Vulture, the ear will be this weeks polymodeling exercise. I agree that I need some form there, I keep pulling the poly’s too thin without something there to start with.

Does anyone have a better tutorial than secondreality’s one? preferably Maya compatible:)

Good job on the fleshiness of the second face! :+1: Looks like it has real weight.

thanks Marsyas, love your joker piece by the way, any more updates to come on the clayface?

lunchtime quick sketch…If I find the time I will knock some of the symetry out of it, but I dont think that will help much…bit flat in the idea’s department today…alien Mr Burns…what was I thinking :slight_smile:

[longneck.jpg]

thanks for looking

Hehe, I like the craters on the sides of his head.

Dunno bout Clayface–more likely to create a brand new one some day, but thanks!

Yay someone has done another batman piece…well I guess that I had to do one at some point :smiley:

Been playing about with this over the evening, probably wont take it any further but it was fun to do. I have to figure out how to transpose subtools as a single group, every time I move this guys head the eyeballs stay put!!

[

](javascript:zb_insimg(‘140500’,‘batmanCharacterStrip.jpg’,1,0))

crits/comments etc welcome, thanks for looking :slight_smile:

lunchtime sculpting FTW! spent about 45mins on this from zsphere, familiar teritory this piece, based on a Games Workshop style Orc.

[

](javascript:zb_insimg(‘140605’,‘orcheadCharacterStrip.jpg’,1,0))

I wish that the machine I’m on could handle more than 2mill poly’s I feel that there are a lot of areas that need sharp cuts to help define them. Oh well, perhaps there is a way to add definition without adding polys but I was being quick with this one.

well, thanks to everyone for the responses to my earlier question about transpose :wink: I figured out that I needed the transpose master plugin…sorted.

anyways heres another zsphere sculpt, time taken about an hour. There is some bizzare cavity action on the bridge of the nose, not sure how it happened.

[

](javascript:zb_insimg(‘140883’,‘teddy.jpg’,1,0))

cheers.

This is my first piece using subtools, and actually moving them into place which takes a bit of thought but i got there in the end :smiley:

Here’s another zsphere sketch, which I really enjoy doing. At some point I will have to see how many polys I can get away with, I got to 2 1/5 mill with this one and things started to get rather clunky.

comments/crits anyone? ( at this point even a short discussion about the weather would be better than a thread full of me talking to myself :lol: )

[

](javascript:zb_insimg(‘141102’,‘insectCharacterStrip.jpg’,1,0))

Hi Seth! Love your sketchbook entries so far! The alien Mr Burns and Batman being my favourites. Like the last 3 ZSphere sculpts very much, especially the combination of rounded volumes with some sharper edges and flowing lines. Looking forward to the next!

thanks Etcher, your axl thread is both an inspiration and an example of the kind of methodical approach to creation that I dont think that I will ever achieve…great stuff…although oddly alien mr burns is probably my leat favourite.

I have decidede to do something stupid and enter the DWIV mini comp, to sculpt war general’s pet. Here’s the results so far, base was Zspheres and then just worked up from there. Many things to do, if I decide that I like this concept enough not to change it. For now it’s time to sleep :slight_smile:

[petwip1.jpg]

Another couple of hours this morning, mostly working on the right side now.

[lucyCharacterStrip1.jpg]

cool models and cool style!!!:+1:

i like the last one. Very funny and cool sculp. :slight_smile:

The last one looks really cool :slight_smile:

Hey Seth! The last sculpt came out really great! :+1: !

Hey! Been a while. :slight_smile: Nice work on the Batman and the Rhino guy–they have a lot of character! :+1: