ZBrushCentral

Character WIP: Midknight (Sculpt)

Hey Everyone, I am just passing through to share a model that I started this morning, which is a 3d reimaging of a 2d character from Eternal Champion. And the story behind him was that he was an English biochemist working for the government on loan from Interpol (weird huh?), working on a formula to end the vietnam war.

He found out what they really wanted it for and would not stand for that much human destruction and stole back his formula and tried to flee. Cornered at an airport, agents shot at him and he staggered back, falling nine stories into a chemical vat. When he woke up, he was a vampire and used this new strength to escape to cure himself. 133 years later, he was near the end of finishing his cure, because his body was rotting from his refusal to kill anyone to sustain himself, and every third world country was overrun with vampires. Just when he was about to administer the cure to himself, he was killed by a vampire hunter.

And here are some caps of the model in progress…I am still getting a feel for modeling anatomy and all of the cool stuff and I hope that the game version of this model will hold up to the level i want to get to…

Stay tuned.

[[attach=138526]Midknight-So-Far.jpg[/attach]]Midknight-So-Far.jpg

[[attach=138524]Midknight-body.jpg[/attach]]Midknight-body.jpg

Attachments

Midknight-Head.jpg

[Open-Ribs.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘138532’,‘Open-Ribs.jpg’,1,0))

Hey everyone, just a quick update on the torso, trying to make as nasty as I can… trying to get the character into a state of degeneration by using masks…does anyone have any tips on getting sagging skin and wrinkles? I have never worked on an old man before and this is very good time…

Stay tuned…and feel free to give some feedback…

Good morning everyone, just a quick update of this model… :slight_smile: I am still looking for ways to make this guy look old and rotten while retaining some muscle mass. Does anyone have a few tips on making old and rotten skin? And C&C is welcome

[Gross-Out.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘138686’,‘Open-Throat.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

Old-hand.jpg

Open-Throat.jpg

Good morning all…just posting some updates from this morning…still trying to get the legs to look gross and disturbing… stay tuned

[Dressed-up.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘138762’,‘Dressed-up.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

Disturbing-Feet.jpg

Have you got a concept you’re working from cause I would really like to see it to see what you’re working towards. =)

The part where the ears connect to the head looks a little too wide vertically and the ribs look a little roo rounded. But I don’t know if you’ve still got work to do on them or not. :stuck_out_tongue: Are they going to look a little worn as well? Like some chips etc in the bone?

Other than that, I like the missing bit of neck, looks funky. Going to look fairly grusome when it’s done. :slight_smile:

Hey crimson, Yes, I am going to wear down the ribs a little bit but not every rib. And yes I do agree about the ribs looking too rounded, I have to finish them with a little bit of pinching… Not even sure if the cracks in the ribs will appear in the normal map for the game model…

And the missing neck was a part that i was going to leave out but i went ahead with it…

Here is a concept sketch of what i hope to do and the original idea that inspired it.

Still need to rot the back too…i love the exposed spinal column but needs to be refined…

[Exposed-neck.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘138792’,‘Exposed-neck.jpg’,1,0))

Ah very nice. =)

I’m always a fan of exposing inner body parts because a lot of people stop short of going that deep. Probably to keep some sort of rating on their game but whatever. :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah, cracks would probably be best of mainly on the diffuse. Forgot you said it was going to be a game model.

Well, the cracks did appear quite well in the normal map. the torso and head is at 15m polys and i have many subtools…I was going to have the body riddled with bullet scars and other decomp…

anything i could add?

You seem to have the bases covered but maybe some more open wounds, or something like that?

Are you going to be putting it into an engine or is just going to be a game model fo anything. What about textures as well, what res you going to do them at? 4096?

I am planning the wounds but i want to make sure they look really nasty. And also i wanted to test him in UE3 and see how he looks as a game model… for textures, I am using 2048x2048 with heavy use of normal mapping. More to come

Hey everyone, i have a question about doing this in zbrush… i am working on this model’s labcoat and i want to make it look very torn and ripped up…does anyone have advice on where the wrinkles should flow? this is for the normal mapping which will be alpha mapped but i would love the rip this jacket up.

Here is are some caps of what i have so far

[ZGrab01.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘139496’,‘ZGrab01.jpg’,1,0))

stay tuned

Attachments

ZGrab02.jpg

Good morning from Boston everyone. Here is a quick posting on some polypainting on this vampire. I am still working on getting in some more wounds and wrinkles into the face and body. I also want to grain up the bones a little bit too and add some age.

I am postings two versions of the captures, one with the skin shader MatCap and the other with the ToyPlastic MatCap.

I would love to know what you think. More to come.

[Midknight-ZBSKINRender.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘139709’,‘MidknightGlossyRender.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

Midknight-GlossFar.jpg

MidknightGlossyRender.jpg

MidknightSkinRenderFAr.jpg

The second colouring looks nice, gives it that walking dead feel. I think the first skin colouring would be best for a more “I live forever” positive idea. Hard to explain. :stuck_out_tongue:

One quick comment on the ribcage though. The part of the ribs where they dissapear into the body looks a little odd. It looks like the ribs are conforming to the skin slightly rather than the other way around, I think it’s because (or at least looks) like they’re getting considerably wider and flatter towards the point where they dissapear.

Hey Crimson…I totally agree with you about the ribs…I was not sure how to fix them since I am using this model for normal mapping, but it would not hurt to go back and fix them. And yes, I am going for that walking dead feel…

Stay tuned

Good morning…I am just passing through with a texturing update on this character. I am still trying to find a better way to rip up the cloth on this jacket and pants and add more bleeding wounds and bruises.

I had to clone the tool so I can paint specular mapping

And C&C would be awesome…

More to come

[Midknight-ZB_FastShader-Ren.jpg]

Attachments

Midknight-Close-up.jpg

Hey everyone, just posting some progress shots of midknight in his game stage. Still need to work on some more mapping and add things like bruises and cuts. Let me know what you think.

Stay Tuned

[EC_Midknight_withAlphas-Clo.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘142778’,‘EC_Midknight_withAlphas-Clo.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

EC_Midknight_withAlphas.jpg

Hi! Definitely an improvement. I’m not shore what you’re aiming for, so I’ll just go ahead and guess and correct me if I’m wrong :slight_smile:

The improvement is with his clothes, but the body still remains plastic, if you’re going for realism that is. His ribcage looks as though it’s been put upon his chest, and not as though it’s making appearance from within (easy fix, but I would’ve done the skeleton as a separate sub-tool altogether, so you don’t affect it modeling the skin tissue over it - trust me, thoroughness seems as a drag, but you’ll be a lot more at home with it if you know how things work, for example a human body, detailing and modeling everyone can learn, but have a will to study is something else). Hit me back with a pm if you’d like me to hook you up with some helpful tutorials.

cr

hey dude, thanks for the feedback… someone else told me about doing the ribcage as a subtool and I should have listened lol, but i was afraid that it may complicate things for me later. I could just sink in the ribcage back in Zbrush and lay over the skin a bit…a very quick fix :slight_smile:

As for the plastic look, i did that intentionally since this ia game character…i can also fix this by darkening the specular texture a bit…

Well, it is back to ZB for a moment. :slight_smile:

Hey everyone…i think i am at a crossroads with this character. Here is some final renders on this guy before I start my comps on him. The blood was an afterthought and it seems people like it more this way…and I do too… it scares the crap out of me just staring at him.

Let me know what you think

Stay tuned.

[fear.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘144288’,‘Scary-Ass-Pose-1.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

EC_Midknight_FullColourFace.jpg

Scary-ass-pose-2.jpg

Scary-Ass-Pose-1.jpg

Woah, that’s scary looking. It’s amazing how much better it looks when it’s posed. =)

Not much to say about the stand really, maybe crumble the grave a little?

But it’s come a long way and it’s looking great. =)