ZBrushCentral

Indiana Jones (Temple of Doom style)

hey guys,

This is what I've been working on the last week. Started out wanting to do a likeness and one of my childhood heroes is dr. Jones. But after working on the head a bit I decided to go for a full on Indy as seen on one of my favorite posters for temple of doom. Hope you like it. [[attach=137439]indy_MR.jpg[/attach]]![indy_MR.jpg|436x1024](upload://4tNrkjX8nKXCwj7N5BC26WSwf5B.jpeg) And some ZBrush screen captures. [[attach=137440]Indy_Z.jpg[/attach]]![Indy_Z.jpg|1024x737](upload://qNCkf9zPZcSLQRitlMIDK7GW9c9.jpeg) Cheers, M []

Attachments

indy_thumb.jpg

hmm nice work buuut…

it kinda looks like a man on man adult movie cover ^^

i doubt indy would wear his shirt like that.
also he never smiles like that.

But kinda fits to the southpark episode for the newest indy movie.
they aree raaapinngg meeee

eeehhh, thanks, I guess… Maybe you should check up on your old-school indy… He looks exactly like that. I did use reference of course.

[[attach=137459]indy_show.jpg[/attach]]indy_show.jpg

See, shirt way open and that mysterious smile on his face. The smile was only on that one poster but I kinda liked that so that’s what I went for. But if you wanna see a man on man adult cover be my guest. Hope it works for ya :wink:

LOL, sorry that is too funny for words!

Cool model and textures, how much detail did you go into your base mesh? It might be cool to build a small arch for him to be in context.

hey sorry man youre totally on spot with the shirt open :lol:

guess i should do my research before posting.
I guess then its the smirk over his face that made me think about anything exept classik indy ^^

nice work anyways he definitly needs some hairs on his arms and a little more texture there too.
Looks a little flat.

Regarding folds etc looks like your spot on with the movie poster.

Regarding the movie cover… i dont get to see a lot of those in these digital stream ages :lol: Last one i saw was In Diana Jones in some dutch video rental shop. They just put them next to normal videos its hillarious.
The only one that made me laugh even more was Edward with the ehemehem***** hands hahah

Lovely model sir…
Like the wrinkles on the cloth…:+1:

The one and only thing that bothers me is that his face looks like it’s all one color. I’d like to see more variation from nose to lips to cheeks, in terms of hue. Some dirt and cuts couldn’t hurt either. Great work!

db

Thanks guys,

Feder!co - yeah I was thinking about doing a little arch to finish it off, not as big as the poster though that would maybe be too much. Hmmm have to see. And the base mesh was pretty formed already, I did all the mayor folds and forms in Maya and then the details in ZBrush. I like to work that way, gives me better geometry to work with.

Disco - Haha looked up that in diana Jones poster (and the temple of Poon - lol) And you’re right his arms need some more work, doing that next update, thanks.

Night - thank you :smiley:

Dustin - You are absolutly right, cuts and scratches are next and maybe a little dirt.

Cheers, M

Beautiful work! :+1: !

Its a nice start, but the face doesnt really look like Harrison Ford. The jaw line’s off, the brow isnt quite there, the nose lacks the little bend in it, and the whole model seems to be a bit skinnier, and lacks the muscle definition he had in that movie. I really hope to see this through, I love that movie poster!

I am liking it. I agree with feder!co, you should make some kind of ancient arch to put him under. I really like the wrinkles in his cloth as well. however, the only problem I have is his face. It looks good, but it would be awesome if you had it more of a likeness to harrison ford. Overall I really like it and its great. maybe add in some wireframe?

Haha my girlfriend has been telling me for 2 days now that he didn’t look like Ford enough, guess I should have listened. The funny thing is that I worked on his face first until I got the likeness down as you can see here:

[[attach=137499]Indy.jpg[/attach]]Indy.jpg

But I guess something went wrong along the way. Well I will fix it. Don’t agree that he is too thin but he could use a little more definition maybe. Harisson ford was definitely buffed up for Doom but he was no body builder. Will have a look though :smiley:

Thanks for the comments guys, I’ll get right on it and post some updates. And I’ll post a wireframe as well. First sleep…

Cheers, M

I’m liking the sculpt alot, although the render is somewhat lacking. Color and lighting specially. Needs more contrast or/and stronger colors perhabs. I’d play more with it. Great work!

The bridge of his nose is too wide. The length is right but the width is too much. Also, his mouth is a lot longer than it should be. This is where the likeness gets ruined. You may want to work on it a bit more.

Look here:

http://trev-solo.deviantart.com/art/Premium-Indiana-Jones-sculpt-83922630

notice the size of his nose and mouth in comparison to his face.

Ah that is a great ref image teyon, thanks, getting right on it!

And now that I look at it again, the colors are a bit mute, it can only get better… :smiley:

(until it gets worse of course)

Well I did a lot of tweaking and still not completely happy about his eyes for some reason. Nose and mouth feel a lot better. Other then that I tweaked the lighting and added dirt and scratches to him as well as some hair on his arms.

I've also added a screengrab from my basemesh where you can see I went quite far in Maya before heading to ZBrush. [[attach=137610]Indy_endday.jpg[/attach]]![Indy_endday.jpg|385x979](upload://2dnjGKCwtg4ojD43Ek2d1nRWY6D.jpeg) [[attach=137611]wireframe.jpg[/attach]]![wireframe.jpg|368x890](upload://sbGThkum9RNKboBqaicSUZBOWt9.jpeg)

And this is the direction I’m heading in:

[[attach=137613]indy_WIP.jpg[/attach]]indy_WIP.jpg

Still much to do…

Cheers, M

[Indy_endday_thumb.jpg]

Its looking a bit better, especially from the angle (looking up at his face) you have him in your last posted image, yet the likeness is still not quite all the way there. Judging from your head close-ups, it looks like you could still add a lot more detail in the face (why not? It’s ZBrush!). I know what your probably thinking, “but the final image will never be that close!”, however, I think the detail will still read from a distance when the light hits it. Also, a spec map would do wonders in selling the skin textures. Right now, the skin looks a bit too flat and dull, you need to show the oils, sweat, dirt, 3 day old beard, and blood that come along with adventuring! Keep up the great work!!

it feels very much like the poster now, well done!
u could probably enhance the skin around his eyes to make it even better.
just a suggestion :), cheers

I just spent a bit more time looking at your image, and some other harrison ford images.

I noticed your model was pretty much lacking a adams apple! It’s there in the head shots, but not in the full body shots. Ford’s adams apple is fairly prominent. Also, take a look at how the fat outside and above each eye droops down when he squints, and also how the bags bunch up. (http://tranarproducts.com/MoviePosters/Indiana%20Jones%20&%20The%20Temple%20of%20Doom.JPG)

As well, his chin has a bit more of a “butt” than your model shows, and just above, he has that distinctive scar.

His cheek bones are also a bit more prominent than what your model shows.

Looking at his lips, his lips are a slightly more defined, and his lower lip is more “flat” if you were to look at him straight on, whereas your model shows it moving up to the corners of his mouth too quickly.

Your revised model has a better nose indeed, but it still looks like it lacks the odd bend he has below the bridge. It is more obvious in the Raiders poster here: (http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/raidersrolledjune07.jpg) and in this photo: (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.elasticpop.com/IJTemple_Still_PK_C-18.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.elasticpop.com/2008/05/dvd-review-indiana-jones-and-t.htm&usg=__sV0wZb4IXWl2dXgzjXghA5CrCro=&h=3600&w=2344&sz=1122&hl=en&start=80&um=1&tbnid=jzVhlL3DHRlPeM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtemple%2Bof%2Bdoom%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1C1GGLS_enUS313US313%26sa%3DN%26start%3D72%26um%3D1)

Also, you might want to tone down his chest hair a little.

I hope this helps!

Hey Max and omni, thanks for the comments. I think you’re absolutely right max, more detail is the way to go. There is actually more detail then the big headshot I showed earlier (that was actually how far I took it in Maya, no detail added yet) but it needs more for a better specular (again there is specular but he needs to be more sweaty, defintlty).

Now that bend on the nose, I never noticed that but I can see it now, good eye :smiley: I actually changed the lips after looking at the sculpt pic teyon send and some other reference pics. I’ll have a look again because the face needs to be spot on. Also the fat around his eyes is the key I think.

I really appreciate the input guys, helps tons! I’m gonna work a bit on the background now because I worked on his face yesterday and variaty is king, hehe

Cheers, M