Senior Member User Gallery

Default Dominance War 4 | JakeLV426 | Corripia, Lady of Parasites

Hey ZBC, was including this in another thread, Aurick suggested I start a new DW thread in the correct section, so here it is. I'm making a Demon Lord, death association. He'll be the Lord of Parasites, so there'll be all kinds of disgustingness on him if all goes well. Please feel free to mercilessly tear these concepts apart, i'm giving myself a week of design before starting the 3d build! I'm fighting with gameartisans.org, this is my first Dominance War, so I'm pretty excited.

Departed a little bit in the design phase, for a while he was becoming like a female lich-type thing, but i've since (after some good advice from lots of people) gone back to earlier stages and developed that. Stay tuned, I hope to have a newer veresion later tonight.

concepts_001.jpg
    concepts_002.jpg concepts_003.jpg
    Last edited by JakeLV426; 03-19-09 at 11:20 PM.

---------------------------------------
    Jake Raymor Portfolio Website

Awesome concepts. Did you make those in Alchemy? I tried to use it today but I have no idea how to use it properly lol
    Check out my sketchbook HERE! C & C Welcomed and appreciated.

I don't know what Alchemy is

I painted them in photoshop, and collage in some photo reference!

Here's some updates!
    I think I'm getting somewhere....I was liking the idea of him having his back legs, but instead of being useless and dragging along, they will just be kind of sideways, like someone twisted his legs into cricket-style legs! So, his movement will be a combination of the mass of tentacles moving and his legs pushing. I imagine he could also use them to jump, per his association with the lowly flea!

Not sure if the hands will stay as the 3-fingered nubbly thing it is, or be more like flea claws. At this point I'm making sure I start thinking about polycount...all these protruding limbs and stuff could add up fairly quickly.
    Starting to feel pretty confident in this guy

concepts_004.jpg concepts_005.jpg

Great concept, judging from your previous models this should be a great model. I was wondering if you happened to know of a tutorial which covers the process you used to create your concept art.

Here's some concept updates. Not sure if it's getting better, or just different.

wdcstudios
    : I can't think of a tutorial off the top of my head, my process is kind of a mash up of a lot of techniques. Mostly, I'll rough in some forms, grab a ton of reference pictures and overlay/multiply or whatever them on top in Photoshop, then go back to painting, and using color dodge and multiply brushes to punch in lights and darks. Once a base is established, I play with the silhouette using transforms, like the warp or liquefy tool. Sometimes ill start with silhouettes too. For this guy I started with some photo collage, cause I had no idea what I was going to do other than 'Demon Lord'. I'll try to throw together a quick process tut for you when I get a moment to breathe!

concepts_006.jpg concepts_007.jpg

Update:

concepts_008.jpg (264.4 KB)
    concepts_008.jpg

Wow, the concept's just so grande! and at the design stage this piece's so rocking!

One last update before bed....I think im burned out for today. Trying to resolve her lower body.

Hey Jake what happened to going as a male?? I am not sure if the female placed there fits with the overall nasty parasitic design or is she now a demon princess?? Looking forward to updates
    *Character Artist at RockStar Games*

*Available for Freelance*

CLICK HERE FOR PORTFOLIO

Etcher - I like that...2d Kitbashing....I believe you've coined a phrase for my process! Lol

GregStrangis - The female thing just kind of happened during my playing around. I was trying to make things fit, and since the theme is parasitic, it made sense to have one thing controlling another. I'm just rolling with it, and I was digging the woman. Not sure about how to really incorporate her human arms yet though, I want to be careful how many human parts this thing has.

I'm honestly not really crazy about any of these. Any thoughts?

heads_001.jpg

Smile

Hi JakeLV426! Could be that the forms of the hats are not agressive enough - too elegant and feminine. Can't offer an alternative though... , maybe some shapes that are sharper, spikier or more insect-like, some parts connected to her head/neck. Lookin' forward to the updates! !

(btw Chris Perna and his team on GOW used the term "kit-bashing" to describe the proces of creating a new character mesh by dissecting and combining old ones)

Default Weeds...

Jake how about a weedy look, branch like objects shooting out like and Indian head piece... something more evil and scary....

Ziggy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast