ZBrushCentral

What's your ZBrush/Wacom configuration?

The one problem that I’m facing with ZBrush is my UI and Wacom settings, and getting them the most effectively setup possible.

I was curious, what type of UI do you use, and your Wacom/hotkey settings do you use the most?

I have Photoshop and Painter setup the way I like them but ZBrush is much more advanced and I’m finding myself having to use the keyboard much more than I’d like to.

My tablet is a Wacom 6x11 Intuos3. Any setup tips to get ZBrush working efficiently with JUST the tablet (no need to go back and forth between tablet buttons and keyboard buttons) would be such a great help.

Any screenshots of your workspace or UIs that you have customized for ZBrush would definitely help too :smiley:

THANKS IN ADVANCED!

My PC is a Core2 Quad 2.83ghz w/8GB RAM, 3.5TB HDD, GeForce 8800GT 512MB, & Vista Ultimate x64.

My Monitor1 is a Samsung SyncMaster T220 22" @ 1680x1050x32.
My Monitor2/Tablet is a Wacom Cintiq 12wx @ 1280x800x32.

In ZB, I’m using the default layout with the following express key setup (attached). This allows me to undo, mask, smooth, zsub, & control symmetry without hitting my keyboard.

Attachments

wacom.jpg

I too am interested in this. Exact same problem.

What? No love for tablet buttons? Those things are a godsend. I can cradle my tablet and almost never have to touch my keyboard. I find the default UI to be plenty fast enough. The things that would usually take me out of the moment are the modifier keys (CTRL/SHIFT/ALT), symmetry enabling/disabling, & undo. Moving those away from the keyboard and onto the tablet speed up your workflow a lot. A good “one size fits all” GUI layout is hard to come by, as your needs will constantly change. Best to speed up the parts of your workflow that are constant through out.

my pen buttons are undo & redo

on the left side I assign Alt, Ctrl, Shift, and Ctrl+Shift to the express keys and [] for brush size to the thumb strip

on the right side I have next song, previous song, pause, and thumbstrip volume for winamp :stuck_out_tongue:

for everything else I just click through the interface or reach for the Numpad to assign a value on occassion… hardly have to touch the keyboard in most situations

Seems fairly straightforward. I’ll get to configuring my pen and wacom buttons now. So used to using W, E, R, and G in Maya :stuck_out_tongue:

Anybody else care to share their setups?

I am just about used to using my new wacom tablet, I’m in the process of setting up buttons now that I can use it, I wiil leave the left keys, but would like to assign zoom to the left strip and some tools to the right buttons like ClayTubes, Move, Standard and Rakes to the right, with brush size to the right strip. I have’nt figured out how to do that yet.

I always found multiple Undo’s a pain, like when I want to undo a chain of brush strokes - CtrlZ,CtrlZ,CtrlZ… or pushbuttonpushbuttonpushbutton…

Now I have an Intuos4 I set Undo/Redo to the scroll wheel and can just wind them back. I’m still figuring out the best setup for the buttons, but it’s nice to have one-button solutions for the ZB combos like Ctrl-Shift.

Hey guys… great thread. I’ve set up my Intuos 3 with the setup recommended by SalmonGod and it works great!

One other thing I’ve found useful is to add the most commonly used brushes (for me: STANDARD, MOVE, INFLATE, FLATTEN) to the keypad on the right.

There is however a few other tools that I use frequently that would be good to be able to map to the thumb slider on the right, like the Z Intensity. Anyone know what the Z Intensity slider hot keys might be?? :stuck_out_tongue: