Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Hey Matt,
    Just paint out the glow and then plug it into incandescence. It will work OK. It looks better in UED3 than in Mental Ray. The hardware render is nice b/c the model is for real time. Using mental ray seemed a bit like overkill, though some GI or FG would add richness. Hey! Congrats on your internship and Good luck!
    "I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste." -Marcel Duchamp

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

thanks matt! i am working on some warcraft-esqe (non zbrush) low poly weapons/shields, and wanted some mystical glows on them.

also: do you think (since you are my teacher and all) you could type up a little tutorial on baking normal maps in maya? i have notes on it from gnomon, but i think i missed a key step, because i cannot get it to work. i could really use some help on it, its getting aggrivating. shoot it to my email or something if you want to. thanks!
    ------------------------
    -Matthew Dale
    My Sculpting Adventures
    My Digital Art Blog

------------------------

Sure, no prob. BTW, I just DL'd the eat 3d vid Intro to Max. The guy that made the vids is autodesk certified. I just unzipped them and the lesosns look really good. Might help with your internship.... I will get you a tutorial for the normal maps. There is one in the games issue of 3D world magazine. I just let Elliott borrow it. I'll give you a fresh one.
    "I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste." -Marcel Duchamp

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

Default update

Made some progress on the female today.
    darker-warrior.jpg

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

CrimsonguardMask.jpg
    CrimsonGuardNomask.jpg

Here is a character I am working on for my protfolio. He is also being made as a custom character mod for UT3. I kinda picked the red and then decided he looks very similar to a crimson guardsman from cobra.
    I want to have a record of him all shiny and new looking before I beat up the armor. I modeled the base around the UT3 male rig in max and now I am sculpting and polypainting. More to come soon!

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

Default update

Here is an update of my UT3 character. Thanks for looking!
    update2.jpg
    Crimupdate1.jpg

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

Default Grungy Update

Here is an update. I added some scratches and grime. I think the design of the boots could use some more attention.
    grungyupdate.jpg

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

Default updateagain

Here is a closeup of the face and an image with helmet/goggle/mask variants.
    updatemasks.jpg
    facecloseup1.jpg

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

Hi Fluxist
    You would really benifit from the video tutorial in the ZClassroom on the Pixologic site .... *Link Here*

The video is Baking Mat Cap Materials to Textures by Joseph Drust. I really recommend going through it and writing down as many of the steps as you can and applying it to this model. Is this model manually UV'ed?

I really like your toad on Page 2. The texture gives it a lot of variation.

*Edit* You posted the previous pictures before I finished writing this post! The textures are much improved !

Upham
    Last edited by upham; 07-08-09 at 03:14 PM.
    Upham's ZLand! ZBrush For Newbies!
    http://zbrush.cjb.net/

thanks Upham! I appreciate the feedback. Baking the matcap into the texture is pretty sweet. If you take that texture with the matcap baked in, you can get a pretty nice spec from it in crazy bump. Yes, I unwrapped the UVS in Maya with the Roadkill plugin. I haven't imported the UVS yet though.
    thanks again!
    Last edited by fluxist8070; 07-08-09 at 04:22 PM.

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

I think I am finished with the polypaint and ready to make some maps.

alltextured2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alltextured.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	148077  
    Last edited by fluxist8070; 07-08-09 at 09:04 PM.

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

Member Follow User Gallery

Nice Suit.

Member Follow User Gallery

Thumbs up Nice!

Nice Character Creation! I want to see his face. may be scary. like this or . Awesome Concept sketches and website.

Question

Here are the maps and some harware renders from Maya. I baked the matcaps into the all the textures except for the body, but he is not as shiny as he is in the ZBrush renders. I think it is the spec map The UVS follow the template for UV's in Unreal. I made the spec maps with crazy bump and at this point I am thinking that I should make them again. Right now, the base is 5416 tris. I think this is the lowest polygon humanoid I have ever made!
    texturesheet.jpg
    NormalMapped.jpg
    Hardwarerender.jpg

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

Default Ut3

Well, I put the character into UT3 today. This is my second try at the custom character mod and I finally got it right! woohoo! Pretty happy overall, but I was not able to use the matcap capture in the textures to the fullest extent because of some UV/roadkill issues. Overall, not too shabby.

UT3screens.jpg

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast