ZBrushCentral

ZBrushCentral Interview: Epic Games - Gears of War 2

[attach=120491]Banner[/attach]

[Epic Games](http://www.epicgames.com/), based out of Cary, North Carolina first released Unreal ten years ago. Since then, it has been a wild ride for the game company, which has not only released several sequel games but has also licensed the Unreal engine and so became the driving force behind many of the most popular and successful games ever released. More recently, Epic Games published the wildly popular Gears of War title. It was so successful that IGN awarded them "Best Developer for Xbox 360", while the Official Xbox Magazine named them "Best Developer of the Year" and "Best Studio of the Year". Spike TV also named them "Best Studio". It should come as no surprise, then, that Epic Games followed up with a sequel. [Gears of War 2](http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/AgeGate.htm) launched on November 7. IGN has given this game a 9.5 rating of "Incredible" – higher even than the first game’s 9.4 "Outstanding" rating. Now anyone who knows anything about Epic Games also knows that they are notoriously hard to squeeze information from. They rarely grant interviews, and WIP screenshots are only slightly more common than sasquatch sightings. It is therefore with great pleasure that we bring you this interview with Art Director Chris Perna and his team. Not only have they shared some outstanding insights regarding how they’ve used ZBrush for this project, but they also backed it all up with over 100 images! So brew up a fresh pot of coffee and settle in for a great read.
[Click Here for the Interview](http://www.pixologic.com/interview/epic/1/)

Here are a few of the MANY screenshots that are found in the interview. Click each for the high resolution version.

[attach=120256]Perna[/attach]
[attach=120257]Lanning[/attach]
[attach=120258]Johnstone[/attach]
[attach=120259]Ellis[/attach]
[attach=120260]Caudle[/attach]
[attach=120261]Wells[/attach]
[attach=120262]Morgan[/attach]
[attach=120263]Hayes[/attach]

Many thanks to Chris Perna and his team for taking the time to share so much with us about their work on Gears of War 2! And a big thank you also to [color=Orange]Epic Games for granting permission!

Use this thread to discuss Epic’s Gears of War 2 artwork!

Be sure to also check out our many past interviews, which can be found in the ZBrush Artist Interviews forum.

[attach=119997]icon[/attach]

Attachments

icon.jpg

Perna.jpg

Lanning.jpg

Johnstone.jpg

Ellis.jpg

Caudle.jpg

Wells.jpg

Morgan.jpg

Hayes.jpg

Banner3.jpg

Hats off to you! Hope 2009 is another step forward, good luck.

So cool. Thanks for the interview and images. It was really good to read.

Very Nice…:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

I know I may be a bit obsessed, but I thoroughly enjoy the ‘pride’ I get out of being the only one of my friends who can correctly identify what software a game or film was using. :smiley:

What’s up Chris nice to see ya up here! Killer work as always!! :+1: :+1: :+1: :sunglasses:

amazing interview, really hard style to follow!
congrats to all involved!

:+1:

Phenomenal work you guys do! Loved the readings and the screens. Game is a blast =) Good Luck to you guys and congrats!

I’m a great fan of both the first and second GoW games. It’s just awesome to see the models up close like that. That’s such a great inspiration… :+1: :+1:

Purely phenominal work–the art in the game is absolutely stunning!

Amazing what a totally inspirational interview, thanks Epic and ZBrushCentral and all the artists who made such an Awsome game.

Chris Wells talked about using subtools for getting round the polycount, what is the polycount for a character (ball park) for the Unreal Engine.

Its interesting reading everyones fav tools in ZBrush, and how they achieve their desired result.

This is so amazing! what a treat!

That was a bomb… :+1:

Excellent interview :+1: :+1: Thank you so much…

thanks alot for the interview ! just great !

Very interesting interview and truly inspirational! Hats off!

Thanks Pixologic and Epic, for the look at Gears. The artist’s on that team are truly an inspiration. Outstanding work! :smiley: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

excellent interview! :+1:
i’m off to get gears of war 2 for my 360 just to look at the artwork in the game! :smiley:

epic is amazing
But still can’t stand the idea that they will not give Gears 2 to the PC community.
And left the modding community to rot as well.
Amazing artwork though

Great job (pat on the back to the artists)
To the owner well I wont say.

a thousand thanks for the interview :+1: :+1: :+1: all the artists are truly inspiring

great job guys the game is absolutely awsome :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:
you are my heroes :smiley:

Thanks epic and pixologic for the interview and thanks to all of the artists

David