Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Hey man - lookin good... I could be wrong - however from the pics with the new pose - his leg proportion looks a bit funny to me... like it's been elongated on the thigh a bit? The chest also looks a little strange... doesn't seem to have the same nice volume u had from before...

On a personal note - i liked this pose (quoted below) better... I think it had a nice balance and motion to it... also looked more like a striking pose!

Anyways - looking forward to ur updates! Keep it up!
    -T

Quote Originally Posted by jp_smith
    stickytom, I tried your suggestion with the opposite leg up, here it is. markrulz, yeah I thought it was a great suggestion. Either of these look pretty decent I think, but it's up to Yong.

mantis_pose5.jpg
    Thaddeus M Maharaj
    3D Character Artist

www.thechindian.com
    My Sculpting WIP Thread

Default Mantis Man Test Pose #5

threetails:
    Thank you man, I like this pose...and like the other new poses too.. I'll need your vote once the pose lineup is ready And I do like Bronze materials...most of my models I do try out with this mat.

jp_smith:

You are right, JP-smith. It does look prancy..but I still like it... Hmmm let's see the entire pose lineup and I'll need your keen eyes once again

pitchepuck:

Thank you mate, Yes I do agree too...Hmm

spimmy:
    Thank you for your kind compliment...

Gohanf22:
    Thanks man. Don't feel sorry man...The best you can do is pick up the pen tablet and brush away..

Trurl:

Thank you. Glad you like the adjusted pose.

Nattawat_OBBI:
    Very happy you like the new adjustments kub

dustbin1_uk:

Glad to see you again, dustbin1_uk! Glad you like my pose attempts...Been having loads of fun with Transpose

jempix:

Thank you...I was also worry about what you stated...but for its purpose..it might be all right...Will revisit the base more soon though.. Thank you so much.

chindian:
    Thanks for the comment, chindian I've altered the pose a bit can you check it out below? with the transpose vid.

Daily (Night) Update:

Today I rushed home early to do the transpose session. The pose suggestion was mainly by markrulz and JP-Smith. I'm so overwhelmed and really thankful for those who have contribute to the pose suggestions and all.

This is the result so far.

progress_089.jpg

progress_090.jpg

The Transpose Vid:

Last edited by SolidSnakexxx; 01-23-09 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Video alteration

looking good buddy. very nice indeed. i know what you mean bud but im the kind of person that is the nicest person in the world and when they make a mistake like this, will make them feel bad for awhile until something is done to make it better. i will not forgive myself.
    "To see a world in a grain of sand..." -William Blake

Thumbs up

That looks great!
    I really like the concept.

the hip joint is still too high. thatīs because the upper leg is still too long

I must admit that I liked more previous pose. It was more agresive, I had a felling that he will cut my head off for a while, and now (in my opinion) he looks like he whould want to take somthing from the ground and pick it up...
    Don't get me wrong, I just prefer previous pose

sorry I'm in a rush...Hey Looking great! I have two comment if you jump off a rock you jump off the end not the middle, and I think JP's comment is a valid one. Here I attached a pic to describe my words. Sorry I'm not trying to be rude I just have to go now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mantis_pose.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	123958  

Yong something to think about in the future, I wouldn't model the legs so close together...it was a pain in the ass to select one of your legs for posing.

I think the earlier pose where the pincer was in the gesture of the insect was much better.

The reason why in imo is that it has the illusion that mantis man is coming from above, plus the gesture of the hand on the original pose is better too. It has a stronger sense of excitement. This new pose does not have as much identity in it.

My 2 cents....I hope it helps!
    "I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste." -Marcel Duchamp

www.mattboard.com

CGS Portfolio

New WIPS

These poses really dont represent the back story at all. Its MORE than just a pose. I would create a storyline of him taking revenge on the people that murdered his family and he is about to strike down the one who ordered the hit on him and his family. Or the moment of retribution after his revenge is complete. These poses are just too commonplace for such a unique character. It seems he is just skipping through instead of charging through with rage. If someone killed everyone that you loved and cared for and tried to kill you what would you do? Leap off a rock? No. You would have blood on your hands. Hatred and wishes of death to your enemies. Slicing up anyone that stands in your way until you have had revenge. Sweet sweet revenge.

Just something to keep in mind.
    A man is solely restricted by his own words.

ZBrush Sketchpad - Here
    Free Male Hero Ztool

you need to mix the poses. i like the other one because it was more aggressive. the only thing i didnt like about the other one was that he was leading with the claw. if he was attacking, youd think hed have his claw behind him, getting ready to swing it. i also like the hand in the old pose, it was more expressive. cant wait to see the final one
    Last edited by luis2008; 01-23-09 at 08:48 AM.

Hey SolidSnakexxx, I have to agree with DAnconia. I would suggest trying to imagine yourself as mantisman, how would you move, what is his attitude. I would not worry to much about the pose being super dramatic. I would rather see you really capture the essence of mantisman.

Smile

Hi SolidSnakexxx. The new pose is looking good, these are the only suggestions I can make on it:Mantis_New_Pose.jpg

Man I have been silently following your awesome endeavor for quite some time and I am so impressed by your dedication and skill! Keep it up man. I really like the new pose as well. The arm makes sense from a physiological stand point, but just feels awkward because I don't think we're used to seeing half man half mantis guys walking around 5th avenue.

Red face Late Night Pondering

Gohanf22:
    Thanks man. Glad you like it.. BTW, don't press yourself too hard, Gohanf22. Life 's good and is even better with friends. I'm certain that even you may have offended people unintentionally, they will forgive you.. You will also need to learn to forgive yourself. And simply have fun.

sadicus:

Thank you so much. I've been excited about this project since the initiation, from conceptualize, zsphere, and now onto the poses.

pitchepuck:

I see what you mean, pitchepuck. I think I know what direction I'm going now..thanks man.

bryzol:
    Hey there, bryzol. I also like the previous pose more simply because it seems more aggressive..I'll work and refine on that one some more. Hopefully I can distill the result by this weekend..(It's Chinese New Year and got loads of things to do....)

Hamilcar:
    I'm really grateful you took time to create the paint over even when you have little time. I think yours and JP comments are really valid and i'll definitely address this issue. thanks, man. I'm so overwhelm by the assistance I've gotten at this place!

jp_smith:

You are absolutely right, jp_smith. The legs are too close together.....If I were to paint mask it's real difficult That's something I have learned and will apply to my next project. Thanks for the wisdom tip

fluxist8070:

I also do agree with you. I think I'm quite please that I have a few transpose sessions and poses to chose from. Your comments are greatly appreciated!

DAnconia:
    You are absolutely right, DAnconia. The previous pose I did, I was envision myself as Mantis Man and I could relate to him more. Very good technique for finding pose indeed, thank you so much

luis2008:

Thank you for the good crit.. I'll definitely take in and do the process and most likely will pose myself and have my girlfriend take a sanp shot at me...Don't worry I won't post the pics up to destroy you guys' eye sight But very valid crits.. Love it to have extra pairs of eye helping out.

Harmonic:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do just that... I'll pretend to bethe Mantis Man for a day tomorrow...heheheh

Etcher:
    I see what you mean, Etcher. And it does look better with the paint over you did. Will adjust that...Thank you so much.

Firerbert:

Thank you, Firerbert.... I haven't imagine him going to toilet just yet.....But be certain..I won't pose that action

Late Night Pondering:

I've been pandering and planning out my next moves...as I've done a few bits of transpose....while it's fun I need to move on now...So some plans have changed here are what I'm going to do:

1. Complete and refine current poses (4 poses) and will post up for comments and voting

2. Once the pose have been selected, I'll further refine on the modeling (Most likely a few retop in the groin area) Including the micro details of the entire body. and then

3. Do the texture of the model. This time around it would be perfect to apply high frequency texture to it.
    For now, a special someone would like to say something to you all:

thankyou.jpg