You are a necromancer man. Raising the dead. Good to be back.

Well.. back when we started this.. what is it.. 3-4 years ago now? I'd say not very many of the retail figures you saw in the shop were digital and 3d printed. I'd say less than 5% back then. Of the digital things you'd mostly saw robotic stuff (gundam) or a few of those designer Vinyl models that might have been made on CNC. Or stuff from Gentle Giant (they were really pushing the envelope back then and still are! ). Just naming a few. I know Adam and Joe and everyone did a lot of pioneering work with 3d printing in sculpture and toys as it relates to Zbrush.

And as zbrush got better and better, I'd say roughly 15% of the statue/toy retail products you see now are digitally made and 3d printed. With the trend fast moving towards more and more digital + 3d print. I'm guessing it'll hit 40% in the next 2-5 years. It's a little scary for the traditional guys because it means they have to learn new things, but its also exciting all the possibilities that ZBrush and digital sculpting opens up. The cool thing about digital sculpting and 3d printing is that it really lowers the barrier to entry for producers. It's not just the big guys putting stuff out now, but hundreds of smaller producers who all have new ideas and new visions. It's kinda cool. That's what innovation and technology does in this new age, it brings producers and consumers closer together. The super consumers themselves eventually becomes producers. I always use as an example how those street girls in Shibuya are super consumers of fashion.. but they're also producers in the sense they produce a look and set the new trend. Sites like kickstarter are pushing this new model of business forward even faster. It's pretty cool.. circle of life! haha..

Ok.. back to your question. Mm.. some of those in the shop are 3d printed, but only the first master copy. The rest are all moulded and cast in resin. No one would sell the 3d print in retail. Because the thing is worth it's weight in gold haha. You might see a painted 3d print in a museum or gallery though. Generally you make the 3d print, then cast copies from the 3d print to mock up the Paint Master (colored prototype). Then you give the thumbs up and more copies are made from the 3d print and painted as part of the limited/mass production. Although sometimes we are commissioned to do one-off painted 3d prints for a collector or movie studio. I generally don't recommend painting the 3d print because it closes a lot of doors for copies later. You'll likely mess up the paint job if you try to mould over it later.

Yah we do statue lines and toy lines (we don't say yes to everything tho, we're a lil' picky). Mm.. it really depends on what you want to do and what vision and skills you have. If you're a 3d artist.. then typically the concepting and sculpting phase is easy to get done without outside help (unless it involved articulation). The rest is the "business stuff." Can you move/sell X amount of product? How much is the 3d print, production, shipping going to cost you? How much will you have to sell the final product for? Who's going to buy it and how you plan on retailing? For smaller productions, Ownage does the worldwide individual shipping and customer service to your buyers for you. But for larger amounts, you'll have to think about large-scale distribution. Whether to go through a channel distributor like Sideshow, Diamond, PBM, DKE. Or through a distribution service like Shipwire, Amazon Fulfillments, and stuff like that. Or maybe just set up sales at your local comic shop. Sometimes thats all it takes X-D. Kinda like how Newbury Comics started small in the UK 20 years ago. Nowadays, more and more people get their stuff presold thru Kickstarter. This also helps to pay for the actual production~ You see what Josh Harker did with his Crania Anatomica thingee? $70-80k in sales, although that was entirely 3d printed and produced by Shapeways.. not us. Feel free to email us at support@ownage.com if you need consulting. Happy to chat with anyone. Haha, I should really update the website so you guys can help yourselves. But soo busy.... X-D. It's turned into this damned if we do, damned if we don't kinda thing. haha.. its gonna get updated. just want the update to be a functional update, not a marketing one. which means i have to do a lot of it. i know.. excuses!!!

Ok.. I guess I have to post a pic or something before running away. Since this post is about busts.. here's a cool bust!

Indie Print Blizzard Artist Dominic Qwek Cornelius Alien Bust He'll be selling a kit version of this soon.. for those interested you should hit him up about it (http://www.dominicqwek.com/)! Support your fellow 3d artists!

Ownage - a ZBrush 3D Printing Service

Feel like I owe it to you guys to keep posting stuff. Sry people who are waiting on your stuff!

Anyhow.. being that it's monday and I got permission from Aaron to share this with you guys. Here's a small production that we finished a couple weeks back for The Aaron Sims Company. Thanks also to Jaime from Pixo!

Industry RL7 Archetype Robot The Aaron Sims Company Zbrushed by PSTCHOART (Tsvetomir Georgiev?)

Also shipped some casts for Dominic.. grab them now from him while you can (previous post). not ur run of the mill smooth-on resins

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Insane New works Des,the last Mech Print is Crazy...
    --------------------------------------

Mohammad Modarres

Website

Blog

ZBcentral sketchbook

New Member Follow User Gallery

i have been lurking reading this post for awhile now ...close to a year, finally decided to post..
    anyway i am looking to get a 3dprint for a toy concept i have done..so basically
    the reason for this post is to find talented zbrush artist i can commission to develop
    my idea into a zbrush model..so i can get ownage to make a 3dprint of it...so i can shop my
    idea for feasibilty..desmoda if you able to help give a shout as well but i will definately contact
    you once i get my zbrush model done.

if you interested please pm
    i have just joined the forum so as to get this idea of the ground

No worries. Man.. I can't even count on 2 dozen hands how many great people and artists are in this community. I'm sure someone will jump to your aid. It's just nuts. As a commissioner, I can say that if you have something really really specific you want to get made, that is good (but it helps to have concept art for sculptor to follow). If you leave the project open ended.. its also very good, lets the sculptor show his talent and not get wrapped up in revisions. The worst is probably being picky, but not really knowing what you want. Haha. It's hard to help then because its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Here's another cool piece done by Dominic Qwek~ I'll try to show more industry work later. I just dont like posting that kinda work when we are so backlogged. People want me to finish stuff!

Last edited by desmoda; 06-20-12 at 07:57 PM.

Member Follow User Gallery

Default Hey Desmoda, great work!

So I've been planning on doing a toy line one day for a book I wanna do one day, but I'm not sure what route I should take. If I only wanted to do small runs of action figures or action figure sized statues who would you go about starting? I want to make these statues affordable to everyone so if I could keep the price point as low as possible that would be great. I'm really not sure where I should go after the 3d model is created, so I figure I ask an expert in this field. All the info you have related to his would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Hey Dennis, we can do the low run manufacturing for you.. just tell us how many u want, painted or unpainted, etc.

As for low run numbers. Statues tend to sell based on size and intricacy. There tends to be a different market price for busts, statues, anime figures, plastic action figures, etc. Another big factor is how many you plan on selling in total. If you market something as "only 3 will ever be made".. then you can fetch a much higher price for them. But if you plan to keep producing them over time (we call this open edition).. then people expect you to charge a fair market price based on size, quality, desirability and rarity.

I think, one bad thing to do is having the mindset that you must make money on every piece right from the get-go. Development costs for a real life product are high.. concept art, 3d sculpting, 3d printing, paint design, production, packaging, etc. If you go about planning on making it big or quitting your job on selling 10 copies, lol.. its not impossible, although it would be really hard. I think if you have a book/comic/video game. The sales from statues are much less than 1% of your total income. But the statues are really a fan-base/brand multiplier. It's something that your diehard fans will want to get a hold of.. to have something physical, possibly tasteful to declare their love for your work. And that in itself, while it may not be pure hard cash, is a type of glue that holds your universe together.. and is probably worth much more than 1%. So its a factor you have to take into account when setting retail prices and estimating the lifespan of the product line.

And yeah, it costs less to make more, costs more to make less. Assembly line -> Affordable. Custom oneoffs -> Expensive. It's a fact of life
    Last edited by desmoda; 09-11-12 at 09:52 PM.

Member Follow User Gallery

Default Hi Desmoda

Hey Desmoda, thanks so much for the quick response! That's very useful information! That definitely helps me figure out exactly how I wanna go about making these figures. Do you have a email address where I can speak with you directly? I would love to give you more details and see what you suggest. Thanks again for the help!

lol, yah.. email us at support@ownage.com. I tend to answer all emails anyway, just prefer not to give my non-screened email out on a public forum.

Default 3D Prints

Thanks for your generous offer.

Peter Pan was a highly popular cartoon character who children the world
    over adored find cheap flights or try
    to find cheap flights online. Everyone wants to find cheap airline tickets whenever possible or find cheap airline tickets offline very cheap. People of all walks are searching for cheap air travel discount
    everyw get cheap air travel discount for a lot less. Some Flyers conduct cheap flight search on a regular basis.
    Others do cheap flight search less who fly try their best to locate cheap airfare deal anywhere while others
    do less to find cheap airfare deal online or offline. The airlines are constantly offering cheap plane tickets while travel sites
    also provide cheap plane tickets to the public. Most people overweight want to know how to lose weight fast in order to weight
    loss in no time they want detox diets for weight loss see theannon. Gamers
    free online games count in. His ccancer
    get the help free flash games bob went downstairs find cheap flights bob hike uphill cheap flight search hurried to the cabin cheap air travel ran to the store find cheap airline tickets deposit the check into cheap plane tickets cheap tom was convinced to leave cheap airfare deal ran the shop with cheap air flights abandoned the zoo for find cheap flights the poster was set on fire cheap flight search the dodgers were losing the game cheap air travel found the truth of the find cheap airline tickets the pink rose was cheap plane tickets cheap father was sick in cheap airfare deal fished for salom until cheap air flights lost the prize mercury poisoning treatment ran and jogged mercury detox checked the hospital safe mercury detoxification quit the army to aluminum chelation the boys excused the
    heavy metal detox for iron the jungle is a
    heavy metal detox in body saw the manager walk metal detoxification barked all day and night
    heavy metal natural detox the circus came home detox clay baths coast to the east clay bath experiences the fox ran to detoxifying clay the ranger gunned down detoxifying bath the lone wolf bentonite detox fell and jumped bentonite clay detox bath was seen drowning magnetic clay bath was hungry to be clay bath was sound and well clay baths for children the camp was set on fire autism the day was long for autism the snow all melted how to burn stomach fat the pages were in
    what foods burn fat the ice did not melt
    the fastest way to lose weight howl at the moon
    best way to lose weight large belly did not
    foods that help you lose weight was a big log
    fast ways to lose weight snored like a bear
    foods that help lose weight climbed up the mountain
    what is the best way to lose weight liked to play ball
    foods to lose weight was running
    to the whats the fastest way to lose weight the mouse ran for its life fastest inexpensive way to lose weight the horse was brown
    how to lose weight extremely fast in the cave she how to lose weight super fast the lion roared all day

mercury poisoning treatment mercury detox natural
    safe mercury detoxification
    lead poisoning antidote treatment
    cancer treatment cancer treatments
    adult autism
    treatment autism treatments autism cure autism how to cure autism how to treat autism
    Reply With QuoteReply to Thread

Default still printing?

I'm just wondering are you still printing?

If so, what are the costs?

If not, where else can I get something printed?

Quote Originally Posted by Medicinehorse7 View Post
    I'm just wondering are you still printing?

If so, what are the costs?

If not, where else can I get something printed?

Still printing, just not actively advertising or doing promotion at the moment. Hit us up at support@ownage.com and can see if we can help you make physical art from Zbrush. Or just chat.

Default Hope you're still printing

Hope you're still printing! I just sent you an email regarding an Ironman mask!!

Quote Originally Posted by vinnypolston View Post
    Hope you're still printing! I just sent you an email regarding an Ironman mask!!
    Yah do that one on a makerbot replicator or something. It's too expensive for a halloween oneoff to do it as a fineart piece. Printing on makerbot wouldn't cost u more than a couple hundred bucks or so if u did it on someone elses machines. Then sand it flat and do a little bit of fiberglass and resin brushing and sanding to smooth it down. Gesso/bondo the surface if u want (unnecessary really.. u might wind up with hairline fractures later). Then paint it up. This thing has no detail so its doable on a makerbot. Shapeways would be too expensive tho. We're probably in line with shapeways or slightly more but yeah.. makerbot first. A lot of people just melt PLA/styrene sheets. Or coat cardboard with fiberglass to pull off these ironman suits. Its not worth the like.. $30k+ it would cost to prototype the entire suit when u can make it out of $20 of cardboard and $100 in resin and fiberglass to just craft it by hand.

cheers

Oh yah.. u guys can buy this limited edition from Eat3D. Sculpted by Michael Pavlovich I think. I dont think there are many of the cold cast bronze though. Only made a few of those.

Last edited by desmoda; 10-31-12 at 09:59 PM.

Default ownage rocks!

just wanted to say that dealing with ownage and Desmoda is a treat and the quality is simply unmatched !

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 ... LastLast