ZBrushCentral

Halloween Challenge 2008 Thomas Ingham

I’ve been playing with something I’m calling “Dislocated” that I figure might fit with the theme.

This is the first sketch where I’m basically figuring out what doing it the wrong way means. This mesh resolution is already way too high for the detail that I’m showing and for some reason I can’t get it to project to new topology. The basic concept is a guy that’s had his lower jaw ripped off. Maybe some of the throat as well, in a bust or similar presentation.

dislocated-01.jpg

I am still having trouble with ears in general and I’m really trying to get it right on this piece. I’ve been working through Ryan Kingslien’s tutorials on human anatomy and the female bust so I’ve got the proper source material; just need to put it into practice here.

Already making good progress (that took a lot less time than I thought it would) redoing the concept as a bust. I’m already 200% happier with where this one is going than the previous one. Size isn’t much of a problem in this either because I started a mesh in modo to bring in here.

I’ve UV’d it as is and stored a morph map; going to try and pipeline this thing when I’m done because I don’t think I’ll have time to learn all the nuances of polypainting.

dislocated-02.jpg

Stylistically I kind of like the renderer a lot though… who knows.

Hey coalmarchtom,

Looking good. I think the first image suits the jaw being ripped off a little more then the second because the cheeks and skin etc flap a bit more like they were torn, where as the new one looks more like it has been cut out. Are you going to add the gooey throat and blood and gore etc?

XSI Apprentice,

Thanks a lot for checking out my thread and taking a moment to comment. I agree that the first was more evocative and my plan was to work some of the same stuff back into the newest. I didn’t have as much time as I’d hoped tonight (mac zbrush is acting really strangely) but I did manage to get this far.

dislocated-03.jpg

The tearing is much more prevalent, I’ve gashed the throat a bit more and added teeth. It’s amazing how much more visceral it feels with those teeth in there. Ultimately I’m thinking about a full figure pose now that I’m seeing how quickly I can realize what’s in my brain. I’ll probably be posting some 2d sketches next.

Thanks again,

Thomas

Just an update; learning more tools like extraction and stuff.

dislocated-04.jpg

this should look cool painted.

By popular (sic.) demand; my first whack at coloring something.

dislocated-05.jpg

Would love some critique; no idea what I’m doing.

Your making good progress with this piece. I think it’s to clean though…it needs blood, and alot of it at that.

Is there an easy way to put some treatment on a separate layer so that I don’t have to undo everything to get back to clean. I’m finding that I’m really hesitant to make bold moves because I don’t understand that part of the workflow at all.

hey no problems. its looking good. Just another thought, he has had his jaw ripped off, something that may add to the look is having some loose skin at his throat dangling, like it has just been torn. I think this would look good and add to the gore factor. the poly painting is coming along nice. for reference check out scott spencer. he is awesome, he has a quick vid out how he paints and also wrote an awesome book. check it out, amazon has good prices.

for tips on the layers etc, you need to unmask/unhide everything, then go to the 3d layers pallet, create new layer, then start sculpting :), you can dial the effects up or down or turn them off. its handy. i would recommend saving a backup of the model first before trying things, i like to keep backups, i usually have one for every stage i work at.

hope this helps :slight_smile:

Save often…and include separate backups just in case.

XSI: Thanks for the pointers; works flawlessly. Convert to 3d is fantastic as well.

Sirquad: Quicksave is god.

And now for your harrowment, all the blood I can muster for this evening.

dislocated-06.jpg

And a bit of gore here and there for those of you relishing in the terror… :stuck_out_tongue:

i think this is the most goriest thing Ive seen on this site lol…

Is there a way to mask shaders more effectively? I notice that it pretty much paints 1 bit masks but it would stand to reason that this limit is more about the tool’s resolution than the sculpt (at least from the other aspects of the software.)

I won’t be surprised to find out it’s not possible with polypaint; however this will not diminish my sense of wonder.

:slight_smile:

dislocated-09.jpg

So it seems as though I should do some post work on this; I know that the flaps of skin should flop down a bit but with the subtools on there (poor planning) I think I’m going to leave it.

As far as it’s value as an entry in the halloween challenge; I think that this one plays heavily on the gore factor like some old really tasty slasher movie.

I’m happy where it ended up and I’m open to suggestion but I’m excited to move on to something else now. If anyone sees anything really obvious please don’t hesitate to point it out and I’ll take another crack at it. ZBrush is getting kind of unstable at this point on my iMac. I need to get another gig of ram I think.

8 mil polys, seven subtools.

Après mois.

woah, 8 mill polys, thats bigish, i think my sys can get to 7 :frowning: haha.

the gore factor is definitely up there. with the subtools, what do you mean? which parts? i can imagine the teeth, but what else? for the skin flaps you could just move and rotate them around then sculpt it so it flows better. I think maybe change the lighting to a more dramatic feel, eg csi etc. also add a bg, maybe a tiled floor and blur is for dof.

loving the entry :slight_smile:

looks good, however i would make the flesh from the bottom of the jaw drop not rigged and stiff, this would give it more of a realism effect.

What a jaw-dropping image! :wink:

People generally render out multiple versions of their image, each with a different material applied to the whole model. These versions are then cut away to where they’re needed in a layers-supporting package, like Photoshop. This allows for blended materials and soft transitions from one to another.

Cheers,

R