ZBrushCentral

Mephisto alternate paint version for Bowen Designs

Here’s a piece I did for Randy Bowen…digitally sculpted, rp’d, then cast in resin.
Posted some of these here before…

[attach=108512]mephisto.jpg[/attach]

DSCN1670.jpg
[attach=108514]DSCN1627.jpg[/attach]
[attach=108515]DSCN1628.jpg[/attach]

[attach=108516]mephisto-1.jpg[/attach]
[attach=108517]mephisto18.jpg[/attach]
[attach=108518]ieq8so.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

mephisto.jpg

DSCN1627.jpg

DSCN1628.jpg

mephisto-1.jpg

mephisto18.jpg

ieq8so.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Wow that is just a beautiful progression. Great inspiration to finish my projects. Can you go into the types of paints you used for the 3D Print? Was it by hand, airbrush or printed on?

Thanks so much. ZBRUSH ROCKS!!

I’ve always appreciated the sculpt, now I can appreciate the hot rod red paint job. Nice work Joe.

Thanks, Brandon!

I am sorry I didn’t say that this piece was painted by Danno…an amazing painter who does a lot of work for Randy as far as I can tell…he is incredible.

For those interested in this kind of stuff check out these sites…

http://www.statueforum.com/index.php

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/forumdisplay.php?f=27

and my buds the Shiflett Brothers…they rock…and are also from Texas, DAnconia!

http://www.shiflettbrothers.com/forum/index.cfm

hey joseph!

think i got some of your pics/work in my ref folder at home. really nice work.
and now paintjob.
can’t wait to see your next piece. be sure to post it here aswell.

-r

Hey looks great,
what was the final poly count on the model ?
how big was the STL that was fabricated?

thanks.
tsw

Off the top of my head, can’t remember…of bigger concern was the dimensions of envelope of the build platform and what type process to use for what parts…perfactory for the head, objet for the throne, etc…also I had to strategically cut the 12 inch model into multiple smaller parts to fit the windows of the various rp machines that were used…some have very small platforms…other are bigger. I wanted maximum detail with minimum reworking to insure that onscreen approvals correctly anticipated the actual piece when finished. I decimate all of my files accordingly…usually ask the rp vendor what their optimum file size is and decimate to that target. The biggest problem in doing rp work at this point in time is the cost but that’s coming down as time rolls by…

Nice sculpt Joseph! :slight_smile:
And the 3D print is awesome!

yeah cost is the issue. luckly I do small things and I own a mill so I try to design everything to be milled out. what do you use to decimate. that is always my biggest problem.

tsw

Rock on man. the finished piece looks great. I’m very interested in the process, there are a few models i would love to get fabricated like this one. how do you cut it into peaces, do you do that in zbrush or later when casting it.

great stuff

Very nice work. :+1:

I use FreeForm for decimation but here’s a great mesh thinning tool with multiple decimation algorythms…all very cool…worth playing around with…

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

also can be used to convert .obj’s to .stl’s which is essential for rp output…

For creating models for rp and or manufacturable output, FreeForm is a great tool for generating water-tight files…you can dice and slice any way you need…the same could be done by strategically building your sub d models in maya or whatever and then zbrushing…just make sure your mating surfaces stay intact or you will have A LOT of hand work to do which kind of defeats the purpose…I like to hand finish stuff anyway…but the fun, finishing stuff…not the pain in the rear engineering stuff…best to take care of that in software…

Thanks for all comments!

Alternate paint version…

[attach=108906]mephisto2.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

mephisto2.jpg

Damn Joe.
This is fantastic work!
Good on you man.
Cheers
Cesar Dacol Jr.
Aka, The Voodoo Monkey
<input id=“gwProxy” type=“hidden”><!–Session data–><input onclick=“jsCall();” id=“jsProxy” type=“hidden”>

Did’nt see these the first time around, really cool to see the physical pieces seperate, thanks. Big John would be impressed.

Wait, the ALTERNATE paint version is the good one? I mean that one looks like mephisto, the other one looks like he’s trying to be Iron Man!

That has little to do with your amazing work… I can’t believe how perfectly you did Mephisto. It’s just perfect. It is Mephisto. Well Buscema really made the Mephisto look and you nailed Buscema’s style in 3D form… it’s just perfect.

I’m amazed. You have the talent and the drive to finish the job. You deserve high praise!

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

thanks, Point and Pigumon.

there are more wip’s on the comic book super hero sculpt thread i put up a few days ago.

Don’t mean to double dip…added mephisto to the new post since he actually just hit the stores a few weeks ago.