User Gallery

Default Cardinals ZBrush Rendering Tutorial

Thumb.jpg

CardinalFinal.jpg
    CARDINAL FINAL IMAGE

This is a tutorial based on my recent Cardinals image. I've recently had a few people express interest into how the rendering was done, so I assembled the various steps involved. This version was a much larger version than the one I posted earlier as this one had to be print resolution.

My computer is a Macbook Pro with only 1.5 GB of RAM while running Windows, so memory was limited. Rather than creating the whole scene as one model with a lot of subtools, I pieced it together on the canvas.

I started with the branches. A long cylinder shape was sculpted as a branch which I duplicated and rotated on the canvas with Shift-S for quick copying and the gyro to rotate another into position. Also I had to make sure that the branch the Cardinals were sitting on went back into the canvas space so that the female could sit behind the male.

BranchPlacement.jpg

Next, I transposed the two Cardinal models and positioned them while making sure the talons were wrapping around the branches right.

CardinalPlacement.jpg

(Cardinal sculpting and coloring)
    Red.jpg
    Female.jpg

I created the redbuds from a single bud model which I duplicated several times and appended as additional subtools to make a clump of about 6 buds. Then I added the redbud clumps using the same gyro and Shift-S technique and trying not to overpopulate the scene with them. The ones that were to be further away in the scene I made just a little smaller in scale than the closer ones.

RedbudPlacement.jpg

With all the elements in place, I started working on the lights. I wanted the scene well lit so I created 7 total lights and rendered them individually as separate passes which I then composited together in Photoshop. I used "Screen" mode mainly for each layer and adjusted the intensity for each layer with the layer transparency slider. Also, doing it this way you can selectively erase the lighting from one of those layers if you like it on one part of the scene, but not the other. Once all the lighting layers were added and adjusted to my liking, it looked like the image labeled "Layers Composited". After the layers were flattened, I adjusted the levels for color intensity and saturation.

CompositeSteps.jpg

It really needed some "feathering up" at this point, so I took the smudge tool at 95% strength with a small brush size and smudged all along the edges of the Cardinals to create a more layered feather look. Then created another layer and with a small brush I painted some white feathering on the breasts of the Cardinals and on the back edges. I also added a bit of lighter strokes around the black areas of their faces.

CardinalDetail.jpg

Lastly, I duplicated the whole image and pasted a new layer in case I screwed this next step up. . This new layer was blurred a small amount. Then using the history brush, I began bringing selected areas back into focus. Then I blurred the layer again, this time with about twice the blur. Again, I used the history brush to bring certain parts back into focus. This way, I get a controlled way to create a simple DOF effect and only effect the parts I want.

I hope you find this tutorial informative!

Christopher Tackett

Senior Member User Gallery

wow, thats a really amazing render! very kind of you to share your processes with us!
    cheers a bunch Chris

yeah! thanks man!!!
    thats very informative! especially the part with the dof...
    very interesting and inspiring way, to fake dof... love it!

Thanks for the tutorial
    the final image turned out very nice !

L

You can do that in zbrush!?!? The models are insane kracken! Love the legs of the birds.

Itīs amazing ....fantastic all (render, modeling, etc....)

Default Oh yeah

Great work!

Thanks for posting this, man I love it. Top row!

-Brandon
    brandonlawless.com
    Behance
    lawless 2011
    lawless 2010

Corsair GRAPHITE 600t, i7 2600k 3.4GHz, Win 7 Pro
    16GB RAM, n580GTX lightning extreme ed
    27 inch iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, OS X Lion

really cool image and great technique
    http://mknowland.blogspot.com/
    Lead Character Artist @ Naughty Dog

The 'Internet' baby! What wonderful scenery! And the realestate is still cheap...

Wonderfully done, I have several of those birdies visiting my garden daily. Nice little tutorial.
    Jason Belec
    Kiss Your Sister Studios... YEAUCH

Eternal Zsphere thread : 'Origins' begins... : Liquid Maya

Jason can be reached at Cowboy Feng's Spacebar and Grill. If you know where it is, you are indeed privileged. It's your round.

'Obey me! I am ROOT!'

Member User Gallery

Gorgeous work. Thanks for sharing your technique

New Member User Gallery

Really amazing work! and yes, thank you for sharing it along with the process.

-love

very beautiful and perfectly executed, top row

New Member User Gallery

Thanks and Great Tutorial!

User Gallery

Thanks everyone!

Every time I think I might take a model into another application to render, I do a few test renderings in ZBrush and realize it's just as easy, if not easier, to just render it in ZBrush and still get great results. No bothering with UV unwrapping or whatnot. Just a purely artistic experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast