Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Really like the style your showing here!
    Roger
    -----------------------------
    http://www.cgsculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by markkens
    Any plans for letting the user roll their own primitives? I've seen some shapes in your work that seem to derive from shapes not commonly available in GB.

If this gets any deeper it might have a better home at the "Other Commercial Applications" thread or PM's...
    I agree that any in-depth GroBoto discussion should happen elswhere. Like my...

GroBoto Lab Work Thread
    ... In fact, I'll go ahead and address your question there later today --but quickly, I'd note that only the 'fishFace' model on the first page of this thread uses non-standard GroBoto forms -- everything else is built with 'stock' prims.

Thanks,
    Darrel

Quote Originally Posted by roger
    Really like the style your showing here!
    Hey Roger,

Thanks.
    -- dropped by your site, great character work -- love the whimsy & humor.

Thanks, Darrel.
    markkens

Default cyberSage (another blockHead)

Hey markkens -- finally posted that more detailed response to your earlier question on the GroBoto Lab Work Thread.

Here's bit of progress on the sage (one of the blockHead series... see earlier posts in this thread).

Some work on the eyes, nose & ears -- plus some overall sculpting of the head. Got started with the beard -- still plenty left to do there. I want to tie it in better with the face. The beard forms that belong to the head mesh are mostly placeholder geometry at this point. I'll probably replace/obscure most of that with additional subtool stuff.

I'd like to incorporate more tech elements in other areas -- push this towards a 'cyberSage'.

Need to fix the pencil neck.

Thanks for stopping by,
    Darrel

My GroBoto/ZBrush Synergy Page:

GroBoto Lab Work

sage5-wa.jpg

sage5-quad-sw.jpg

Here's the beard GroBoto base model:

beardGrobObj.jpg

Oh, no...Trotsky meets Neuromancer!

I like it!
    markkens

Oh, no...Trotsky meets Neuromancer!

I like it!
    Hey markkens -- thanks.
    Yes, there is sort of a weird composite-Communist thing going on here MaoTrotskyLenin.

Anyway, here's an update.
    Still want to add more tech and give the feeling that it flows throughout him. This version has some general sculpting tweaks -- but mostly the addition of the 'cyberStash' -- sculpted from another GroBoto 'bot' mesh.

Best Wishes
    Darrel

My GroBoto/ZBrush Synergy thread:

GroBoto Lab Work

sage7-wa.jpg

sage7-wb.jpg

sage7-quad.jpg

Verry nice! The neck is much improved.

I'm trying to puzzle out what you did to change the surfacing...was that just a material change? Or some option shift in the GB unified skinning?

It looks like gels on the lights, but I don't think Z does that.

Hint please.
    Last edited by markkens; 10-22-08 at 07:42 AM.
    markkens

Verry nice! The neck is much improved.

I'm trying to puzzle out what you did to change the surfacing...was that just a material change? Or some option shift in the GB unified skinning?

It looks like gels on the lights, but I don't think Z does that.

Hint please.
    Hey markkens,

Thanks.
    Pretty simple stuff re:surface...
    Backed off the contrast in the matcap (less difference in the 2 intensity sliders, and less cavity detection).

Pattern is just an alpha (see attached image) used with the Standard Brush with both RGB and very subtle ZSub on -- so the patterns are both embossed & darkened. It's a GroBoto-generated alpha BTW -- I will be making a few of them available as freebies here soon.

Other than that, a few Photoshop tweaks to help pull everything out.

Best Wishes,
    Darrel

sageColorAdj.jpg

latStripAlpha.jpg

Default Sweeeet!

To take a page from E. Cartman.
    markkens

Default cyberSage continued

Thanks markkens,

...Another GroBoto-built subobject for this guy -- now he truly fits my stylized-ethnic-heads-with-weird-stuff-growing-out-of-them series.

Still some integration to do between all of the subobjects and the head... and I plan on refining the 'headdress' a bit.

The neck, is still a pencil... I know.

Thanks for stopping by,
    Darrel

My GroBoto/ZBrush Synergy Thread
    GroBoto Lab Work

sage8-wb.jpg

sage8-wa.jpg

sage8-duo1.jpg

sage8-duo2.jpg

Hmmm...the outer fan bands make it a bit busy, but the inner bands have got some nice lines.

Probably my own arachnophobia, but the business inside the back of the head doesn't add to a 'tech-y' feeling...
    markkens

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Unique style

There is no doubt you have a unique style

good job
    Christian PC

Hey markkens,

Yes - I hear you... and agree -- it's all a bit much. That 'bit of refining' I've planned for the headdress may help... i just dropped it in yesterday and did a few gross adjustments. I'm hoping that those refinements will let me keep all of that detail, but in a less self-competitive way.

I won't know exactly what that will entail until I get back in there. That's the fun part for me -- 'seeing with the media' -- just poking around until I find what feels right. I'm often amazed how relatively small adjustments can be the critical factors -- even regarding the broad aspects like overall design & balance.

Fortunately tools like ZB & GroBoto have finally made that sort of interactive/exploratory approach viable in 3DCG -- I appreciate and admire the plan-and-execute method that many brilliant modelers employ -- but I'll never work that way.

Thanks for the feedback,

Darrel

Quote Originally Posted by Precast
    There is no doubt you have a unique style

good job
    Hey Precast,
    Yes, I can't help but be unique. It's the blessing&curse of the approach that I outlined above in my reply to markkens.

Thanks,
    Darrel

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 345678915 ... LastLast