ZBrushCentral

Subtool Number?

I’m sure there was a way to get the selected Subtool number (1-8) but I’ve lost the magic command combo. Or maybe I’m just going nuts and never had it.

There’s so many different command combinations for fetching information that it’s incredibly difficult remember which command fetches what. IModGet, IGet, IGetStatus, IGetSecondary. Gah!!

/IPress Me:Rant
ZScripting is sooo hard work. A simple script that you expect to take a few hours to create can end up taking days!. Scripting through the interface is so unreliable. As I get more involved with ZScipting I’m finding commands that don’t work reliably or commands that simply crash ZBrush (ICrash). Trying to find workarounds takes ages. It’s driving me crazy and I can understand now why there aren’t more user-created plugins for ZBrush.
/IUnPress Me:Rant

So yeah, where was I… Ah subtool number! - so is it possible to find the currently selected Subtool number?. :o

Hiya, Splodge!

I don’t think you can get the SubTool number, but you can get the current SubTool name by using [IgetTitle, Tool:Current Tool].

and shutup whining!

Yay! thanks, me! :smiley:

I’m glad you found someone to solve your problem. :slight_smile:

EDIT: You could find the subtool number but remember it changes depending on where the scrollbar is. The routine is in the script I posted for you earlier - a loop thru the subtools until you find the selected one - the subtool number will be the incremented variable (which exactly will depend on the total subtools).

Yeah, I studied your script before posting. I wasn’t just trying to find out wihich tool was selected, but rather which Sub tool within the panel of 8 subtools was selected. This was because I wanted to click on its eye icon to hide all the other visible tools and then do a Transform:Move Edit to focus upon the selected tool. I thought I needed the SubTool number but I later realized I could just use the SubTool’s name instead. I also had a fuzzy memory of me once getting the SubTool number with a single function call in an earlier experiment. Don’t trust fuzzy memories!.

Still, it’s nice to be able to beat you at answerig a question first for once. :lol: