ZBrushCentral

Rory_L Sketch Thread

I never have a lot of free time, but yesterday the urge to Z-doodle overcame me and I found half an hour to scribble, coming up with this. It is amazing how quickly you can produce decent sketches, when you don’t have concept drawings to follow!

Cheers,

R

Couldn’t resist another 30 minutes on this at lunch time!

![FelineHeadSketch01.jpg|640x480](upload://tUUCz3dywqfjq2DaLGexOWxl8fV.jpeg)![FelineHeadSketch02.jpg|640x480](upload://zgXdFOsIAONmJeob1UaMQFYINpY.jpeg)

I forgot to post this at Christmas, so I’m taking the opportunity to do so at Chinese New Year.

The image was entirely drawn in Z-Brush, with the exceptions of the halftone on the cow’s flank and the colour overlays.

Cheers,

Rory

![ChristmasCardRory2008_Small.jpg|700x985](upload://7NH5M4dEGZheSklu2UCcww9t4xO.jpeg)

Cool cow, I love it! The Zdoodle looks great too.

This is a sculpture I started out there in the real world, back in February when Britain was cluched in an icy grip and we had deep snow drifts like we had when I was a child.

Thrilled, I raced off to a local beauty spot, Brimham Rocks (UK’s answer to America’s Monument Valley :wink: ) and managed two and a half hours of (back breaking) work before the light went and bits of me started dropping off with the cold.

Unfortunately, the model wasn’t finished to my satisfaction, so I decided to continue the sculpture in ZBrush. I started with ZSpheres for the serpent and a poly plane for the background rocks.

It’s just a sketch, but it was fun to do.

Cheers,

R

![SnowSculpture01Small.jpg|1100x441](upload://d1JIYPFlHCLuKnCfJBfXXvdKrpK.jpeg)![SnowSculptureRender05.jpg|1100x555](upload://dE7BvkaPLKYngD4ktEbyxXcfzIj.jpeg)

Attachments

SnowSculpture01Small.jpg

SnowSculptureRender05.jpg

Here’s the first of a few little sculpture designs I’ll be doing. I’m going on a woodworking course in the summer and want to think through a few ideas for what to sculpt then.

This was drawn in ZBrush; prinked in PS.

![GardenSculpture01.jpg|909x623](upload://kJ7LL7DqVVnp7GLGXnoPNigez4J.jpeg)

The woodworking course has been put on hold; my wife and I bought a house in May and used the woodworking course holiday time and cash to do very much needed DIY work on the property.

This is a ‘We’ve moved’ postcard I’m sending out to people we know. Drawn in ZBrush; Lettering and spot colour applied in PS. I did the rough sketch in PaintStop, but wanted to complete the work in regular ZB because it has LazyMouse and Redo, both of which are rather useful!!

Cheers,

Rory

![MovedHouseWeb.jpg|512x683](upload://l1o6jqVqd05JLbf7xsqr64hfNyu.jpeg)![MovedHouseWeb_Thumb.jpg|100x76](upload://TMC946Gs4nI6r5HqD4sGyAdpLF.jpeg)

These are nice illustrations you have shared with us. I would be interested in your settings to achieve this nice look, or how you accomplish this. This really shows off the versatility of this software. From fantastic models to fantastic linework that you have shown us here. Good stuff!!:+1:

This is the brush tool I use. Ramp Mouse Average up to 8 to get the smoothest lines.

I have my rough sketch on one layer and draw on the next layer up. This layer is filled with a transparent material; I draw with a non-transparent version of it.

Cheers,

RComic_InkingBrush01.zip (12.9 KB)

Thanks, I will have to give this a try for sure. Really like the look of the smooth lines and inked look.

Rough shading sketch for an illustration.

![P_ChanDragonRiderShadingGuide01.jpg|650x464](upload://gjyjO9jnugpLHyTH81jbYVwQnD0.jpeg)![P_ChanDragonRiderWebThumb01.jpg|100x76](upload://9fkAaT2JdAcPkGpBiztYe91x7qy.jpeg)

I just couldn’t resist this silly joke!

![This_isnt_a_WIP.jpg|500x400](upload://b4fsjftekSD8aIW2nX6Unl6aojb.jpeg)![This_isnt_a_WIP_Thumb.jpg|100x76](upload://2eyHBZMP2mEH1oEllSNHiw6w2dq.jpeg)

lol that was funny
:+1:
ron

That is silly…:stuck_out_tongue: but funny :lol:

Hello All!

This is a painting of my wife’s soft toys, which she asked me to do to cover up a space on the wall of the room I’ve inexpertly decorated. She thinks I’m a better painter than painter. :slight_smile:

It was all done in ZBrush. The foreground characters were first drawn in regular ZB in black and white and applied as a stencil after the background had been completed in PaintStop.

The wet in wet watercolour brush was the staple tool. Fine sable for the crisp detail; water drops to add texture and also to blend paint together. Finally I threw in a scattering of airbrush splatter.

I’d love to have access to the spray dot size random value. I also felt the lack of the fit to canvas stencil option. I ended up having to paint the characters all in one session, as the stencil position does not save with the PaintStop file.

Apart from these niggles, I really very much enjoyed the PaintStop experience. The resulting image is very similar to such paintings I made in the years before my introduction to digital art, which in itself I consider a huge success.

I’ll have to start on this year’s Christmas card image now.

Cheers,

R

![P_ChanDragonRiderColour03.jpg|1000x714](upload://1wp8VegbNbluf1dLN0PbMSSukJG.jpeg)![P_ChanDragonRiderWebThumb02.jpg|137x75](upload://pHpl32bb9v9xhyWFPRcBdJgfuBM.jpeg)

Hey Rory, very nice illo!!! Funny how us painters are poor painter -decorators. I try, i really do, i’m ok, but sometimes there’s just a hideous lack of finesse :slight_smile:
Like the shading sketch too btw.

Cool work :slight_smile:

I was mistaken. It is possible to adjust the spray dot size variance and also to snap the stencil to fit the canvas. You just have to edit the PaintStop preferences to have the ZBrush menus visible. Terrific software!

R

This is the image I used as a stencil in PaintStop.

![P_ChanDragonRider_AlphaMaskWeb01.jpg|1000x714](upload://v22YGyJacLH2DtyG1kq0aCl6BR2.jpeg)![P_ChanDragonRiderWebThumb03.jpg|110x60](upload://4oIcOFXpTH1darLYaMYqGegB5MJ.jpeg)

Lovely pictures Rory, I really like your style.

And your PaintStop comments are very useful, thanks. :+1:

Hey Rory!!! Love the work you’ve done so far my friend!! REALLY love
your unique style!

I’m going to have to stop messing about and create something!

Keep on inspiring!!

:o Coming from you guys, that means a lot! Thank you.