ZBrushCentral

jramauri - The self improving thread 2d/3d (nudity)

Hi guys!

I’m starting this thread to post my studies and wips, both 2d and 3d. I have a lot of things to learn, and the best teacher is always the practice… So let’s produce.

Crits comments and advices are always appreciated.

[[attach=90716]estudos_cabeca.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘90716’,‘estudos_cabeca.jpg’,1,0))

[[attach=90717]estudos_cabeca1.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘90717’,‘estudos_cabeca1.jpg’,1,0))

An unfinished char design

[[attach=90718]Goddess_sketch0.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘90718’,‘Goddess_sketch0.jpg’,1,0))

[[attach=90719]Goddess_sketch1.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘90719’,‘Goddess_sketch1.jpg’,1,0))

[[attach=90720]Goddess_sketch_close_1.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘90720’,‘Goddess_sketch_close_1.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

estudos_cabeca.jpg

estudos_cabeca1.jpg

Goddess_sketch0.jpg

Goddess_sketch1.jpg

Goddess_sketch_close_1.jpg

icon.jpg

I’m not good doing monsters, so this is my attempt to make something disgusting.

[monstro_frente.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘90725’,‘LeiLei6.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

monstro_lado.jpg

LeiLei5.jpg

LeiLei6.jpg

Hey guys.

I started making this char last year as a cartoon girl. Her name is Jana.

[attach=91216]Jana_01.jpg[/attach]

But after that I tried to make her version with realistic shapes:

[attach=91217]Jana_2.jpg[/attach]
[attach=91218]Jana_4.jpg[/attach]

I didn’t like it, because the realistic version lacks expression, for some reason. So I returning now to the cartoon version, of her and her robot.

[attach=91219]Jana_new_concept.jpg[/attach]
[attach=91221]Robot_new_concept.jpg[/attach]

I’d apreciate crits about the realistic version - why it lacks expressiveness - and about the new version, if anyone have something to add or crit, feel free to do it :slight_smile:

Attachments

Jana_01.jpg

Jana_2.jpg

Jana_4.jpg

Jana_new_concept.jpg

Robot_new_concept.jpg

Well, it seems my works aren’t worth a single comment and that’s a pitty :frowning:

Anyway, I continue producing. This time I gave a break to experiment to do a portrait using 100% Zbrush, instead of Painter, my painting program of choice. The subject is the french actress Audrey Tautou, who played Amélie Poulain on big screen some years ago. I love her :smiley: .

I felt surprised, Zbrush is great to paint, the blend of Single Layer brush is excelent. The only thing a bit difficult is to get colors, as it doesn’t have a numerical HSV selector. Here are my steps. I started drawing over a plane 3d, filled with white flatcolor material, and when sketch was done, with the main colors, I converted polypainting to texture and filled canvas. Then the process was very straighforward, using SingleLayer brush to paint, with some alphas or none. Some comments or crits would be welcome.

[attach=91222]Audrey_01.jpg[/attach]
[attach=91223]Audrey_02.jpg[/attach]
[attach=91224]Audrey_03.jpg[/attach]
[attach=91225]Audrey_04.jpg[/attach]
[attach=91226]Audrey_05.jpg[/attach]
[attach=91227]Audrey_06.jpg[/attach]

And here’s is the final.

Audrey_final.jpg

and the original pic: http://www.amauriilustra.com.br//images/making_of/Audrey/Audrey_ref.jpg

Attachments

Audrey_01.jpg

Audrey_02.jpg

Audrey_03.jpg

Audrey_04.jpg

Audrey_05.jpg

Audrey_06.jpg

Hey jramauri! Don’t worry about this silence… the start here is always difficult but when the people will know you … you will receive a lot of replies for sure. :smiley:

Anyway be proud… you have won already a Top Row, you know. :wink:

… Oh! I forgot to tell you that your works are nice… expecially the actress portrait.

Ciao! :slight_smile:

beautiful!!! i love amélie!!! the final result is great. i’m looking forward to seeing more of your 2d work (all great)…hopefully we can see those transform to 3d.

i woulda replied sooner…but, i just saw the post :slight_smile:

Refreshing style,it can be silent here some times.Worry not for your talent will carry you forth lol.Great thread so far,cal

Hey jramauri, thats some really good works you got there. I love the fact that you made that protrait all in ZBrush. It truly does have some fantastic painting tools. As far as the models, the first monster-like model is good, just keep in mind the anatomy and fix areas like the foreamd and the biceps and keep working on it…Im sure it’s still a work in progress. Keep up the good job!:smiley:

Really good stuff you have on display here jramauri! I loved your entry for DWIII with the girl and giant toad and your cartoony illustration of “Jana” is a favourite too. Would be great to see Jana and her robot in 3D.
Your portrait of Audrey is quite lovely too, shes one of my favourite actresses too and one of the most cute too if you ask me :smiley: Fine portrait and great to see some 2.5 stuff here too.
Good luck with your future projects!

some concept my friend!

congratulations! and keep that updated!

Thanks for your kind words, my friends. They make really happy and anxious to do more and better works. More to come next days :+1:

Keep it up. I especially like 2D work done just within ZBrush. :+1:

Wow, really nice 2.5D Painting Thread.

Bookmarking this one and adding it to my ZB 2D Paint thread archive. :smiley:

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for posting, jramauri.

great going…nice to see a different use of zbrush!!!..keep them coming…they r beautiful…!!!:+1:

Thanks guys! :+1:

There goes some ups on my Wizard. Not Zbrush this time, it’s Painter. Anyway the concept is for later modeling on Z :wink:

[attach=91487]Goddess_sketch2.jpg[/attach]

[attach=91488]Goddess_sketch_close_2.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Goddess_sketch2.jpg

Goddess_sketch_close_2.jpg

Amazing.

Hi, jramauri,

I thought you might be able to use this:

Attached is a 2-layer sketch doc that allows you to either place reference or do a rough sketch on the first layer, and then go to a second layer with transparency to the first layer, so that a refined sketch can be done over the ref or rough sketch on the first layer.

Usage:
:small_orange_diamond: rough sketch on Layer 1 with RGB only, no ZAdd or material.
:small_orange_diamond: simple brush at size 2 or 3, with smooth stroke, circular alpha of any sort.
:small_orange_diamond: Switch to Layer 2 when done.
:small_orange_diamond: Transparency is preset (in material on layer) to medium.
:small_orange_diamond: Drag the material picker to get the material on Layer 2 selected, and change the transparency if desired.
:small_orange_diamond: If using Layer 2 to start a painting after finishing the sketch, hide or delete layer 1, or else set Layer 2 transparency to zero, or change the mat on Layer 2 to flat color (best choice for painting).

I like to get some brushes set up to improve workflow:
:large_orange_diamond: ‘pencil’: Simple brush, 2 pixel, 20-30 RGB intensity (remember, no mat or ZAdd)
:large_orange_diamond: ‘eraser’: Simple brush 10 pixel, high focal, 100 RGB intensity
:large_orange_diamond: ‘smudger’: Smudge brush, 8 pixel, spray stroke with no color variation, dotted alpha, med intensity, low focal, no ZAdd
To use the ‘eraser’, set secondary color to same as ‘canvas’. Then just use ‘V’ key to swap between the ‘pencil’ color and the ‘eraser’ color. The only real difference between the pencil and the eraser is color, RGB intensity, and draw size. High focal helps eraser have sharp edges of course.
:large_orange_diamond: Using the ‘pencil’ and ‘canvas’ colors, I also have a quick erase method. ‘V’ to swap colors, and CNTL-F to fill the layer with the ‘canvas’ color. I just throw down some forms from imagination, and quickly throw away anything I don’t want to continue or don’t like. Then when I like the rough sketch, I go to the second layer and refine it.

Sword Dancer:
Quick sketch in using above ZDoc (I have a zcript of this session, but it’s 1.4MB zipped.) This is the final sketch from layer two. The layer 1 sketch was super-rough skribble to just get form, gesture, etc. Obviously, it was a little too rough. There’s plenty of proportion and anatomy errors in this one:

(Disclaimer: This post in no way endorses running with sharp implements, the sketching of scantily-clad humanoid females, quick-release skirts, sexual slavery, or violence against bunny ninjas. However, other ninjas, including the mutant varieties, are still fair game.) :laughing:

Attachments

Hi, I have a few ways to work around ZBrush’s limitations:

:small_orange_diamond: In the color menu there is a System Palette button which brings up the standard Windows color chooser, which allows you to store some colors, and to chose by HSV numerical entry.
:small_orange_diamond: The fastest way to work, as many digital artists do in other apps, is put some color spots and blends on an unused area of the canvas and do quick picks from these colors as you go. Press ‘C’ as you hover the cursor over a color anywhere on the screen, including interface elements such as the built-in color chooser. (FYI, Be aware there is a known ‘C’ shortcut bug where doing another action after using ‘C’ to pick a color causes the system to jump to a different color before applying the action. Therefore, if doing a CNTL-F to fill the layer immediately after doing a ‘C’ pick, you won’t get the color you picked. However, this does not affect the workflow of ‘C’ picking a color, and then painting on the canvas.)
:small_orange_diamond: A variation of the above is to import your ref image as a texture and then apply that texture in an unused area of your canvas as a color palette from which to pick colors. You could also do this, and then use ZBrush’s Hue shifter brush, or other color-changing brushes to alter the colors of the ref image palette prior to beginning your painting.
:small_orange_diamond: Additionally, there are a few ZScripts that are color-chooser/palette-saving helper scripts, but they are all still in the ‘archived’ ZScript section. Do a search for ZSwatch, which is the most up-to-date, and works in ZB 3.1.
:small_orange_diamond: As I mention in the previous post, the smudge brush can be used with spray stroke and certain alphas to create a unique blender. Modify the setting of the smudge brush to use the center color, and it acts like it is repeatedly picking color from the starting point of the stroke and smudging this color randomly all around the path of the stroke. A different setting in the smudge brush acts as if you are dipping into the currently selected color and then smudging random spots all along the path of the stroke. With each stroke, literally hundreds, or thousands, of small dip-and-smudge actions are accomplished.

NewYorkArtist: Thanks man!

Jaycephus: Wow, a lot of information here… I’ve already knew some of these things about transparency, because I’ve made some searches about transparency issue before and found a thread started by you, where Pixolator posted a tutorial and a document for sketch. But all these things are helpful, and I intent to try them later. Thank you very much, sir.

Here’s the final of my Wizard.

[Goddess.jpg]Goddess_close_2.jpg

Attachments

Goddess_close_1.jpg

Can some kindly walk me step by step as how I should set-up a “sketch pad” with the plane3D tool? It’s really confusing, and my plane keeps turning back to red whenever i hit ctrl-z. I also noticed that when I use the standard brush, the strokes are darker but it also paints the red mat around the black strokes. Thx in advance.