New Member User Gallery

Default Rip my head to pieces

Hi, here's a head I'm working on. I'd love to have some fundamental suggestions on improving its realism (proportions, positions, shapes - that sort of thing.) As you can see my reference image isn't great, but I'd like to match this head as much as possible.

This is my first ZBrush project, so please feel free to point out anything.

Many thanks,

W

Boy1.jpg

Senior Member User Gallery

The eye an nasolabial lines shoul both me smoothe a bit, the nose should be widened, the chin should be pushed down a bit more, the jawline could be a bit more tapered, also the ears could probably be shrunk vertically and pushed out horizontally. Also, the neck is a little long and it seems like you've started to model the neckline but stopped halfway through with how it juts out. The back of the neck in the profile view could also be pushed up and widened to look like it starts to become concave closer to the bottom of the skull. I can work on a mock up in Photoshop if you'd like.

New Member User Gallery

Thanks Twichmonkey! Those comments all make sense. The only one I'm not clear on is tapering the jaw line. Does that mean thinning it as it approaches the chin.

You are absolutely right about the neck. But for now I don't plan to see much below the chin in my renders.

Thanks again, that's a big help.

W

Yes, that basically means creating a somewhat thinner jawline. He looks a little more heavy-set than he actually is in the sculpt.

New Member User Gallery

Twitchmonkey, I've tried follow your suggestions. I think thinning the jawline helped alot. He looks thinner and younger (I'll have to remember that!) I think I may have gone overboard on his cheeks.

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to keep them in mind as I go.

Cheers,

W

Boy3.jpg

Attached is how I would sculpt it, simply using the liquify tool in Zbrush. It isn't perfect but I think the liquify tool is a good tool for deciding what changes need to be made on the model without having to sculpt. On your sculpt, I think the cheeks are a bit large, you went a bit too far taking away the wrinkles and the lips are too thin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mockup.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	86972  

New Member User Gallery

Thanks Twitch, I see what you mean.

W