Member Follow User Gallery

Default script suggestion preview window

I was wondering if there is a way to generate a preview window like you could do in Photoshop with "Window>Arrange>New Window for XYZ" so i saw that the draw Pallete has such a window and you can zoom in there, but it always resets its zoom and the window is pretty small.
    So could a skilled scripter, change that Window to be sizeable and zoomable, so you could see the whole object while working on details?
    That'd be such a great feature, but maybe it's already there and i'm just missing it

greetings from Berlin

Neox

Moderator Follow User Gallery

As things are at the moment, it's not possible to do such a thing with zscripting. Certainly such a feature useful but it would likely have an impact on performance.

I once asked about this in the beta forum. It'd be great to have such a thing for doing detail work but, at the same time, keeping the gestalt and the silhouette of the whole model in your view. It'd be great to have a little window on the right side of the interface that'd always show the complete model, maybe with a button that'd let us switch between shaded and silhouette.

Member Follow User Gallery

But the feature is already there? You can do it with the "current tool preview" in the draw pallete, but you can't control what it shows, i didn't feel any performance problems, when having that toolbar activated.

Buit if it's not possible, nevermind, but would be a great addition for a later releasy, as you always have to keep the silhouette and overall appeal in mind, instead of loosing yourself in details noone would see.

Moderator Follow User Gallery

Certainly there is the Draw palette preview (there is also the Preview submenu in the Tool palette) but this is small, it does not update in real time and it's not possible to (easily) change the display. ZScripting can't improve on any of that; a solution would need access to ZBrush internal data structures.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

The Alternate Document View might provide most of what you need.

Enabling Preferences > Interface > Show Alt Doc View splits the document viewport horizontally. Either half can be used to modify the canvas or model in, and the zoom level for one half is independent of the other.

The only drawback is that the Alt Doc View splits horizontally only and it is not possible to have independent orientation of 3D Tools.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Mahler
    I once asked about this in the beta forum. It'd be great to have such a thing for doing detail work but, at the same time, keeping the gestalt and the silhouette of the whole model in your view. It'd be great to have a little window on the right side of the interface that'd always show the complete model, maybe with a button that'd let us switch between shaded and silhouette.
    Hey Thomas, could you just turn Flat render on? That would give you the silhouette you are looking for, i think. a hotkey could assigned to it and simple script written to toggle between the flat and preview render.

Ryan
    UArtsy - the Online Art School

Hey Ryan,

Sure, I'm doing this all the time already. But what Steffen and I are talking about is - Say you're detailing out a characters pants - you're sculpting the forms, you're pushing and pulling it around and you're zoomed into the model. What'd be great is, since most people already use Widescreens and most of the time you'll have a toolbar open at least on the right side of the screen in Z, to have another representation of the model in it's whole like the preview in the Draw Palette. Just to check silhouettes and for keeping an eye on the forms.

Now, imagine we'd have a few options there, like, what subtools it'd show and the shading itself. So we could focus on one tool on the canvas and sculpt it out, but still get a preview of the whole model with all the SubTools on the right side of the Screen. So I could sculpt the arm of a character and have everything else hidden, use Tranpose and would still be able to check the silhouette and the character as a whole. That'd really make things a lot more comfortable!